Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

32 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

3. That said my expectation was for this team to be more energetic to start the season. And that’s my number one issue, motivation. Hopefully that changes.

We do have to keep in mind that they deliberately went softer in the preseason, and that was a calculated decision that I think made a lot of sense. The season is long. 

Maybe a 4-2+ start (which they easily could have) might have kept the team chill and cruising for too long. 

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Have a weird feeling Raleigh Webb is going to end up being a better receiver than anyone on our roster now that the Patriots have scooped him.

Pats taking developmental WRs from us is like the two dumbest kids in class stealing each others test answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

I'm going to skip the "clutch" stuff, because... I think that is gobbledygook.

How is it nonsense when it's literally the reason we've lost 3 games so far? The inability to close out games is a real thing and we personify not being able to do it.

You had low expectations for the offense? So you expected like the 20th or worse offense and we aren't at that level in you. So we're like the 25th best offense in your mind so far? I'm making up numbers for you, but whatever you fill in there based on your statements, I completely disagree with.

I don't think we're a bad offense at all...until the 4th quarter. In fact, we're not a bad team (in general, our defense is mediocre until the 4th, then they become awful) until the 4th quarter, and the stats/splits show that.

Baltimore Ravens 2021 Offensive Splits | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Are you really... like seriously... throwing out 3 games when we have 6 games? What happens if you don't throw away any data from an already too small sample size? Is it still disappointing given you "didn't have much expectations"?

If someone has 3 good games then 3 bad games, it's fair to evaluate the most recent sample size, is it not? The NFL doesn't allow for large sample sizes within a given season, so I think 6 games is a really good sample size and so far Lamar has been up and down consistently, with the most recent trend going downwards.

We're closer on the defense. It's not just Bowser and Ojabo, Houston has also missed most of the season (only 6 snaps in week 3). And he was critical to the plan in the first half of season. Which I do think was poor planning. 

We'll see about the defense. We're going to be without Marcus Williams for a while and I wouldn't bank on getting Bowser or Ojabo to significantly contribute for a while either. It's also worth mentioning Bowser isn't exactly a great pass rusher and Ojabo is a rookie. The best thing they can do is keep our other guys fresh, but we still don't have an elite pass rusher on this roster.

9 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If someone has 3 good games then 3 bad games, it's fair to evaluate the most recent sample size, is it not? The NFL doesn't allow for large sample sizes within a given season, so I think 6 games is a really good sample size and so far Lamar has been up and down consistently, with the most recent trend going downwards.

Don't you think it is more than a coincidence that the moment Bateman got injured, that's when the play got worse? We had put up 20 points in a half against the Bills top defense, and then Bateman got injured the offense has been rough ever since. 

It's less of a "trend" than the result of not having a #1 WR who can threaten the defense.

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Don't you think it is more than a coincidence that the moment Bateman got injured, that's when the play got worse? We had put up 20 points in a half against the Bills top defense, and then Bateman got injured the offense has been rough ever since. 

It's less of a "trend" than the result of not having a #1 WR who can threaten the defense.

I don't, no. It certainly doesn't help, but my critiques of our offense are completely unrelated to Bateman being out of the lineup.

The offense wasn't struggling to move the ball at all against NYG. We had over 400 yards of total offense, 7 yards/play. The critiques I have are the mental lapses and inability to close out games. The illegal formation on Drake, the failure to execute simple plays that pushed us out of Tucker's FG range or resulted in the missed FG, Lamar not being ready for a snap then throwing back across his body for a boneheaded INT, Lamar fumbling on the next possession.

Those things don't have anything to do with Bateman being in the lineup or not. And those were just things that happened in the NYG game.

16 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Speaking of our offense, every time I go "well Greg Roman's scheme isn't that bad this year", I see examples like this:

Look at the route combo at the top of the screen. What is that?!

It looks like a "we don't know what the play is and the ball isn't coming our way" route.

