How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The Vikings lost to the Eagles who were defensive equals.  The Jags lost to a BETTER statistical defense in the Pats.  The Pats then lost to the superior defense in the Eagles.  Defense still wins championships.  Here I is a fun fact, the last 5 SuperBowl champs have been top 5 scoring defenses

The Eagles offense was more explosive and of course we know Foles turned into Wentz because in the Vikings and Pats games he looked like Wentz MVP regular season campaign before he got hurt. No way Keenum was going to match that. Same way with Bortles. He wasnt going to match what Brady was doing and that was with him not having certain guys on the field because they got hurt during the Jags game. I see your point but times are changing. Its no longer defense wins championships. Its timely defensive plays will win championships or at the very best great defense in certain situations like 3rd downs or red zone will win championships. Its not going to be where your team can score 10pts like the Cowboys did against the Saints or 15pts like the Bears did to the Rams or 17pts like the Ravens did to the Chiefs somehow that team goes on to win the Superbowl. Nobody was believing in Foles until he went crazy in the playoffs and started putting these huge numbers up on offense. Had he still been playing like the QB we thought he would be, the Eagles had no shot because their offense wouldnt have been good enough without Wentz. 

1 minute ago, El ramster said:

Not really. One team is 11-2. Enjoy the win. Heck of a win. Felt like your SB I bet 😘

Nope we've been there before, twice.  The SuperBowl feels.like the SuperBowl.  This felt like a regular season win over an offensive team that doesn't play defense and wanted no.part of the physical domination they were being dealt.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Nope we've been there before, twice.  The SuperBowl feels.like the SuperBowl.  This felt like a regular season win over an offensive team that doesn't play defense and wanted no.part of the physical domination they were being dealt.

Lol ok friend. Keep flexing. Keep beating up that gorilla chest, I be laughing at you old man.. Enjoy this week. Talk it baby because you’ve earned it. 

Last night it was clear that the Bears was the better team no doubt. To put it all on Goff is absurd. 

McVay only handed the ball off to Gurley 11 times. You do realize that on the road, Gurley averages 28 rushing attempts? 

Outside of the defense and Hekker, who was great last night? The oline had mental lapses with leaving defenders unblocked. The offense had alot of presnapped penalties which they usually dont have. The receivers dropped balls. The biggest one was Goff hitting Reynolds on a wide open pitch and catch and Reynolds bobbled the ball as he was heading out of bounds. Reynolds also had an easy 1st down if he ran where he shouldve. Instead he took worst route and got stopped short of the 1st down. McVay burned two timeouts in the span of seconds. Like the team in general was out of whack. Even Zeurlein misses a field goal he normally makes with ease. The defense played well and Hekker did his job but outside of that, nothing went right. This isnt all on Goff. Cant say the same for Trubisky. His defense play tremendously. Howard had over 100yds rushing and Cohen had big moments yet Trubisky turned the ball over 3 times and the Bears only came away with 15pts, most of it because of short fields. So again Ill take a page from Dieon Sanders when I say this game meant nothing for the Rams in general. Yes they couldve wrapped up a 1st round bye and kept the advantage on the 1 seed but nobody should come away panicking. The Rams arent going to have to travel back to Chicago in the playoffs. Outside of going to Arizona in 2 weeks, the rest of the Rams games are going to be in LA and at worst one game is possibly going to be in New Orleans in a dome where Goff and the Rams offense put up 35pts. So the sky isnt falling, it was just a learning experience for Goff and McVay on the road in the cold against a great defense to look at next time they are faced in a similar situation. 

15 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I agree with you up into that last part. I know the Rams were without Talib for most of the season so all everyone knows is how terrible the Rams were without him. With him the Rams havent allowed more than 23pts in a game. He has taken out Cooper, Fitzgerald, Allen, Golladay, and now Robinson. So I dont know how long the perception is going to change to where people give respect to the Rams defense with Talib back but that narrative is that the Rams defense isnt going to be like it was when Talib was in street clothes.

No fan should willingly want to face either the Cowboys, Ravens or Bears defences in the playoffs. The only plus point for opposing teams is the QB play is middling to woeful on all three teams.

The Saints and Rams have the advantage of probably playing at home in the playoffs, and creative coaches who with two weeks to plan will identify some weaknesses to exploit but as @Superman(DH23) says...defences travel, even on the road, in the playoffs. That advantage isn't going anywhere.

Any judgement on Jared Goff based on just last nights game is equally silly. I can already see the "he's only Matt Ryan" or "he sucks against good defences" as if the likes of Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees, some of the best QB's of all time, haven't laid absolute eggs against some great defences. Brees did so 10 days ago! which largely ended his MVP hopes imo.

Can't wait for the "Jared Goff sucks in the cold" takes that Brees and Matt Ryan have had to deal with over the years also. That'll be the stick to beat him with next year if the Rams are not the #1/#2 seed. That said that'll be amusing given some of @stl4life07 posts about Brees recently.

No Rams fan should be pumping their chest after that embarassment. The Bears D was ridiculous, and bar Mack getting injured, I see no reason why they can't do the same again in the playoffs. Rightfully though I don't and I don't think any fan expects lightning to strike twice.

7 minutes ago, Magnifico said:

No fan should willingly want to face either the Cowboys, Ravens or Bears defences in the playoffs. The only plus point for opposing teams is the QB play is middling to woeful on all three teams.

The Saints and Rams have the advantage of probably playing at home in the playoffs, and creative coaches who with two weeks to plan will identify some weaknesses to exploit but as @Superman(DH23) says...defences travel, even on the road, in the playoffs. That advantage isn't good anywhere.

Any judgement on Jared Goff based on just last nights game is equally silly. I can already see the "he's only Matt Ryan" or "he sucks against good defences" as if the likes of Manning, Brady, Rodgers and Brees, some of the best QB's of all time, haven't laid absolute eggs against some great defences. Brees did so 10 days ago! which largely ended his MVP hopes imo.

Can't wait for the "Jared Goff sucks in the cold" takes that Brees and Matt Ryan have had to deal with over the years also. That'll be the stick to beat him with next year if the Rams are not the #1/#2 seed. That said that'll be amusing given some of @stl4life07 posts about Brees recently.

No Rams fan should be pumping their chest after that embarassment. The Bears D was ridiculous, and bar Mack getting injured, I see no reason why they can't do the same again in the playoffs. Rightfully though I don't and I don't think any fan expects lightning to strike twice.

Just to be clear, being compared to Matt Ryan is a (rather big) compliment.

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This felt like a regular season win over an offensive team that doesn't play defense...

I don't think that's warranted considering the Bears only put up 13 on that defense. I mean it's alright to throw shade, but what does that say about your offense?

10 minutes ago, Buckweath said:

Just to be clear, being compared to Matt Ryan is a (rather big) compliment.

Ah ok good to know, it's weird. A lot of people seem to be down on Matt Ryan on this forum.

His deep ball is garbage, and he's prone to 1 or 2 stinkers a season but the numbers he puts up are really damn good. Stick him on the Bucs, Ravens, Giants, Cowboys and we're talking about each of those teams in a much different light.

Archived