You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

One of McCarthy's biggest flaws is that HE thinks he's one of the best coaches in the NFL, like #2 behind Belichick. I saw flaw because he doesn't think he needs to change or evolve. The reality inside the NFL is that most people there think the Packers have underachieved and that he's ridden the coattails of one of the most gifted QBs to play the game. That dynamic has eroded away at the relationship of Rodgers and McCarthy. Rodgers isn't so naive to think that McCarthy played no role in his own success. But these later years have driven Rodgers to resent the fact that he and the team have been held back. Both share blame. But one is truly elite and the other isn't. You can guess which is elite and which isn't. Problem is they both think they're elite and only one is right.

14 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

While I agree with your sentiment. It is not like McDaniels just backed out on a whim. The Patriots counter offered and gave him a substantial raise. The Broncos thing was mainly because he had roster control, that is not something he will be afforded here. 

His issues in Denver were a lot more that bad personnel moves.  He was a locker room cancer that alienated his team, his coaches and the front office.  He also got caught cheating which ended up being the last straw.

I don't care what his offer was from New England.  That's no excuse for the treatment of the assistant coaches who made the mistake to take him at his word.  Shows just how incredibly selfish and untrustworthy worthy of an individual he is.  

16 minutes ago, SSG said:

His issues in Denver were a lot more that bad personnel moves.  He was a locker room cancer that alienated his team, his coaches and the front office.  He also got caught cheating which ended up being the last straw. I don't care what his offer was from New England.  That's no excuse for the treatment of the assistant coaches who made the mistake to take him at his word.  Shows just how incredibly selfish and untrustworthy worthy of an individual he is.  

I think McDaniels an excellent OC and wouldnt mind having him in that capacity. As an HC I think he's a weasel.

44 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

A moment of caution for those who want McCarthy gone, if Mac departs the Packers also risk the possibility of losing Associate Head/LInebackers Coach Winston Moss and Special Teams Coordinator Ron Zook.

Don't know what the franchise would do without Winston developing all those great linebackers over the past 13 seasons. 

Moss has been an integral part of all those great Packers defenses since 2006. His departure would obviously be a huge loss for the organization.

As for Zooky, does anyone doubt he has been even better than Mac's previous STs coordinator Shawn Slocum? Whatever would the franchise do without him?

Instead of your usual passive aggressive posting, how about bringing something to the table?  A new HC might not want to keep Pettine around.  Is that something you want to do?

50 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

As for Campbell, I'm not the one to sell him. I'm just passing along what I've heard. He's thought of very highly by NFL execs, not just the Packers. I learn more weekly, sometimes daily and the hype on Campbell is gotten to the point that I think Gute is all-in on him. Campbell is considered a brilliant mind and a great leader. Rare combo of smartest guy in the room while also being the one everyone loves and will go to war for. That's the way he's been sold to me.

I'm not sure what exactly screams must have with regards to Campbell.  He's been a good, but not great HC for Toledo and Iowa State.

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

Some speculation about McDaniels + Kliff as OC or Kliff replacing McDaniels as the Pats OC if/when McDaniels leaves. I go back and forth about hiring McDaniels the person but I think he is the most logical choice for the Packers if they do fire McCarthy. Also seems to be interest from his end with the reports connecting him to us. 

Seems rather redundant to bring in two strong offensive minds, seems like you're going to be butting heads since both probably want to have play calling responsibilities.  I think if you're bringing in Kliff, it'd be a HC-in-waiting situation.  Maybe pairing him with Bruce Arians or Dave Toub.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Seems rather redundant to bring in two strong offensive minds, seems like you're going to be butting heads since both probably want to have play calling responsibilities.  I think if you're bringing in Kliff, it'd be a HC-in-waiting situation.  Maybe pairing him with Bruce Arians or Dave Toub.

That makes sense. I think the more likely scenario is Kliff would replace McDaniels in NE if he were to leave but McDaniels and Kliff have a history of working together. My preference is hiring an offensive HC because of the OC likely being picked off if successful. 

31 minutes ago, SSG said:

His issues in Denver were a lot more that bad personnel moves.  He was a locker room cancer that alienated his team, his coaches and the front office.  He also got caught cheating which ended up being the last straw.

I don't care what his offer was from New England.  That's no excuse for the treatment of the assistant coaches who made the mistake to take him at his word.  Shows just how incredibly selfish and untrustworthy worthy of an individual he is.  

I am not even advocating hiring McDaniels, I am just saying that there is logic behind pursuing him for this job and Gute/McDaniels are familiar with each other. 

5 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

That makes sense. I think the more likely scenario is Kliff would replace McDaniels in NE if he were to leave but McDaniels and Kliff have a history of working together. My preference is hiring an offensive HC because of the OC likely being picked off if successful. 

Where do McDaniels and Kliff have history together?  Kliff has been at Texas Tech since 2013, and he was at either Houston or A&M from 2008 until 2012.  I don't think they have any ties.

6 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

I am not even advocating hiring McDaniels, I am just saying that there is logic behind pursuing him for this job and Gute/McDaniels are familiar with each other. 

San Francisco was planning on pairing Gute with McDaniels before they went with Lynch and Shanahan I believe.  I hate him as a person, and give him absolutely zero personnel control.

40 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

One of McCarthy's biggest flaws is that HE thinks he's one of the best coaches in the NFL, like #2 behind Belichick. I saw flaw because he doesn't think he needs to change or evolve. The reality inside the NFL is that most people there think the Packers have underachieved and that he's ridden the coattails of one of the most gifted QBs to play the game. That dynamic has eroded away at the relationship of Rodgers and McCarthy. Rodgers isn't so naive to think that McCarthy played no role in his own success. But these later years have driven Rodgers to resent the fact that he and the team have been held back. Both share blame. But one is truly elite and the other isn't. You can guess which is elite and which isn't. Problem is they both think they're elite and only one is right.

I have a question, if we get a new coach and Rodgers meshes and plays way better but Mac goes somewhere else and his offense looks way different and creative, efficient, etc. Which side wins? Lol

I'm just pointing out this is PROBABLY imo what will happen. I tend to agree with a lot of what you said there but if he's refusing to evolve but he goes and changes and Rodgers goes back to being great...I guess I'm saying I think both sides are at fault and they need to move on to be their best

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

San Francisco was planning on pairing Gute with McDaniels before they went with Lynch and Shanahan I believe.  I hate him as a person, and give him absolutely zero personnel control.

Do you like belichick as a person? Not even being facetious lol. 

I agree with SSG. Most of his issues were his personnel control. Possibly he's learned from other mistakes as well. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Where do McDaniels and Kliff have history together?  Kliff has been at Texas Tech since 2013, and he was at either Houston or A&M from 2008 until 2012.  I don't think they have any ties.

Kliff was drafted by the Patriots in 2003 when McDaniels was on the staff. 

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure what exactly screams must have with regards to Campbell.  He's been a good, but not great HC for Toledo and Iowa State.

Lets pretend this is 2006 (or whatever year MM was hired.

I'm not sure what exactly screams must have with regards to Mike McCarthy.  He's  not been a HC and has been awful as OC in SF.

Archived