Nothing burger

Edited by M.10.E

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Would love me some Elijah Moore. And if I recall correctly, he was going to be the pick for us two years ago until Bateman fell to us. 

I like the college prospect, but dude is complaining and requesting trades in his second season with the team? Just imagine him within our offense? He’ll be soon requesting a trade again anyway, plus you already know he’s going to try and rang whichever team over the coles when it comes contract time. Seems like too much of a diva.

Still hoping for DJ Moore, he obviously isn’t a diva and Lamar would be the most talented QB he’s ever had. A 1st round pick is too rich for me, but a 2nd and a conditional 2nd/3rd (if he hits 1200+ receiving yards in either season) would work for me.

Obtaining Moore, bringing back Bateman, having Jackson, and still having Duvernay… would be enough ammunition that would make our offense (mostly) playoff proof IMO.

Regardless of route combos you’d have Moore, Duvernay, Likely, and Bateman all as guys that can get YAC, you’d have Bateman and Jackson as legit deep threat options, and then Andrews and Duvernay for reliability.

But I’m already preparing myself for Moore to get traded for a bucket of chicken and some Cole slaw and wondering why EDC couldn’t add a drink to get the deal done here.

3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Panthers GM has come out and said that it would take a significant offer to get one of their core young players. 

I think a 1st round pick for DJ Moore is a no brainer. I'd pull the trigger, would y'all? 

Nah. I’m personally gun shy on a 1st round pick. If we did it, I wouldn’t storm the streets or anything. But to me it boils down to:

1) WR fit- Moore isn’t a bad scheme fit or WR fit for Lamar. I think they would work well together, but I don’t think he’s not the ideal option and if we get him it sort of closes the door for an investment where we could obtain that ideal fit.
- Ideal fit = wide catch radius, elite hands, physical at the point of attack ie Anquan Boldin type.

2) Opportunity cost- We’ve seen some interesting talents fall in the draft’s 1st round and I would hate to not have the ammunition to scoop them up if such came to fruition.

3) Usage- I do think Moore would put us over the top for this season- in WR talent, but will we use Moore enough to justify the value of a 1st round pick? Maybe. In another scheme, it would be a no brainer.

I would absolutely go for two 2nd round picks however. The value is close, but if needed we can always trade down with our 1st to accumulate additional assets. Or we could do a condition for one of the 2nds or something. But as the condition might not be viewed favorable we could always include an additional 2023 pick, ie 2023 2nd & 4th + 2024 conditional 2nd.

17 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Nah. I’m personally gun shy on a 1st round pick. If we did it, I wouldn’t storm the streets or anything. But to me it boils down to:

1) WR fit- Moore isn’t a bad scheme fit or WR fit for Lamar. I think they would work well together, but I don’t think he’s not the ideal option and if we get him it sort of closes the door for an investment where we could obtain that ideal fit.
- Ideal fit = wide catch radius, elite hands, physical at the point of attack ie Anquan Boldin type.

2) Opportunity cost- We’ve seen some interesting talents fall in the draft’s 1st round and I would hate to not have the ammunition to scoop them up if such came to fruition.

3) Usage- I do think Moore would put us over the top for this season- in WR talent, but will we use Moore enough to justify the value of a 1st round pick? Maybe. In another scheme, it would be a no brainer.

I would absolutely go for two 2nd round picks however. The value is close, but if needed we can always trade down with our 1st to accumulate additional assets. Or we could do a condition for one of the 2nds or something. But as the condition might not be viewed favorable we could always include an additional 2023 pick, ie 2023 2nd & 4th + 2024 conditional 2nd.

Good points. 

Apparently the Panthers turned down two 1st round picks for Burns and officially announced Moore isn't available. So that's that.. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Good points. 

Apparently the Panthers turned down two 1st round picks for Burns and officially announced Moore isn't available. So that's that.. 

Makes sense on their part. Just because they suck doesn’t mean they need to toss a grenade into their offense.

They’ll likely be drafting a QB and having a #1 WR makes sense as a quality building block.