You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

40 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/green-bay-packers-problems-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson

Pretty wild read here. I am guessing most of the sources are now working for the Browns but it's interesting either way. 

Article concludes:

• Rodgers won't be upset that all of this is getting out
  • MM fired Van Pelt because he had Rodgers' ear - Holmgren use to threaten Favre he would fire Reid when he didn't listen to him. 
  • Rodgers changes plays during the games and MM has no idea why, he has to hear it from Kizer/Boyle - particularly during the Lions game when Adams moved to the slot. 
  • MM is basically closed off to the players, some of them wait until their exit interviews to confront issues to him. 
  • TT lead to the closed off mentality in the building. Pro personnel people were angry they wasted time scouting players for TT
  • The team became stagnant because of belief Rodgers would always take them over the top. 

This paints a pretty untenable picture and most sources believe that MM's time is up in GB. 

I am so torn. This is gonna be a hell of an off-season 

39 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/green-bay-packers-problems-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson

Pretty wild read here. I am guessing most of the sources are now working for the Browns but it's interesting either way. 

Article concludes:

• MM fired Van Pelt because he had Rodgers' ear - Holmgren use to threaten Favre he would fire Reid when he didn't listen to him. 
  • Rodgers changes plays during the games and MM has no idea why, he has to hear it from Kizer/Boyle - particularly during the Lions game when Adams moved to the slot. 
  • MM is basically closed off to the players, some of them wait until their exit interviews to confront issues to him. 
  • TT lead to the closed off mentality in the building. Pro personnel people were angry they wasted time scouting players for TT
  • The team became stagnant because of belief Rodgers would always take them over the top. 

This paints a pretty untenable picture and most sources believe that MM's time is up in GB. 

Good Article!  I just keep coming back to this .. if McCarthy is unhappy with Rodgers changing plays he can take that ability away from him any time he wishes.  McCarthy is in charge of this program, but I just get the sense that since Rodgers is so good they all kind of depend on him to save the day.  Hopefully with Thompson out the front office is now ready to move things forward.  A coaching change may be next.

After reading that article, does everyone see the importance of bringing an a player's coach? Someone likable and relate-able who's a leader the players will go to war for? That locker room is a mausoleum right now.

These last 2 days of media drops have been like manna from heaven for me. Bout damn time this stuff gets out.

I think the takeaway is that a few here were correct about Rodgers changing plays at the line A LOT which wrecks continuity with the game manager (MM).

Unfortunately this isn't a problem that will be solved with a new HC except for the possibility that Rodgers isn't comfortable enough with a new scheme to make as many changes 😂

12 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I think the takeaway is that a few here were correct about Rodgers changing plays at the line A LOT which wrecks continuity with the game manager (MM).

Unfortunately this isn't a problem that will be solved with a new HC except for the possibility that Rodgers isn't comfortable enough with a new scheme to make as many changes 😂

I think it says volumes that Boyle has to stand next to MM to let him know what's happening because MM's nose is buried in his play sheet.

'A Few here' find it hard to believe that folks think that doing the same thing over and over will change anything.

Mac has lost this team.  They are playing with no energy. They have some talent and the next two games will clarify it one way or the other.

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

There were people here that didn't think Rodgers was changing plays???

The takeaway is that the relationship between star player and head coach eroded so badly that star player is walking all over the head coach. A head coach who doesn't communicate well with the players who see said star player walking all over him. McCarthy is a comic book character to some of these guys, generating bundles of laughs behind his back. How well do you think some of these players respect him when they see the QB ignoring him and he does nothing?

Not only is a divorce necessary, the next head coach has to be someone who all players including the star will communicate well with. Rodgers has grown close to many coaches and was close to McCarthy at one time. He's will take direction from a coach if the relationship is solid.

The article also mentioned something I pointed out yesterday. Both these guys are "alphas". Except in reality only one of them is an alpha in action. McCarthy is the best coach in the NFL in his own mind. How much of an alpha are you truly when you can't even get the QB to listen to you? You can't walk and talk like an alpha and then turtle into your shell in front of your team when the QB ignores you all game long.

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What?? Who's to say it won't? You cannot possibly know that.

If anything, a HC change is more likely to solve the problem than sticking with the status-quo, for fairly obvious reasons.

5 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I think it says volumes that Boyle has to stand next to MM to let him know what's happening because MM's nose is buried in his play sheet.

'A Few here' find it hard to believe that folks think that doing the same thing over and over will change anything.

Mac has lost this team.  They are playing with no energy. They have some talent and the next two games will clarify it one way or the other.

I think the "sources" of this article are questionable as well. Calling MM not a player's coach contradicts comments from previous players under him. 

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

Article concludes:

Anyone remember the play, 3-4 games ago.  4'th quarter, I think.  Third and like 2.  Rodgers goes to hand the ball off to Jones, Jones supposed to hit a hole behind Bakh, when Rodgers keeps the ball on a naked bootleg, with a bad wheel.  The OLB doesn't have the best contain, but he quickly gets to Rodgers and Rodgers goes down for a half yard loss.

Rodgers put his head down and went to the bench.

At the time I thought he did his own thing there...guessing now absolutely he did.  

Archived