2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

3 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

I'm personally in the "don't pay a lot for RBs" camp.

I think Jones / Williams / Draft Pick would be just fine. Lev Bell is an unnecessary luxury.

I agree.  We got about 1200 yards from Jones/Williams last season and were 22nd overall in team rushing, with the fewest attempts in the league.  Both are young, capable, and cheap.  The team can increase the number of carries for both of them pretty easily, and they compliment each other pretty well.  They should be 1-2 until they become FAs.  We can get by with a UDFA or real late draft pick for the 3rd RB.

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Was just thinking...Titans have Henry.  Jags have Fournette.  How about a power back in free agency?  I think that Williams fits that bill....but....how about Jay Agayi?  Spotrac has him at 2 years, 7.3M projection.  Or...Mark Ingram?  Again Spotrac has his projection at 2 years, 9M.

I think that the roster is going to churn more than we expect, though I don't see getting rid of either Williams or Jones on those rookie deals.  They do have value.  But adding a lead/power back isn't the worst idea....  

(And no, I'm not advocating RB over S, EDGE help)

power backs are just backs who gain less yardage

46 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I agree.  We got about 1200 yards from Jones/Williams last season and were 22nd overall in team rushing, with the fewest attempts in the league.  Both are young, capable, and cheap.  The team can increase the number of carries for both of them pretty easily, and they compliment each other pretty well.  They should be 1-2 until they become FAs.  We can get by with a UDFA or real late draft pick for the 3rd RB.

Until Jones gets hurt again then you're rolling with just Williams as a proven runner.

Edited by Arthur Penske

9 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Goldedn Tate is someone I have seen a fair amount of times around here. Saw an idea for someone younger, cheaper, and more experienced in this scheme: Jamison Crowder.

Crowder, John Brown and JJ Nelson are my WR targets. Think we should buy low in FA and draft another wherever we find value (other than pick 12) and add them to the current group.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Crowder, John Brown and JJ Nelson are my WR targets. Think we should buy low in FA and draft another wherever we find value (other than pick 12) and add them to the current group.

do you like Humphries at all?

Edited by gopackgo247

13 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Jordan Howard is an average RB.But even if they get Hunt I can't see them releasing him

Jordan Howard is a lot better than just average when it comes to running the ball.  He's been a durable, consistent 4+ YPC rusher who's averaged 1100 yards rushing per season.  

The list of current runners in the NFL who have had that sort of success this early into their career isn't that long.  He's got 300 fewer rushing yards than Melvin Gordon and he's been in the league for 1 less season (Howard has played in 8 fewer games).  

There is no way Chicago would just release him.  He's just 24 and has been one of the NFL's more productive backs over his first 3 years.  If they didn't want him they'd have no issues trading him for an early pick IMO.

4 minutes ago, SSG said:

Humphries is likely going to be this UFA's most expensive WR.  A hard pass for me given the likely contract.  

what would make you think that a slot only WR with middling production in a pass first offense would be the most desired FA?

Maybe he gets overpaid, but no way he pulls more than tate.