How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

4 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

McVay just tries to do too much as times. The gameplan should be simple, that is run Gurley alot on the road and at home if you want to pass the ball alot then do so. If Im not mistaken, Goff throws the ball on average 35 times at home. Gurley runs the ball on average 28 times on the road. So when I look at that game on Sunday on the road, Goff throwing the ball 44 times and Gurley only running the ball 11 times is a recipe that was sure to fail. Its not like Goff cant have a great game in cold weather on the road. Last season the Rams went to Tennessee in the cold late in the season and he threw for 304yds 4 tds and no ints and actually had his first 4th quarter comeback win. The reason why Goff was so effective was because Gurley touched the ball 32 times for 276yds and 2 tds. He ran the ball 22 times. 

Maybe you're right. I guess my main concern is that I see a repeating theme with McVay when it comes to the losses, which is that he panics and avoids using Gurley for some reason. At least he knows that this is a problem.

10 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

We have had the toughest SoS in the NFC. Fourth toughest in the NFL. That is current. Not preseason. The Bears, by comparison, have had the easiest (by far) schedule in the NFC and 2nd easiest in the NFL. 

You started out talking ish before coming back down to earth so I can't tell if you really thought this was true. But in case you did think we have had a soft schedule, we really haven't. You guys have.

I mean, congrats on a huge win. But come on, mayne. 

You've played some tough teams no doubt. 4th hardest by what metric? And I'll be honest I just did a quick look at your schedule before typing that and saw ARI 2x DET SF 2x OAK, and  DEN. That's 8 pretty easy wins (and yes before someone throws this out there, no easy wins in the NFL blah blah blah). Couple of mediocre teams (although surprisingly so) in GB, MN, and PHI. I mean, that doesn't scream at me as an incredibly tough schedule. But yes, for the record you have also played against some SB caliber teams in KC, LAC, NO,SEA (and dare I say CHI?). And I'm not sure what ish I was talking? That's not really my style.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

Maybe you're right. I guess my main concern is that I see a repeating theme with McVay when it comes to the losses, which is that he panics and avoids using Gurley for some reason. At least he knows that this is a problem.

No doubt. Thats the common theme is when the Rams lose its Gurley wasnt involved. The only loss I understand was the Saints game. The Rams were down 21pts and had to abandon the run. Outside of that game, I dont understand those other losses when Gurley wasnt involved especially knowing that there have been times where McVay just rode Gurley more than ever. Twice last season Gurley had 32 touches and a career high 33 touches. So there isnt a limit to how many times Gurley can touch the ball, McVay just have to call plays for him and stick with it. 

5 minutes ago, Pool said:

You've played some tough teams no doubt. 4th hardest by what metric? And I'll be honest I just did a quick look at your schedule before typing that and saw ARI 2x DET SF 2x OAK, and  DEN. That's 8 pretty easy wins (and yes before someone throws this out there, no easy wins in the NFL blah blah blah). Couple of mediocre teams (although surprisingly so) in GB, MN, and PHI. I mean, that doesn't scream at me as an incredibly tough schedule. But yes, for the record you have also played against some SB caliber teams in KC, LAC, NO,SEA (and dare I say CHI?). And I'm not sure what ish I was talking? That's not really my style.

Denver wasnt an easy win. It was in the cold, actually snowy a bit. I understand Denver had their struggles stopping the run but thats not who they are because they have shown that they arent a poor run team since that Rams game. Now obviously Denver traded away DT and now lost Sanders so the team should slip alot but by no means at that time in a tough environment in bad conditions was that game against the Broncos an easy game. 

55 minutes ago, Pool said:

Keep yapping. I’m loving this. Adding fuel to the fire baby. 

1 hour ago, Pool said:

I have no idea how they calculate it, but this formula has us at #1 in the NFL in Strength of Schedule:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Footballoutsiders has us at #5 in past schedule (we have the easiest remaining schedule, though):

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Regardless, the Rams have played one of the NFL's toughest schedules to this point. 

And if you look here, it'll give you the actual percentage:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000998702/article/2019-nfl-draft-order-team-needs-49ers-no-1-eagles-in-top-16

Rams are tied for 6th with their opponents having a winning percentage of 52.7%. It's also worth pointing out that doesn't account for the Rams' 11-2 record against those teams.

1 hour ago, Pool said:

I am going off of profootballreference's SoS. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/

But regardless, we can admit that Chicago's schedule has been buttery soft, right? So going back to your original query, doesn't that make you a little nervous? I mean, the Bears did beat the Rams. in a 29 degree game. Which they probably won't see a ton of in the postseason. Worrisome? Or "we are the underdogs, so no pressure"?

By talking ish I just mean busting chops. That's all. You were laying it on a bit thick originally. That's all I am saying.

5 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

I am going off of profootballreference's SoS. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/

But regardless, we can admit that Chicago's schedule has been buttery soft, right? So going back to your original query, doesn't that make you a little nervous? I mean, the Bears did beat the Rams. in a 29 degree game. Which they probably won't see a ton of in the postseason. Worrisome? Or "we are the underdogs, so no pressure"?

