2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

19 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'd pay Justin Houston without hesitation over Zadarius and Preston. Likely similar cost for fewer years

We're in a good spot to be well informed on both Houston and Ford.  Our new linebackers coach, Mike Smith, surely know each player very well.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Hopefully the supply and demand bring down the Safety market. But it sure sounds like it’s not cheap right now.

Pay the safeties, draft the edge guys. Steep for a S gets you Earl, Honey Badger or Landon Collins (all All Pros at some point I believe) and you're probably in the 12m range. Steep at EDGE is probably going to be 3-5m more per year and nets you Preston Smith. Choice seems obvious. Drive that S market Gutey.

2 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I get where you are coming from, but that is the going rate for teir 2 edges who are in their prime. I’d comp both as players to Perry (solid production, 1 top 20 season). He got 11.8 a year 2 years ago. The caps had gone up 21 million since then (12.5%), so using Perry as a baramoter, 13-15 a year is probably the right range.

Yeah, Perry is literally why you don't make those signings.  You should not contribute that much of your cap to a player who has shown that little in their career. 

My dream scenario is that we land Hockenson as the 12th pick and trade our 30th pick for AB. Having Hockenson takes pressure of Graham and good luck double-teaming both Brown and Adams.

Its a risky move to go all offense in the 1st round but I think you pickup DE's in the 2nd round and on and add safety help combined from the draft and FA's. We have too many holes to fill on D to make us a great defense but getting AB and Hockenson would make us a great offense.

Just now, fistfullofbeer said:

My dream scenario is that we land Hockenson as the 12th pick and trade our 30th pick for AB. Having Hockenson takes pressure of Graham and good luck double-teaming both Brown and Adams.

Its a risky move to go all offense in the 1st round but I think you pickup DE's in the 2nd round and on and add safety help combined from the draft and FA's. We have too many holes to fill on D to make us a great defense but getting AB and Hockenson would make us a great offense.

How long have you been a Bears fan? 

3 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Guessing you disagree with me. Insulting me, seems like a productive response.

But just to clarify, there is no team in the NFL I hate more than the Bears. And the Seahawks (local team).

Oh c'mon that was funny and harmless. Let's not be so sensitive to call that an insult.

13 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Dream?  If we're doing either of those things (Drafting Hock at 12 or trading #30 for AB) we're gonna have to be ultra active in UFA (Which Brown kind of limits) and/ or use that other first round pick on defense.  I'm all about us not continuing to ignore the offense via the top end draft prospects but there are too many holes on this team to treat the defense like our bone headed front office has treated the offense over the last 4 years (ie using low end draft prospects or drafted free agents as the only talent influx). 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Oh c'mon that was funny and harmless. Let's not be so sensitive to call that an insult.

Being called a Bears fan is an insult to me. Thats the kind of stuff I may find funny after a few beers in me. And if I am hanging out with friends at a bar. Not early in the morning. Before I have had coffee.

6 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Being called a Bears fan is an insult to me. Thats the kind of stuff I may find funny after a few beers in me. And if I am hanging out with friends at a bar. Not early in the morning. Before I have had coffee.

It's OK to get on Outposts nerves here. Wear it like a badge of honor.

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, at this point I think I'd rather have Tre Boston for half the price.

Agree with this. While I think everyone would be excited to get Thomas. It would probably be smarter to pay Boston 5-6 million a year and another safety 3-4 Million a year; add Josh Jones plus a mid-round safety like Armani Hooker and I would feel pretty good about our safety position.  

Archived