You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I could definitely see things playing out this way. McCarthy's voice would be a new one for someone like Baker Mayfield. McCarthy DOES have things to offer. He will get a guy like Mayfield mechanically sound and help him read defenses. At least until Mayfield gets tired of listening to him. Rodgers and MM worked well for so long in the beginning for 2 reasons. First was the loyalty and faith MM showed AR in saying he was their guy during the Favre soap opera. That carried the relationship a long time. And Mike McCarthy did drill in a lot of improvements into Rodgers game, especially with footwork. These things have worn off over time primarily due to Rodgers frustration that scheme and failure to adapt is holding the team back. The early positives Rodgers saw with MM have faded as his career reaches it's twilight and the negatives become more apparent. Rodgers has a sort of an odd personality as well which makes a divorce the best route for all. In an unintended way, the Favre soap opera brought together these two men who otherwise would have clashed much sooner. I'm not sure the Packers win the Super Bowl in 2010 if it weren't for the bonding that took place in the summer of 2008 when McCarthy backed Rodgers and Thompson went ahead and traded Favre to the Jets.

I actually pretty much, have the same thought process. Just think another personality from either side might have fixed this. The better "talent" wins. Which isn't unfair if you ask me. 

If McCarthy goes, and at this point I think he will, I’d throw in for Zach Taylor, the QB coach for the Rams. And I know new head coaches like to bring in their own guys, but I’d hope he’d keep Pettine on board, the same way da’ bears correctly it appears, chose to keept Vic Fangio on board as DC.

That written, I think it’s likely the Packers would have to compete with an attractive offer from their eastern franchise, the Cleveland Browns.

12 hours ago, Leader said:

Not saying I disagree with you - but with specific reference to the tornado of "whats up / wrong / needs to be done about the offense" that we're currently drifting along in - he could be perceived to be a resolution to those ills.

Not that he's gonna get AR to throw the ball any better. I've no clue what or who can straighten that mess out - but as for the supposedly stale play designs and schemes - he seems to be doing alright by Brady.

Its pure bull**** anyway. He's not going anywhere until he's burned his bridges as the HC in NE - which I predict will occur sooner rather than later.

I really believe a new HC that Rodgers respects will be able to fix what ails him.  I suppose if he can get our QB to play better we'll welcome him in GB.

31 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I really believe a new HC that Rodgers respects will be able to fix what ails him.  I suppose if he can get our QB to play better we'll welcome him in GB.

Cant disagree with that concept. I'm not against the organization making changes. Never have been. I just want it to be for valid reasons....and finding a HC that AR respects and will play better for doesnt meet that criteria. Not mine at least.

17 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The only value in it is selling it to the fanbases. I haven't heard anything yet but I doubt Gutekunst is very happy that there's hype building around Campbell. My guess is that in his mind January can't get here fast enough. Campbell hitting the national radar is only going to lengthen the window of time that the people in Ames, Iowa are going to have to persuade him to stay. The voices there and fans pleading that he stay are going to get that much louder. Sure they knew he might move on to greener pastures someday but this is all escalating very fast. A week from now the university could offer to increase his salary dramatically. Heart strings could get pulled. Pride in finishing what he started could win over. If I had my mind set on a candidate I wouldn't want his profile growing dramatically before I'm even in a position to go after him.

Just about the bolded part.  Do you really think so?  I'm going to try to lay something out here.

Gute, right now, does not have the authority to hire or fire a coach.  He does have authority over the roster, though, and he's been quite busy signing and releasing guys in an attempt to field a roster that can win a few games.

I'd imagine he is also responsible for evaluating a lot of college talent, so that has to take a huge chunk of time.

I would think that while he may have a passing fancy or interest in head coaching candidates, there are others within the organization who are like Santa, keeping a list and checking it twice.  But that is about it.  GB has a coach and they are trying to win games.  I can't imagine for a minute that anyone in the organization is openly looking at other coaches as opposed to trying to find ways to win games this year.

