2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

I wanted to start a question with a poll but don't know if that would be frowned upon given the parallels to this topic. 

What is the best chance to land our next franchise qb would you rather per say. 

Let Elway pick one round 1. 

Or Elway lean on Scarengello and give him freedom to hand pick one in the middle rounds?

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I wanted to start a question with a poll but don't know if that would be frowned upon given the parallels to this topic. 

Or Elway lean on Scarengello and give him freedom to hand pick one in the middle rounds?

With this class and picking 10? Middle rounds. 

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I agree and I think that's the route they'll take just don't get the meeting with the guy from Washington state. He was brutal at the senior bowl he was like 2 of 9 lol .

12 minutes ago, Counselor said:

It was a general question though. I still like the answer would be the Scangarello mid round pick option.

My thought process is this. You can break down the draft in an analytical way. And say the % chance of a first rounder being a franchise qb and on and on. Fact always remains, a situation greatly impacts a players development.  

Kirk Cousins is a prime example drafted in the 4th round primarily because snyder has his hands on everything and made mike trade up for rg3. So Mike was like f this I'm gonna draft and develop my own qb. 

That situation should of been a disaster but Kirk had a good oline and good offensive coaches around him so he played better than the draft spot suggested. Environment has so much to do with it and it  really gets overlooked. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Option two, because it also means you're not invested enough to settle and can keep taking shots. I'd draft a QB every year until they have one or two they feel good about. They had to know after a summer of practices with Paxton that he wasn't likely to work out. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Option two, because it also means you're not invested enough to settle and can keep taking shots. I'd draft a QB every year until they have one or two they feel good about. They had to know after a summer of practices with Paxton that he wasn't likely to work out. 

I agree with all of this. I just like the structure so far we'll see if it pays dividends so far. Elway has had his picks at qb Lynch , Osweiler. Gary Kubiak has had his Keenum, Siemian. But Kubiak didn't even get to work with Keenum kind of a bad plan.

This plan actually sounds promising especially with the success mullens had last year an undrafted guy. If he can get the most out of Mullens I'm excited to see what he can do with a mid round pick. 

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

We're talking about scouting QBs and this line of argument is always laughable...but since you asked...I thought Brock and Paxton were terrible picks at the time, so I win. Boom. Give me the keys to the kingdom. 

So, I pretty much agree with ya but with one major point. IMO Brock was one of the best 2nd rd picks we've ever had. Without him, no way do we win a SB in 20215. If I remember right we also got a pretty good comp pick for him.

For the 7 games he started for this franchise he was 5-2 with an amazing 4th quarter comeback against the Pats. Without that win we don't win the SB.

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, I pretty much agree with ya but with one major point. IMO Brock was one of the best 2nd rd picks we've ever had. Without him, no way do we win a SB in 20215. If I remember right we also got a pretty good comp pick for him.

For the 7 games he started for this franchise he was 5-2 with an amazing 4th quarter comeback against the Pats. Without that win we don't win the SB.

You don't think Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson couldn't of accomplished the same thing?

10 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

How many QB situations have been as bad as Denver's since the Super Bowl? 

There are a few -

Browns - 

2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)

2016 Cody Kessler (8) / Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3)

2017 DeShone Kizer (15) / Kevin Hogan (1)

2018 Baker Mayfield (13) / Tyrod Taylor (3)

Jets -

2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2016 Ryan Fitzpatrick (11) / Bryce Petty (4) / Geno Smith (1)

2017 Josh McCown (13) / Bryce Petty (3)

2018 Sam Darnold (13) / Josh McCown (3)

Bills -

2015 Matt Cassel (1) / Tyrod Taylor (13) / EJ Manuel (2)

2016 Tyrod Taylor (15) / EJ Manuel (1)

2017 Tyrod Taylor (14) / Nathan Peterman (2)

2018 Josh Allen (11) / Nathan Peterman (2) / Derek Anderson (1) / LeSean McCoy (1)*/ Matt Barkley (1)

Dolphins -

2015 Ryan Tannehill (16)

2016 Ryan Tannehill (13)Matt Moore (3)

2017 Jay Cutler (14)Matt Moore (2)

2018 Ryan Tannehill (11)Brock Osweiler (5)

Cards -

2015 Carson Palmer (16)

2016 Carson Palmer (15) / Drew Stanton (1)

2017 Carson Palmer (7) / Blaine Gabbert (5) / Drew Stanton (4)

2018 Josh Rosen (13) / Sam Bradford (3)

Of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL last year - 12 have been drafted since 2015 - including 4 drafted last year (and the jury is still out on all four).

Of these 11 starting QBs - 

Drafted 1.1 - Mayfield, Goff, Winston

Drafted 1.2 - Wentz, Trubisky, 

Drafted 1.3 - Darnold

Of the remainder - 

Mahomes 1.10 (Broncos drafted Bolles at 1.20)

Prescott 4.135 (Dallas tried to trade up to take Lynch)

Watson 1.12 (Broncos drafted Bolles at 1.20)

Allen 1.17 (jury out)

Rosen 1.10 (jury out)

Driskel 6.207

In 2017 the Broncos did try to trade up - and Watson was mentioned - but it was a year after taking Lynch and he was regarded as a project.

