Jaguars could trade trade Jalen Ramsey this offseason.

TecmoSuperJoe

5 hours ago, iknowcool said:

And where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

I’ll bite.

The report isn’t that they’re likely to do it, or that they’re already considering it. It’s that they’re “likely to consider” it. As in there’s nothing to suggest that they have any intent, but someone thinks that they might think about it.

So what exactly is the smoke and fire here?

22 minutes ago, pwny said:

I’ll bite.

The report isn’t that they’re likely to do it, or that they’re already considering it. It’s that they’re “likely to consider” it. As in there’s nothing to suggest that they have any intent, but someone thinks that they might think about it.

I'm not sure.  I don't know the Jags organization like that and I haven't really read about it beyond this thread.  I was just saying that teams denying something is going to happen doesn't mean anything.  The Rockets denied anything was going to happen to Carmelo Anthony.  Patriots denied the Gronk rumors only to find out he threatened to retire if he was traded to the Lions.  

So you could be right and this ends up being nothing, but who knows.  It wouldn't make a lot of sense to me if the Jags traded Ramsey, but it didn't make a lot of sense to me when the Chiefs traded Peters either (and his whole thing started with a report saying they were "likely to consider" trading him).  But for as long as I've watched the NFL, it's hard for me to completely rule it out.  I'm sure this report has some grounds to it, how serious or not though is the question.  Hence the smoke.  So I guess its probably better to say "where there's smoke, there might be fire".  

8 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

but it didn't make a lot of sense to me when the Chiefs traded Peters either (and his whole thing started with a report saying they were "likely to consider" trading him).  B

No, that whole thing started with the Chiefs signing Amerson and trading for Fuller, and then other teams asking if that meant they wanted to trade Peters.

Official original report:

“With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback.

The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.”

Making moves that make a player expendable is quite a bit different from basically stating “we think they’re going to think about it.”

45 minutes ago, pwny said:

Which doesn’t make sense because he’s loved by his teammates and coaches. Marrone was hugging him on the sideline today.

There is no “attitude problem” with him. At all. 

He's high maintenance if you don't like how outspoken he is though. Maybe that is the better way to say it. Maybe that's something that rankles Coughlin? I don't know. The only two real options for possibly shopping him are that and as @JaguarCrazy2832 said, the Gruden logic. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's high maintenance if you don't like how outspoken he is though. Maybe that is the better way to say it. Maybe that's something that rankles Coughlin? I don't know. The only two real options for possibly shopping him are that and as @JaguarCrazy2832 said, the Gruden logic. 

Coughlin has had lots of big personalities on his teams. He’s never had a problem with them. There was also an interview with Coughlin this offseason where he specifically said that in order to be a good leader of men in the front office, you have to let players be who they are. 

There’s also the third option that “likely to consider” means there’s nothing within the organization that suggests they’re looking, and simply someone thinks they might think about it. As the words say.

Just now, pwny said:

Coughlin has had lots of big personalities on his teams. He’s never had a problem with them. There was also an interview with Coughlin this offseason where he specifically said that in order to be a good leader of men in the front office, you have to let players be who they are. 

There’s also the third option that “likely to consider” means there’s nothing within the organization that suggests they’re looking, and simply someone thinks they might think about it. As the words say.

Fair. All I know is that if he's really being shopped, I'd be more than happy to give you the niners first for him. And that's going to be a top 4 pick. That's how much I want in on that lol

24 minutes ago, pwny said:

No, that whole thing started with the Chiefs signing Amerson and trading for Fuller, and then other teams asking if that meant they wanted to trade Peters.

Official original report:

“With the Chiefs adding veteran cornerback David Amerson and, officially in three weeks, acquiring cornerback Kendall Fuller as part of the Alex Smith trade, some in league circles are wondering whether the Chiefs will be making another transaction involving a cornerback.

The question being asked is whether Marcus Peters, a first-round pick in 2015, is available in trade.”

Making moves that make a player expendable is quite a bit different from basically stating “we think they’re going to think about it.”

You're right, I didn't remember how that went down well.  I thought the speculation began before that.

Regardless, it was really just a cliche quote so it wasn't really my main intention.  If you say there is no smoke, there is no smoke and this report is completely unsubstantiated, I can believe that unless something more comes out.  My main point was that teams denying something literally means nothing.  Every sports team will deny moving a player, especially during the season.  No team makes it obvious they are gonna trade someone other than the really toxic situations (aka Dwight Howard/Magic... and even that went through a litany of reports and denials)

Just now, iknowcool said:

You're right, I didn't remember how that went down well.  I thought the speculation began before that.

Regardless, it was really just a cliche quote so it isn't a big deal to me.  If you say there is no smoke, there is no smoke and this report is completely unsubstantiated.  My main point was that teams denying something literally means nothing.  Every sports team will deny moving a player, especially during the season.

I do agree with this. They’re not going to just tell their plans midseason. 

And I do think that anonymous sources can tell real things. And I’m willing to take the Schefter report at face value. I just don’t think that the face value of the report is really any sort of smoke.

Some people in NFL circles think the Jaguars might think about trading Ramsey. I’m sure that’s true. A lot of people outside the organization make it seem like what he does is some big deal. So I’m sure there are a good number of people who think it might wear on the team. There’s just a long way to go from possibly thinking about something to actually thinking about it, to trying to do it, to finding a trade partner. And until some source has an idea that the Jaguars are actually considering it, it’s really just league speculation that I can’t really buy as “smoke”.

There could be smoke somewhere or eventually. This just isn’t it, as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, pwny said:

I’ll bite.

If someone in the  high organization said I'd take 2 first round picks to get rid of Ramsey rather than sign him long term than theirs your smoke and fire. I don't care if no one is really willing to give up the compensation their asking for. Being as though they made a price for him brings the smoke and fire.

13 hours ago, G said:

I wanted the Raiders to get S Derwin James because he's a stud and might be able to get JR here. We tanked so bad I doubt we get any FA's the first 2 months. Gruden's 'lots of players want to play for the RRRaaaiiddeerrssss is going to bite him HARD!!!

raiders should just play the long game. Once you move to Las vegas then you go big in FA.

Archived