You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

Probably not the popular pick, but my #1 pick would be Josh McDaniels.  NE seems to get the most out of their players and actually schemes players open.  They know what they have in terms of personnel and play to their strengths rather than force them into the system.   Watching the Packers-Patriots game it's clear the difference in that game was coaching.  

Yes, he failed in Denver, but his boss also failed at his first attempt as a HC.  He may be in-line to inherit the head coaching job in NE, but is that desirable without Brady?  Getting Rodgers through 2022 maybe enough to entice him away.

I'd like to keep Pettine, but he may be a casualty in a coaching change.

Hate the Defilipo love.  Hiring a Vikings offensive coordinator right now is like hiring a Belichick disciple.  Philbin/McCarthy would look like up and coming offensive geniuses if they had Rudolph/Thielen/Diggs. 

Vikings aren't even particularly better on offense after going from Keenum to Cousins when you consider the state of rules favoring the offense from last year to this year. 

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Hate the Defilipo love.  Hiring a Vikings offensive coordinator right now is like hiring a Belichick disciple.  Philbin/McCarthy would look like up and coming offensive geniuses if they had Rudolph/Thielen/Diggs. 

Vikings aren't even particularly better on offense after going from Keenum to Cousins when you consider the state of rules favoring the offense from last year to this year. 

McCarthy has Rodgers and looks like a bum, so, no.  He'd play to the weaknesses of the offense and the strengths of the defense and make executing a simple play look like performing open heart surgery.

Just now, Patriotplayer90 said:

McCarthy has Rodgers and looks like a bum, so, no.  He'd play to the weaknesses of the offense and the strengths of the defense and make executing a simple play look like performing open heart surgery.

Packers are scoring more points offensively with Adams and MVS than the Vikings are with Thielen/Diggs.  So no. 

I like that argument tactic.  "So no."  I'll just start saying, "So no," to you and automatically win arguments, right? 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Packers are scoring more points offensively with Adams and MVS than the Vikings are with Thielen/Diggs.  So no. 

I like that argument tactic.  "So no."  I'll just start saying, "So no," to you and automatically win arguments, right? 

I'm not sold on DeFilippo either, but he did have a hand in an offense which won a SB with a backup QB.  How did McCarthy's offense stack up with a backup?

Anyway, he doesn't have Rodgers and he has one of the worst OLs in the league.  Minnesota's OC from a year ago isn't looking so hot now, nor is Keenum, so that was just a fluke year from all parties involved, not a basis for comparison.  There are clearly issues with personnel which were hidden, presumably because the defense was playing at such a high level. 

Frank Reich is doing a fantastic job in Indy without an All Star supporting cast around Luck, and he has absolutely no play calling duties in Philadelphia.  Vrabel coached one of the worst defenses in the league last year, now he has one of the best .  Gute will have to do more than simply look at NFL.com stats to determine if a coach can succeed here, just as other GMs shouldn't judge McCarthy solely by his offense's stats with the most talented and improvisational QB and of all time.

I already posted the most extensive list somewhere else on this forum to show there will be no shortage of good candidates. Now after a few conversations and some digging I think I have it narrowed down to the 2 most likely successors. I believe the choice will come down to Matt LaFleur and Matt Campbell with Campbell named 15th head coach in Packers history.

Having been saddled with a coach who was given a great deal of say this past season, Gute is not going to be looking to bring in a head coach who will expect and demand the equal footing McCarthy had this year. Gute is going to want a head coach who controls what happens on the field and defers to him on personnel. You can rule out former NFL coaches and any college coach seeking to have a major say in player acquisition ala Chip Kelly upon arrival in Philly. That means no coach demanding power or requiring a certain type of player to fit their system. Gute is going to want a coach who can mold their schemes to fit that personnel provided to them. That coach will be Matt Campbell.

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I already posted the most extensive list somewhere else on this forum to show there will be no shortage of good candidates. Now after a few conversations and some digging I think I have it narrowed down to the 2 most likely successors. I believe the choice will come down to Matt LaFleur and Matt Campbell with Campbell named 15th head coach in Packers history.

Having been saddled with a coach who was given a great deal of say this past season, Gute is not going to be looking to bring in a head coach who will expect and demand the equal footing McCarthy had this year. Gute is going to want a head coach who controls what happens on the field and defers to him on personnel. You can rule out former NFL coaches and any college coach seeking to have a major say in player acquisition ala Chip Kelly upon arrival in Philly. That means no coach demanding power or requiring a certain type of player to fit their system. Gute is going to want a coach who can mold their schemes to fit that personnel provided to them. That coach will be Matt Campbell.

Matt Campbell? From Iowa St. to the NFL with no pro experience? That's quite a jump. Why do you put him over LaFleur? Do you think LaFleur is going to want too much say?

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Jim >> John.

I actually like Jim's antics. I think he cares deeply.

He's also a former QB with a pedigree and would have an inherent deserved respect from Aaron.

No. No. No.  He's a high cryer. Second only to Pete Carroll. No. NO. No.

4 hours ago, RedRaider said:

Probably not the popular pick, but my #1 pick would be Josh McDaniels.  NE seems to get the most out of their players and actually schemes players open.  They know what they have in terms of personnel and play to their strengths rather than force them into the system.   Watching the Packers-Patriots game it's clear the difference in that game was coaching.  

Yes, he failed in Denver, but his boss also failed at his first attempt as a HC.  He may be in-line to inherit the head coaching job in NE, but is that desirable without Brady?  Getting Rodgers through 2022 maybe enough to entice him away.

I'd like to keep Pettine, but he may be a casualty in a coaching change.

We need a JMCD club.. There's at least 4 of us now

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I disagree.  There's very much a shortage of quality candidates.  The "best" candidates either have a very limited resume (i.e. DeFilippo and LaFleur) or probably don't fit the mold we want.  I'd be willing to bet a decent amount of money if we hire a new HC it's going to be someone with a background with QBs.  I think for that reason Dan Campbell won't be the potential hire.  LaFleur is in his 2nd year as an OC, and his production this year with the Titans has been miserable.  Part of that is an issue with personnel, but I'm not overly fond of the feast or famine that offense has been.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Matt Campbell? From Iowa St. to the NFL with no pro experience? That's quite a jump. Why do you put him over LaFleur? Do you think LaFleur is going to want too much say?

Gary Patterson from TCU. Winning Culture and know how to scheme without having a lot of talent. Has coached in big games as well. Brings the true 4-2-5 to the NFL. 

Archived