This whole head coaching speculation is awesome for us fans to do...cuz we are fans.  But inside that organization?  I'd be pretty disappointed if our GM was deep in the weeds looking at future head coaches, when at the moment, he does not have that authority as opposed to doing his job which is player evaluation and acquisition.  His responsibility is to the roster.

The simple answer is "heck yeah". Gute would have been working on a list of head coaches the moment he was hired if not prior. McCarthy will be fired anywhere between the night of Sunday, December 30th and Wednesday, January 2nd. New head coaching hires will already be announced by mid January. He's not doing all that homework in a 2-week span. Not to mention he can't risk getting in too late on someone who'd be the best guy for the job. Given the now public pleas and media attention Campbell is getting in Ames, Iowa, Gute would no doubt have already gotten word in confidence of the Packers interest to Campbell's agent at minimum.

48 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just about the bolded part.  Do you really think so?  I'm going to try to lay something out here.

Gute, right now, does not have the authority to hire or fire a coach.  He does have authority over the roster, though, and he's been quite busy signing and releasing guys in an attempt to field a roster that can win a few games.

I'd imagine he is also responsible for evaluating a lot of college talent, so that has to take a huge chunk of time.

I would think that while he may have a passing fancy or interest in head coaching candidates, there are others within the organization who are like Santa, keeping a list and checking it twice.  But that is about it.  GB has a coach and they are trying to win games.  I can't imagine for a minute that anyone in the organization is openly looking at other coaches as opposed to trying to find ways to win games this year.

This whole head coaching speculation is awesome for us fans to do...cuz we are fans.  But inside that organization?  I'd be pretty disappointed if our GM was deep in the weeds looking at future head coaches, when at the moment, he does not have that authority as opposed to doing his job which is player evaluation and acquisition.  He responsibility is to the roster.

You can't be caught playing checkers when the rest of the league is playing chess!

Gute better have a list, Murphy better be checking it twice if there is even a chance of change.

If you wait to look for a possible coach until you release your current one....you are already behind.

1 minute ago, Dubz41 said:

You can't be caught playing checkers when the rest of the league is playing chess!

Gute better have a list, Murphy better be checking it twice if there is even a chance of change.

If you wait to look for a possible coach until you release your current one....you are already behind.

I'd opine that it is Murphy with the list, as he has the call.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'd opine that it is Murphy with the list, as he has the call.

I know that is the face of Murphy's silo scenario, but my gut tells me Gute will make that call.  If Murphy makes it he will probably hire out to some headhunting firm.

I am Gute.

22 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I know that is the face of Murphy's silo scenario, but my gut tells me Gute will make that call.  If Murphy makes it he will probably hire out to some headhunting firm.

I am Gute.

Out of everything written, that makes the most sense.

But...Gute probably has his own thoughts and ideas, too.  I just don't see him really digging into a coaching search as opposed to talent evaluation of the roster, nfl and collegiate ranks.

If Murphy were to have outsourced it...that makes sense because they can report findings to anyone, when the time is right.  Be it Gute or Murphy.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/29/green-bay-packers-problems-aaron-rodgers-mike-mccarthy-ted-thompson

Pretty wild read here. I am guessing most of the sources are now working for the Browns but it's interesting either way. 

Article concludes:

• Rodgers won't be upset that all of this is getting out
  • MM fired Van Pelt because he had Rodgers' ear - Holmgren use to threaten Favre he would fire Reid when he didn't listen to him. 
  • Rodgers changes plays during the games and MM has no idea why, he has to hear it from Kizer/Boyle - particularly during the Lions game when Adams moved to the slot. 
  • MM is basically closed off to the players, some of them wait until their exit interviews to confront issues to him. 
  • TT lead to the closed off mentality in the building. Pro personnel people were angry they wasted time scouting players for TT
  • The team became stagnant because of belief Rodgers would always take them over the top. 

This paints a pretty untenable picture and most sources believe that MM's time is up in GB. 

Archived