You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

Then AR shouldn't have accepted the extension - committed to the organization IMO. He should have voiced his objections to the organization - told them he wasnt signing any extension and would in fact prefer a trade because he couldnt be certain how his play would suffer.

Thats what - IMO - what Favre did - in an ungainly, typiically "Favre-like" way - what with all his "retirements"

IMO

Favre wanted out of GB.
I think he wanted out of the freezer.
I think he wanted the cushy indoor football life with his buddy Bevel (?) - not sure thats the guy but the OC that used to be in GB but had moved on to MN.

Instead - (at least publicly) - AR didnt voice any such reservation. Rather - we heard whispers he was pushing for a fully guaranteed contract that would make him the highest paid player in the NFL. A contract that would have severe consequences on the organization. A contract that would in fact make him more difficult to trade.

This doesn't make sense to me.  He did show a commitment to the organization and that is laudable IMO.  How could him signing the extension directly effect his play?  His inconsistent play is between his ears more than anything and like every other player he needs coaching to correct this and he isn't getting it from his HC nor his position coach.   

Favre did actually quit on the team.  I truly suspect he was leery of losing his his job to his talented understudy and wanted no part of being a backup (and I don't blame him for that).  Look back at what actually happened.  Favre "retires" but in just a few days starts to hint at changing his mind and ultimately asks for his unconditional release.  He did want to go to MN but TT wasn't going to let him walk and go play for a divisional rival.  After not getting what he wanted he flies into town on Family night and his ultimately traded out of the NFC.  After a year in NY he "retires" again and then is able to go to MN so he can stick it to TT - and I think he did this for drafting Rodgers.

I don't blame him for wanted a guaranteed contract.  He knew he'd get a monster contract eventually from somebody.  He didn't have to sign the extension but chose to stay.  Should we also blame Cousins for signing his big contract in MN because Kirk knew if he did that it would have severe consequences for his team too?

22 minutes ago, Leader said:

Theres a relationship in sports that $$$$$ is changing: Owner, Coach, Player.

If (well, not "if" cause I think we've reached this point already in multiple sports....) - if the player can emasculate the Coach because of his contract.

Then as the Coach - you're only recourse is bench him.

Again - if a player is willfully - when the highest paid player is using that contract as means to disregard the Coach's instructions - no player need pay that Coach full attention.

If I were the Coach -- I'd bench the guy and deal with the fallout. 

Are you speculating that Rodgers is going rogue and is not following his coaches instructions because he knows McCarthy won't do anything because of his contract?  

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

Then AR shouldn't have accepted the extension - committed to the organization IMO. He should have voiced his objections to the organization - told them he wasnt signing any extension and would in fact prefer a trade because he couldnt be certain how his play would suffer.

Thats what - IMO - what Favre did - in an ungainly, typiically "Favre-like" way - what with all his "retirements"

IMO

Favre wanted out of GB.
I think he wanted out of the freezer.
I think he wanted the cushy indoor football life with his buddy Bevel (?) - not sure thats the guy but the OC that used to be in GB but had moved on to MN.

Instead - (at least publicly) - AR didnt voice any such reservation. Rather - we heard whispers he was pushing for a fully guaranteed contract that would make him the highest paid player in the NFL. A contract that would have severe consequences on the organization. A contract that would in fact make him more difficult to trade.

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Are you speculating that Rodgers is going rogue and is not following his coaches instructions because he knows McCarthy won't do anything because of his contract?  

Yeah .. the rogue narrative it stupid.  Aaron's all about football and the green bay packers.  He suffered an injury in week one, and has since seen his mechanics and confidence take a hit.  He missed out on a ton of practice time and has never quite got comfortable with his young wideouts.  I don't think there is much more to it than that.

It is an interesting question though. Rodgers obviously can't be unloaded because of his contract. He has all the leverage. He could literally do whatever he wants, and the coach would get skipped out of town if he benched him. It's an interesting scenario to discuss.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

Players convincing ownership that roster changes are necessary?
Players convincing ownership that coaching changes are necessary?
Players - basically - forcing themselves off of a team?

Are you implying or speculating that these things aren't happening in sports today?

Do I personally know its happening in GB? Nope. I'm not that style poster.

But -
Do I hear and read a player taking poorly veiled shots at his coach? Yes.
Do I hear and read that MMs gotta go cause he cant get thru to AR? Yes.
Do I hear and read that the "relationship" between AR + MM is "broken?" Yes.
Do I hear and read a daily "tug of war" in the public about who's to blame - the coach or the player? Yes.

This is how gets done. 

Magic did it.
Lebron's done it.
Irving's done it.
Butler just did it.
Edit add on: Just remembered....Favre did it.
I dont know....there's probably more but I dont keep a list.

Anybody who thinks MM cant recognize the "mistakes" in ARs game - yet it can be dissected and pulled apart on social media - is seriously selling MM short.
Why those mistakes continue to occur......well, theres the million dollar question now isnt it.

Family Ghost hit the nail on the head.  It's not rocket science, there's no evil conspiracy.  Our quarterback got hurt, missed practice time and "lost" all but one of his receivers from last year.  Add in a new tight end who is past his prime and an offensive line that at times can be a turnstile doesn't help..  Play calling that is often times head scratching and outdated contributes but also forgotten is his old quarterback coach is gone who he got along very well with.  Now add a new quarterbacks coach that obviously hasn't done much to  help the situation and you have a perfect storm brewing that is tough to overcome.   

