2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

I have no ****ing idea why so many people here want Preston Smith or Z. Smith.  What about contract years do people not understand?  Z. Smith just had 8.5 sacks.  You want to pay someone with 18.5 career sacks 15 million per?

And Preston Smith?  You're okay with spending 15 million per on a player who fluctuates between 8 sacks, 4 sacks, 8 sacks, 4 sacks?  

Free Agency makes people lose their senses.  I remember when (some) Vikings fans were convinced that Bernard Berrian was the solution to all of their WR woes just because he was the top WR in FA and they got him.  My sincere hope regarding the edge rushers is to let some of the teams that pick before us overpay for those guys.

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why is it clickbait? Cohen is usually reliable but I don’t have athletic subscription.

loveto read this:

Cohen reports the Packers would like to bring in “multiple” edge rushers this offseason.”

I just consider everything clickbait 1 week before the frenzy lol.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

We're going to miss out on everybody in free agency.  

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I have no ****ing idea why so many people here want Preston Smith or Z. Smith.  What about contract years do people not understand?  Z. Smith just had 8.5 sacks.  You want to pay someone with 18.5 career sacks 15 million per?

And Preston Smith?  You're okay with spending 15 million per on a player who fluctuates between 8 sacks, 4 sacks, 8 sacks, 4 sacks?  

Lol so “we’re gonna miss out on everybody but don’t sign anybody expensive”?

It at the same time there are no second tier free agents? A bit contradictory.

12 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Lol so “we’re gonna miss out on everybody but don’t sign anybody expensive”?

It at the same time there are no second tier free agents? A bit contradictory.

The first one was hyperbole and despair at the Ravens allegedly ready to make a strong push for Matthieu.

The second had zero to do with anything.  If you think it's a good idea to sign either Smith to 15 million per, you deserve Perry and Matthews contracts for another 4 years.  

You don't even know what contradictory means if you think those two quotes are contradictory.  

Man I'm totally on the fence with Landon Collins. 

Is he a great player? Yes. 

Would I love seeing him in green and gold? Yes. 

Is he a great fit? Idk, I'd like to think a player of his caliber can fit into any defense. 

I think we could have a poor man's version of Collins in Burks. I'll just say, if we sign him I'll be excited as hell, if we don't I won't be depressed about it...

10 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Is he a great player? Yes

Is he though?  Or is he over hyped because he's a free agent?  I keep hearing here and there that he's really not that good.  Not bad, but not good enough to be worth big free agent money.  I haven't watched any film on him so I don't know.  I'm just always very Leary of free agents because people usually get overly excited about players Just because their team needs someone at a particular position.  I like Mathieu and Thomas but don't know anything about the other guys.  I like Weddle too but I don't know if he's about done physically and/or if he's willing to play anymore (he said last season he wouldn't play for any team other than Baltimore so he might just retire).  Not a fan of any of the edge rushers because those guys are almost always fool's gold and way overpriced, although I'd go after Cameron Wake or Suggs if they can be had relatively inexpensively.

27 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Man I'm totally on the fence with Landon Collins. 

Is he a great player? Yes. 

Would I love seeing him in green and gold? Yes. 

Is he a great fit? Idk, I'd like to think a player of his caliber can fit into any defense. 

I think we could have a poor man's version of Collins in Burks. I'll just say, if we sign him I'll be excited as hell, if we don't I won't be depressed about it...

I’m kinda looking at Jackson being moved into the center fielder role, and Collins compliments that well.

3 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Not a fan of any of the edge rushers because those guys are almost always fool's gold and way overpriced, although I'd go after Cameron Wake or Suggs if they can be had relatively inexpensively.

I like Suggs. Would love to see him in GB, but it sounds like BAL and him have mutual interest. Why would he come here at a bargain? 

It’s not like we’re coming off a SB victory and can play the “play for a winner” pitch. This might be the hardest year to convince a player to come to GB in the past 20 seasons. Rodgers looked off. New coach. Two years of mediocrity. We’re going to need to overpay to land a FA. If we’re gonna overpay, we should probably aim higher IMO.

3 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

I like Suggs. Would love to see him in GB, but it sounds like BAL and him have mutual interest. Why would he come here at a bargain? 

It’s not like we’re coming off a SB victory and can play the “play for a winner” pitch. This might be the hardest year to convince a player to come to GB in the past 20 seasons. Rodgers looked off. New coach. Two years of mediocrity. We’re going to need to overpay to land a FA. If we’re gonna overpay, we should probably aim higher IMO.

Wow, no **** Captain Obvious.

Gute’s talked about how last year he laid the groundwork for free agency. A lot of agents didn’t believe they were serious players in the market, so they spent a lot of effort getting into every conversation. He said he expects it to be easier this year. 

Tbat said, @Outpost31, you should prepare yourself for us signing a few players. Our front office seems ready to get starters through free agency. Gute said at the combine that the team is in a place where they’ll be more active in free agency.

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I get where you are coming from, but that is the going rate for teir 2 edges who are in their prime. I’d comp both as players to Perry (solid production, 1 top 20 season). He got 11.8 a year 2 years ago. The caps had gone up 21 million since then (12.5%), so using Perry as a baramoter, 13-15 a year is probably the right range.

Archived