You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

Do you like belichick as a person? Not even being facetious lol. 

I agree with SSG. Most of his issues were his personnel control. Possibly he's learned from other mistakes as well. 

Honestly, I could care less about him as a person.  Don't really care either way tbh.  But with McDaniels, we've seen him destroy the Broncos' locker room and see his two best players (Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall) demand trades, while under contract with the Rams he needled his way out of the contract in order to take over the Patriots' play calling in 2011 playoffs, and then quit on the Colts before even getting settled in.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

How many people would have been happy or stoked with McCarthy?  I know I wasn't.

Exactly my point.  just like MM, Campbell is unknown, but after 13 years, you are pleased with the MM era of 1 title, 3 additional NFCCG appearances and lots of playoff entries.

10 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Exactly my point.  just like MM, Campbell is unknown, but after 13 years, you are pleased with the MM era of 1 title, 3 additional NFCCG appearances and lots of playoff entries.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of this.  Because we had success with McCarthy 13 years ago, we should go with a complete unknown?  I think we'd all agree that NCAA to NFL HC are a mixed bag of results.  For every Pete Carroll, there's a dozen Chip Kelly's.  Are you willing to gamble that he's even going to be an even average HC?  Chip Kelly won 36 games in his final 3 seasons at Oregon, Pete Carroll won 32 games his last 3 seasons at USC, and Nick Saban won 30 games his last 3 seasons with LSU.  Campbell has won 18 games.  And w're not talking about a premier program either.   We're talking about Iowa State.

I remember when McCarthy put out his mission statement just after being hired ... it was in all caps and was littered with incorrect spellings and odd phrases.  I was not real happy with that hire .. he coordinated one of the worst offenses ever in San Fran.  I guess it worked out pretty well overall .. he's been solid for many years.  It's just now time to part ways.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I have a question, if we get a new coach and Rodgers meshes and plays way better but Mac goes somewhere else and his offense looks way different and creative, efficient, etc. Which side wins? Lol

I'm just pointing out this is PROBABLY imo what will happen. I tend to agree with a lot of what you said there but if he's refusing to evolve but he goes and changes and Rodgers goes back to being great...I guess I'm saying I think both sides are at fault and they need to move on to be their best

Norm, that is the IDEAL situation.  Each can win!  Sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

I have a question, if we get a new coach and Rodgers meshes and plays way better but Mac goes somewhere else and his offense looks way different and creative, efficient, etc. Which side wins? Lol

I'm just pointing out this is PROBABLY imo what will happen. I tend to agree with a lot of what you said there but if he's refusing to evolve but he goes and changes and Rodgers goes back to being great...I guess I'm saying I think both sides are at fault and they need to move on to be their best

Both!!  Mac's career is salvaged and Rodgers returns to form.  Win win.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I'm 99% sure I said publicly and verifiably that MM would win at least 1 SB with GB, but his red flag use would be questionable.

Go look it up.

I award you one Shrute buck for this prediction

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

A new HC might not want to keep Pettine around.  Is that something you want to do?

I want Pettine to stay a la Fangio in Chicago.

The improvement of the defense once Mac finally stopped pretending that Dom was competent and replaced him has been apparent despite the slew of injuries, the jettisoning of multiple 1st round "talents," virtually no contribution from the second highest-paid defender, and very limited contribution from the highest-paid defender.

However, if the new HC has his eyes set on a particular defensive coordinator that may be the price that needs to be paid.

Now, is it unfair to point out that Mac's confidence in or loyalty to Moss and Zook (and Capers and Slocum before them) may not have been justified and may even have been to the detriment of the team?

Archived