25 minutes ago, Leader said:

Anybody who thinks MM cant recognize the "mistakes" in ARs game - yet it can be dissected and pulled apart on social media - is seriously selling MM short.

Preach! Mac just can't be as stupid as he's portrayed with this stuff

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. the rogue narrative it stupid.  Aaron's all about football and the green bay packers.  He suffered an injury in week one, and has since seen his mechanics and confidence take a hit.  He missed out on a ton of practice time and has never quite got comfortable with his young wideouts.  I don't think there is much more to it than that.

That makes sense to me if it was just this year, then again most of this stuff is when he's been hurt, you have a point there

This won't be for the crowd that absolutely wants McCarthy gone no matter what, which I am leaning towards as well. But, there's no questioning MM still brings a lot of positive qualities to the table. What if.....they go 5-0/4-1, end the season on a run, McCarthy ends up getting one more year to prove he still has it, but they bring in a young innovative mind like Kliff Kingsbury to run the offense? I've been following Texas Tech/Kliff for a while, but here's a really good article written not only about Kliff but also about why we don't see a lot of these young offensive college guru's become NFL offensive coordinators.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/the-case-for-nfl-offensive-coordinator-kliff-kings

Just now, MaryTsraining3s said:

This won't be for the crowd that absolutely wants McCarthy gone no matter what, which I am leaning towards as well. But, there's no questioning MM still brings a lot of positive qualities to the table. What if.....they go 5-0/4-1, end the season on a run, McCarthy ends up getting one more year to prove he still has it, but they bring in a young innovative mind like Kliff Kingsbury to run the offense? I've been following Texas Tech/Kliff for a while, but here's a really good article written not only about Kliff but also about why we don't see a lot of these young offensive college guru's become NFL offensive coordinators.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/the-case-for-nfl-offensive-coordinator-kliff-kings

Some speculation about McDaniels + Kliff as OC or Kliff replacing McDaniels as the Pats OC if/when McDaniels leaves. I go back and forth about hiring McDaniels the person but I think he is the most logical choice for the Packers if they do fire McCarthy. Also seems to be interest from his end with the reports connecting him to us. 

34 minutes ago, MaryTsraining3s said:

I think McCarthy is far too stubborn to trash can his baby.  This offense has been nothing short of mediocre for a long long time and he's all but ignored it.  His ego will never allow him to make the needed adjustments IMO. 

he;'s either going to get an undeserved extension because he made it to a Super bowl an eternity ago or Green Bay is going to move on.  I don't see us going into next year with a lame duck coach as it almost never works out.  

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have an owner. 

So does every other team. 

We don't. And we won't have someone acting like one soon either. Murphy did not set out to seize this much control. He was forced to do it to appease McCarthy. A coach who one year later won't be shown the door fast enough. Murphy erred badly and suffered a good amount of embarrassment in league circles for it. That article in the Milwaukee paper wasn't so much of a plea or a called shot. It was spelling out exactly what happened and what is to come, much like what I've been doing here for the last year. The author of the article has clearly spoken to those in the know and has been given an outline of how this will unfold.

The silence from the blowhards who want to cast themselves as insiders here is deafening. This past year and the information being confirmed now should illustrate to many here that those here trying to pass themselves off as having good contacts in the Packers organization are blowing hot air. Our quieter, passive posters here should absolutely feel more comfortable pushing back against these people who hammer their opinions as fact down their throat. Seeing those same blowhards begin to convince many here that Rodgers is the problem rather than McCarthy has been as shocking as it has been sad.

I've taken a lot of crap for speaking the truth of what's going on here . Yeah boo-hoo, cry me a river, it's a friggin message board and I'm not going anywhere. My position which overlaps daily with the NFL is going to be a great source of info for years to come. I'm going to keep sharing what I know and this is the one and only place I have and will continue to do so.

As for what's next, if Gute is able to get his top target for head coach, Matt Campbell, come January, it can be noted that it was known here in mid November.

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

+1

It is truly amazing the lengths the "loud" posters here are going to cast Rodgers as the problem. The joy of seeing volume posters who are pretending to know-it-all being proven wrong is very satisfying. More of it to come. The good news for all of us as Packers fans is that the proper changes are coming and it can only help the chances of success on the field. In 2019, Rodgers will once again be the Rodgers we've all grown accustomed to as the best QB in the game.

34 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Some speculation about McDaniels + Kliff as OC or Kliff replacing McDaniels as the Pats OC if/when McDaniels leaves. I go back and forth about hiring McDaniels the person but I think he is the most logical choice for the Packers if they do fire McCarthy. Also seems to be interest from his end with the reports connecting him to us. 

Given the cancer he was to the Bronco's organization he scares me.  I also wasn't at all impressed with him this off season when he showed that his word is meaningless.  While screwing over the Colts was bad, the disservice he did to the coaches who mistakenly took him at his word was something I'll never be able to look past.  Thankfully the Colts kept them as McDaniels had no issues or remorse about potentially leaving them out on the street.  The dude is just a crappy human being.  

Archived