If you want to be sure of a franchise QB you need to be drafting top three - they must warrant that pick - and there is still no guarantee that you get an NFL caliber QB.

Now - it is possible that the Cards are shopping Rosen - and if they are I would consider giving a second rounder for him - but it looks like if he is traded his destination could be NE.

3 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

There are a few -

Browns - 

2015 Josh McCown (8) / Johnny Manziel (6) / Austin Davis (2)

2016 Cody Kessler (8) / Robert Griffin III (5) / Josh McCown (3)

2017 DeShone Kizer (15) / Kevin Hogan (1)

2018 Baker Mayfield (13) / Tyrod Taylor (3)

Jets -

2015 Ryan Fitzpatrick (16)

2016 Ryan Fitzpatrick (11) / Bryce Petty (4) / Geno Smith (1)

2017 Josh McCown (13) / Bryce Petty (3)

2018 Sam Darnold (13) / Josh McCown (3)

Bills -

2015 Matt Cassel (1) / Tyrod Taylor (13) / EJ Manuel (2)

2016 Tyrod Taylor (15) / EJ Manuel (1)

2017 Tyrod Taylor (14) / Nathan Peterman (2)

2018 Josh Allen (11) / Nathan Peterman (2) / Derek Anderson (1) / LeSean McCoy (1)*/ Matt Barkley (1)

Dolphins -

2015 Ryan Tannehill (16)

2016 Ryan Tannehill (13)Matt Moore (3)

2017 Jay Cutler (14)Matt Moore (2)

2018 Ryan Tannehill (11)Brock Osweiler (5)

Cards -

2015 Carson Palmer (16)

2016 Carson Palmer (15) / Drew Stanton (1)

2017 Carson Palmer (7) / Blaine Gabbert (5) / Drew Stanton (4)

2018 Josh Rosen (13) / Sam Bradford (3)

Of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL last year - 12 have been drafted since 2015 - including 4 drafted last year (and the jury is still out on all four).

Of these 11 starting QBs - 

Drafted 1.1 - Mayfield, Goff, Winston

Drafted 1.2 - Wentz, Trubisky, 

Drafted 1.3 - Darnold

Of the remainder - 

Mahomes 1.10 (Broncos drafted Bolles at 1.20)

Prescott 4.135 (Dallas tried to trade up to take Lynch)

Watson 1.12 (Broncos drafted Bolles at 1.20)

Allen 1.17 (jury out)

Rosen 1.10 (jury out)

Driskel 6.207

In 2017 the Broncos did try to trade up - and Watson was mentioned - but it was a year after taking Lynch and he was regarded as a project.

If you want to be sure of a franchise QB you need to be drafting top three - they must warrant that pick - and there is still no guarantee that you get an NFL caliber QB.

Now - it is possible that the Cards are shopping Rosen - and if they are I would consider giving a second rounder for him - but it looks like if he is traded his destination could be NE.

4 out of the 5 teams you mentioned drafted a QB in the first round last year, while we're paying almost 40 mil to crappy QBs like Keenum and Flacco. 

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

You don't think Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles, Russell Wilson couldn't of accomplished the same thing?

Nope. He had two 14 point 4th Q comebacks in his wins. Thats hard for anyone to do.

1 hour ago, BroncoSojia said:

4 out of the 5 teams you mentioned drafted a QB in the first round last year, while we're paying almost 40 mil to crappy QBs like Keenum and Flacco. 

Yes they did - and Elway tried to trade up to get Darnold. The jury is out on all four guys - they may or may not succeed (and Elway didn't rate Allen or Rosen - he may be proven right on wrong on that decision).

Unless you are drafting top of the draft it really is a crap shoot. Lose one extra game that season and it could have been a different kettle of fish.

Elway has not succeeded in getting a QB and deserves criticism for that. But to think that it is easy to find a QB is nonsense.

Having Flacco means that the Broncos do not have to draft a QB this year - in what is considered a weak QB class. Unless some other avenue is found Elway will have to take one next year - and he will likely have to sell the farm to get one.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Yes they did - and Elway tried to trade up to get Darnold. The jury is out on all four guys - they may or may not succeed (and Elway didn't rate Allen or Rosen - he may be proven right on wrong on that decision).

Unless you are drafting top of the draft it really is a crap shoot. Lose one extra game that season and it could have been a different kettle of fish.

Elway has not succeeded in getting a QB and deserves criticism for that. But to think that it is easy to find a QB is nonsense.

Having Flacco means that the Broncos do not have to draft a QB this year - in what is considered a weak QB class. Unless some other avenue is found Elway will have to take one next year - and he will likely have to sell the farm to get one.

I always like your pragmatic, realistic posts @jolly red giant. Kinda refreshing.

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

No one said it was easy. That doesn't mean he gets a pass. 

Archived