By talking ish I just mean busting chops. That's all. You were laying it on a bit thick originally. That's all I am saying.

I am always nervous when the Bears play. I won't argue that the Bears have had a hard schedule. Bears fans are living off house money. There were no expectations for them to do anything this year. The Rams went all in this year and lost their toughest NFC matchups outside of Seattle. That'd make me more nervous as a Rams fan. 

Just now, Pool said:

I am always nervous when the Bears play. I won't argue that the Bears have had a hard schedule. Bears fans are living off house money. There were no expectations for them to do anything this year. The Rams went all in this year and lost their toughest NFC matchups outside of Seattle. That'd make me more nervous as a Rams fan. 

It's like I said, you are in that fan friendly "safe space." No expectations = no disappointments. 

I guess it's all in personal perspective. Again, we have played the hardest schedule in the NFC and one of the top 5 toughest schedules in the NFL. Despite that we are 11-2. We have beaten playoff caliber teams in the Chargers, Chiefs and Seahawks (x2). We fought a very tough game against the Saints. And we lost a 29 degree game to the Bears. You don't think maybe you are being a little reductive in what the Rams have managed to accomplish or how they have looked this season?

I am far more nervous about whether our defense can do its job and how our relative inexperience in the postseason will impact the team than the two losses we have had this season. I mean... we lost to 2 good teams. Right? Isn't that who the Rams should be losing to? Good teams? Like... would you be less nervous as a Rams fan if we lost to the Cardinals and Raiders?

1 hour ago, Non-Issue said:

It's like I said, you are in that fan friendly "safe space." No expectations = no disappointments. 

I guess it's all in personal perspective. Again, we have played the hardest schedule in the NFC and one of the top 5 toughest schedules in the NFL. Despite that we are 11-2. We have beaten playoff caliber teams in the Chargers, Chiefs and Seahawks (x2). We fought a very tough game against the Saints. And we lost a 29 degree game to the Bears. You don't think maybe you are being a little reductive in what the Rams have managed to accomplish or how they have looked this season?

I am far more nervous about whether our defense can do its job and how our relative inexperience in the postseason will impact the team than the two losses we have had this season. I mean... we lost to 2 good teams. Right? Isn't that who the Rams should be losing to? Good teams? Like... would you be less nervous as a Rams fan if we lost to the Cardinals and Raiders?

Lol don’t know why but the last part cracked me up. 

1 hour ago, Pool said:

Why would that make us nervous? We beat the Chiefs and Chargers at home. We lost to the Bears and Saints on the road. That's not a shocker. As a fan of a franchise that was bad for a very long time, I am "nervous" before just about any game. But I'm certainly not worried about our season because we're 11-2. You're basically saying that the only way we couldn't be "nervous" is if we stayed undefeated all season. It's a pretty silly point imo. The Rams are battle tested. They've beaten legit teams. Their two losses are legit teams. The reality of the NFL is that only one team can win the Super Bowl. If that's not us, so be it. We'll have our shot, and our shot is as good as any other team's.

Also, the claim that we went all in this year is total horse manure. We aren't likely to lose a lot of key players this off-season. We have a lot of cap room in 2019, 2020, 2021, etc. Our team is young outside the OL (where we've already drafted the guys who might be the successors to our old vets). And our coach certainly isn't going anywhere. This isn't a team that is selling out for one year.

2 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

Am I being reductive? Don't get me wrong here. Ya'll got a good team. No denying that. But I think you're more nervous after that loss to the Bears than you're willing to admit. And it doesn't matter that it was the Bears. Could have been any team. Watching your team get beaten badly when you have SB aspirations raises questions that weren't there before. And hey, strength of schedule etc etc I don't much care about that. None of that helps you win on the field. Nor will it matter after this seasons over. When you talk about how they have looked do you want to look closer at that? I mean, the KC game was a complete mess of a game by both teams. I see some pretty close games against mediocre teams (GB,DEN, when looking at your schedule. It really looks like the only games you dominated were against the lowly Cardinals and 49'ers. Correct me if I'm wrong here as I really don't follow your team much.  

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Why would that make us nervous? We beat the Chiefs and Chargers at home. We lost to the Bears and Saints on the road. That's not a shocker. As a fan of a franchise that was bad for a very long time, I am "nervous" before just about any game. But I'm certainly not worried about our season because we're 11-2. You're basically saying that the only way we couldn't be "nervous" is if we stayed undefeated all season. It's a pretty silly point imo. The Rams are battle tested. They've beaten legit teams. Their two losses are legit teams. The reality of the NFL is that only one team can win the Super Bowl. If that's not us, so be it. We'll have our shot, and our shot is as good as any other team's.

Also, the claim that we went all in this year is total horse manure. We aren't likely to lose a lot of key players this off-season. We have a lot of cap room in 2019, 2020, 2021, etc. Our team is young outside the OL (where we've already drafted the guys who might be the successors to our old vets). And our coach certainly isn't going anywhere. This isn't a team that is selling out for one year.

I'm saying in your situation its SuperBowl or bust. I mean, those are the expectations are they not? And when you get beat badly it's got put a little bit of a dent in that. 

Archived