How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

20 hours ago, game3525 said:

Well....yeah.

Rivers has played more post-seasons games. More chances for poor showings. Anyway, Rivers has 5 games that are better then what Goff showed in 2017. 

Ehhhh. I think I might argue Rivers has had 3 games that were better. The other 6 were as good or worse than Jared Goff's very 1st playoff game. 

If you are going to automatically go with the more experienced hand rather than the "young QB with the hot hand", you generally want the experience to have been successful. Or at least moderately successful. Rivers has been sort of a postseason bust his entire career. 

On 11/25/2018 at 9:02 PM, jrry32 said:

Rivers was a nightmare in his first playoff start. And the thing about Goff's first playoff start is that he delivered big time in the clutch. The stats won't show it, but if you watched the game, you know what I mean. Higbee and Watkins both dropped TD passes on 3rd and 4th down from the 5. And then after the Rams defense got a stop, Goff threw a perfect bomb to Watkins that should have been another TD, but Sammy let it go right through his hands. Goff struggled in the early going of that game, but he stepped his game up as the game progressed.

I didn't see Goff's first playoff start. But going by your analysis, it seems that he had the same nightmare as Rivers first playoff start. Just replace Higbee and Watkins with Gates and Vincent Jackson in terms of missed TDs (which sucks even more because it's Gates and VJ). Now imagine still leading the 4th quarter by a TD and Marcus Peters intercepts a ball and then promptly fumbles it back to the other team giving them another chance to tie the game.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

I didn't see Goff's first playoff start. But going by your analysis, it seems that he had the same nightmare as Rivers first playoff start. Just replace Higbee and Watkins with Gates and Vincent Jackson in terms of missed TDs (which sucks even more because it's Gates and VJ). Now imagine still leading the 4th quarter by a TD and Marcus Peters intercepts a ball and then prompt fumbles it back to the other team giving them another chance to tie the game.

I remember Marlon McCree. :/

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I remember Marlon McCree. :/

2006 was the year that could have been. Part of me still wonders what would happened if we had beaten New England. Would Rivers' foot hold up well enough against the Colts the next game?

• 2 weeks later...

Are we really going to do this?

Goff is really good. People single out certain defenses and overlook others. Didnt Goff carve up a talented Vikings defense earlier this season? Didnt Goff have a really good game against a talented Chargers defense earlier this season? You can point to his road failures in terms of stats, but last season Goff only threw like 2 ints on the road. The guy only has 3 road losses since McVay got with the Rams.

So while its easy to overact based on what we saw tonight and mention some other games along the way, Goff has shown he is a really good QB. He is young still so take that into consideration. As he continues to grow with experience he will get better. I thought tonight McVay kind of failed him in a since that they couldve leaned on Gurley more earlier. At one time the Rams passed the ball 9 straight times on a drive that expanded 9+ plays. The reason the Rams didnt run Gurley much against the Chiefs because he got banged up earlier. Nothing was wrong with Gurley tonight. I believe had the Rams ran Gurley, those playaction passes wouldve worked. But again Goff is a really good QB who had and is going to have in the future bad games. He is going to have more good to great games than bad though and we shall see what happens in the playoffs when the Rams have to play in LA or one game in a dome in New Orleans. He wont have to go back to Chicago. If anything I will see if Chicago go shut the Rams offense down twice and this time on the road. Just ask Zimmer how that turn out? He shutdown the Rams in Minnesota last season. His team played the Rams in LA this season and Goff and the Rams offense had a legendary performance. So part of me what to see Chicago in LA in the playoffs to see if they can do what they did tonight again. 

There's no reason to change any opinion of Goff based on a single road game against what is the best defense in the NFL. Jared Goff is still an excellent quarterback. 

The answer to the question of how good is Jared Goff is still: roughly 85% as good as he would be with Kyle Shanahan as his coach. 

:)

8 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

Goff is not as good against top flight defenses. 

He does great against teams with average defenses. But against teams like the Bears and Broncos he’s had his two worst games. He relies too much on play action getting wrs open

It's almost like it's harder to play better defenses or something.

10 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Are we really going to do this?

Goff is really good. People single out certain defenses and overlook others. Didnt Goff carve up a talented Vikings defense earlier this season? Didnt Goff have a really good game against a talented Chargers defense earlier this season? You can point to his road failures in terms of stats, but last season Goff only threw like 2 ints on the road. The guy only has 3 road losses since McVay got with the Rams.

So while its easy to overact based on what we saw tonight and mention some other games along the way, Goff has shown he is a really good QB. He is young still so take that into consideration. As he continues to grow with experience he will get better. I thought tonight McVay kind of failed him in a since that they couldve leaned on Gurley more earlier. At one time the Rams passed the ball 9 straight times on a drive that expanded 9+ plays. The reason the Rams didnt run Gurley much against the Chiefs because he got banged up earlier. Nothing was wrong with Gurley tonight. I believe had the Rams ran Gurley, those playaction passes wouldve worked. But again Goff is a really good QB who had and is going to have in the future bad games. He is going to have more good to great games than bad though and we shall see what happens in the playoffs when the Rams have to play in LA or one game in a dome in New Orleans. He wont have to go back to Chicago. If anything I will see if Chicago go shut the Rams offense down twice and this time on the road. Just ask Zimmer how that turn out? He shutdown the Rams in Minnesota last season. His team played the Rams in LA this season and Goff and the Rams offense had a legendary performance. So part of me what to see Chicago in LA in the playoffs to see if they can do what they did tonight again. 

You really dont want to see this Bears D in the playoffs, whether it's in Chicago or LA.  Nobody does.  Of course I dont want to go to the Dome and face the Saints, but the Bears are gonna have a punchers chance there.  The saying "Defense wins Championships" is earned.  Pass D especially.  The Bears punish the QB and they take the ball away.  3 of the 4 losses the Bears had this year were all bc the D missed tackles allowing big plays late in the game.  If the D doesnt do that, it's a wrap.  There is no weakness on this defense. They have the best pass rusher in the game, the best overall interior presence, one of if not the best outside cb, the best nb, the best safety, and the ILBs are either #1 or #2.  They are going to have 4 maybe 5 all pros at the end of the year.  Wishing for this defense IN THE PLAYOFFS  of all things, is folly

10 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

You really dont want to see this Bears D in the playoffs, whether it's in Chicago or LA.  Nobody does.  Of course I dont want to go to the Dome and face the Saints, but the Bears are gonna have a punchers chance there.  The saying "Defense wins Championships" is earned.  Pass D especially.  The Bears punish the QB and they take the ball away.  3 of the 4 losses the Bears had this year were all bc the D missed tackles allowing big plays late in the game.  If the D doesnt do that, it's a wrap.  There is no weakness on this defense. They have the best pass rusher in the game, the best overall interior presence, one of if not the best outside cb, the best nb, the best safety, and the ILBs are either #1 or #2.  They are going to have 4 maybe 5 all pros at the end of the year.  Wishing for this defense IN THE PLAYOFFS  of all things, is folly

If the Bears are in our path, so be it. McVay takes it very personally when he's made to look the fool and gets even in the next game. Plus, playing in LA without the crowd noise and cold will make it a very different environment. There are a lot of tough teams in the NFC. We're going to have to beat two or three to make the Super Bowl. 

Archived