How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

Jared Goff is great.  As someone who doubted him coming out of Cal and after his rookie year, he's proved me wrong.  There are guys who are accurate and there are guys like Goff, who can make throws that are the difference between a 10 yard throw with no YAC and a 10 yard throw with 30 yards worth of YAC.  Quick release, sees the field well and doesn't make very many mistakes beyond the norm for a young quarterback, and he's willing to push the ball down the field which is a big trait I look for in QBs.  Rams have done a very good job surrounding him with receivers who fit his skill-set to a tee (Cooks, Woods, and Kupp when healthy complement each other so well) and Goff has made the most of it.

If I were to exclude the older QBs (Rodgers, Brady, Ben, Brees, Rivers, Ryan), I'd probably rank Goff #1 if I had to predict the next three years or so. I think there is a debate to be made after that between Wilson, Luck, Mahomes, Newton, and Wentz, but Goff would be my top guy.  Although if I had to pick someone from that next group who has the best chance of threatening it, it might be Luck.  Luck's went from being overrated/overhyped his first three or so years to really underrated beginning with his last fully healthy season before this year, but he's proving his worth again and I could see him getting even better as he gets more comfortable with his arm.  He would be the guy I'm most comfortable taking over Goff, if I was going to, over the next 3 years. 

As far as Mahomes, I don't think it is fair to say he's a product of the guys around him.  If you can't watch him play and tell that he's an elite arm talent (and I'm not just talking arm strength), then I don't know what to tell you - he's made some Rodgers like throws this season.  However I do want to see how he does when things break down around him where he has to do more in regards to dissecting and picking teams apart.  I'd trust Goff in a lesser environment than I would Mahomes, and it is why I wouldn't definitively say he's better than those guys I grouped him with overall (obviously he's been the best this season between them).  But he's definitely got the kind of potential to get there.

11 hours ago, jaa1025 said:

I'd probably put him somewhere in the 5-10 range. I don't think he will ever be a great QB. He was noticeably behind Mahomes talent wise.

Im curious to find out why you think Goff wont ever be great?

Goff has the talent around him locked up. Cooks, Woods, Kupp, and Gurley isnt going anyone in the near future. Goff is talented in his own right and is a hard worker. He has McVay as his head coach. McVay isnt going anywhere no time soon. Why cant Goff ever be great? He has all the boxes checked to be setup to be great eventually. So to say he wont ever be great, I want to know why you think he wont ever be great?

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

Im curious to find out why you think Goff wont ever be great?

Goff has the talent around him locked up. Cooks, Woods, Kupp, and Gurley isnt going anyone in the near future. Goff is talented in his own right and is a hard worker. He has McVay as his head coach. McVay isnt going anywhere no time soon. Why cant Goff ever be great? He has all the boxes checked to be setup to be great eventually. So to say he wont ever be great, I want to know why you think he wont ever be great?

I personally think Goff is already great and should stay great but you forget to mention something which might be the most important thing to Goff, after McVay, the OL.

I believe he needs a good OL more so than other great QBs and there's no guarantee the Rams will have a great OL in the foreseeable future. Whitworth will need to be replaced very soon. Sullivan is older too. Saffold is 30 years old.

McVay's system should help if the OL falters but I believe Goff doesn't deal with pressure as well as other great QBs.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:33 AM, Danger said:

I think it's definitely hard to rank the young QBs. 

McVay is clearly better than Doug Pederson as an offensive mind. I thought that maybe Pederson was in the same ballpark last year, but there have been numerous times this year where I've just been dumbfounded with his playcalling.

I wouldn't go that far yet. And I say that as someone who loves McVay, but he still hasn't won the big game yet.

I think Goff is pretty amazing. And I always want to point to a rising star like him whenever people decry the old school pocket passers as things of the past. The first step to being a good QB in the NFL is being a good pocket passer IMO. That doesn't mean just being able to throw from the pocket, but knowing how to move inside that pocket to buy more time to beat pressure. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Philip Rivers are some of the best at it. And Goff is definitely getting up there.

Sidenote: I'm envious that Rivers never had a Sean McVay, Andy Reid, or Sean Payton. The closest was probably Norv, but he was a dinosaur when it came to scheme. Never seemed to adapt at all. And he never really inspired confidence or showed leadership like those three.

12 hours ago, Buckweath said:

I personally think Goff is already great and should stay great but you forget to mention something which might be the most important thing to Goff, after McVay, the OL.

I believe he needs a good OL more so than other great QBs and there's no guarantee the Rams will have a great OL in the foreseeable future. Whitworth will need to be replaced very soon. Sullivan is older too. Saffold is 30 years old.

McVay's system should help if the OL falters but I believe Goff doesn't deal with pressure as well as other great QBs.

I think Goff's time at Cal helped him deal with pressure as well as any QB could. It showed up in the way his legs would move inside the pocket to buy an extra microsecond.

3 hours ago, Buckweath said:

You are right about the oline. The Rams drafted guys like Noteboom to sit behind Whitworth a develop. Plus the Rams have one of the best oline coaches in the NFL in Kroemer. So when we talk about Noteboom who is learning and developing behind Whitworth and Blythe who stepped in and is actually an upgrade over Brown who was the starter last season. Havenstein is better than he was last season and thus got an extension so he will be the right tackle for years to come. Then other guys like Demby and Allen (a guy the Rams drafted because he reminded them of Sullivan). Like the Rams future on the oline has good potential down the road when Whitworth and Sullivan is no longer playing for the Rams. 

As for Goff though I agree he doesnt totally deal with pressure well but pretty much every QB doesnt deal with pressure well. The strange then if we are talking about the greatness of Mahomes, he struggles when he has to hold the ball 2.5 seconds or longer. Goff thrives when he has to hold on to the ball 2.5 seconds or longer. Which in a McVay offense, Goff typically has to hold on to the ball 2.5 seconds or longer for the plays to develop. So I find that to be interesting. 

Archived