How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

On 12/10/2018 at 10:52 PM, Pool said:

I thought I was being real bro? You didn't barely lose that game yesterday. Ya'll got dominated. Lost by 10 to the Saints. I'd have to watch the recap but a ten point loss doesn't scream close game. I don't see how that wouldn't make you a little nervous. 

Was tight early, back and forth. Both teams scored on their first two possessions so it was 14-14. Rams got the ball after a Saints fumble deep in Saints territory but couldn't move the ball. Passed up a short field goal in favor of a fake punt that didn't work. Saints go all the way down the field and score a touchdown to make it 21-14.

Rams next possession bogs down and they try a 51 yard FG which misses. Saints go 60 yards and score another touchdown to make it 28-14 with about a minute left in the first half. On the Rams 1st and 10 Goff throws an interception. Saints score another TD to make it 35-14. Rams get a really long FG to make it 35-17 at the half.

Rams come out like a freight train in the second half. Saints go three consecutive possession unable to move the ball very much. Rams score two touchdowns and a field goal to tie it up.

Saints turn the lights back on and get a field goal, then a stop. Then next possession Brees hits Thomas for 80, Thomas pulls a cell phone out of the goalposts and people lose their mind loving and hating it. Saints get a stop on downs. Game over.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:37 PM, Pool said:

Serious question. No shade. Assuming the Cowboys, Saints, Rams, and Bears are the top 4 teams in the NFC, does it concern you that you've lost to two of those teams and haven't played the third? I mean, ya'll are obviously a very good team and I want no part of ya in LA but I feel like it's got to make you just a little more nervous than maybe you were before.

I've been nervous since Talib went down and our secondary exposed our defense. But I find the loss to the Bears a lot more worrisome than the loss to the Saints. The Saints are, arguably, the best team in the NFL. And it went down to the wire. Whereas the Bears should have been a win. They lost to a sorry Giants. They struggled against a sorry Lions. They just havent looked impressive lately. So for Goff to go in and lay an egg like he did will naturally concern me. 

Let's face it, the Rams are the darlings of the NFL media. So teams bring their A game. But the Rams fans aren't buying into the hype. We are just as real as any other fans. The only difference is we don't get the security that comes with rooting for an underdog. You know... when the underdog loses it was "because they were supposed to" but if they win it's "because they're badasses." It's a "safe space" for a fan to be in.

All I can do is root from the sideline and hope my boys get the job done. Just like everyone else.

On 12/10/2018 at 11:23 PM, Pool said:

Interesting. Didn't view this as a big game or just not that invested in your team? I'm always anxious watching the Bears regardless of who they play. I would have thought with  how easy your schedule has been you'd have been amped up to see how your team performs against a playoff caliber team.

We have had the toughest SoS in the NFC. Fourth toughest in the NFL. That is current. Not preseason. The Bears, by comparison, have had the easiest (by far) schedule in the NFC and 2nd easiest in the NFL. 

You started out talking ish before coming back down to earth so I can't tell if you really thought this was true. But in case you did think we have had a soft schedule, we really haven't. You guys have.

I mean, congrats on a huge win. But come on, mayne. 

9 minutes ago, Non-Issue said:

I've been nervous since Talib went down and our secondary exposed our defense. But I find the loss to the Bears a lot more worrisome than the loss to the Saints. The Saints are, arguably, the best team in the NFL. And it went down to the wire. Whereas the Bears should have been a win. They lost to a sorry Giants. They struggled against a sorry Lions. They just havent looked impressive lately. So for Goff to go in and lay an egg like he did will naturally concern me. 

Let's face it, the Rams are the darlings of the NFL media. So teams bring their A game. But the Rams fans aren't buying into the hype. We are just as real as any other fans. The only difference is we don't get the security that comes with rooting for an underdog. You know... when the underdog loses it was "because they were supposed to" but if they win it's "because they're badasses." It's a "safe space" for a fan to be in.

All I can do is root from the sideline and hope my boys get the job done. Just like everyone else.

If Goff doesn't rebound, I'll be concerned. Him laying an egg in that game just doesn't worry me at this point. That game was a total disaster all around. Goff has more of a gunslinger mentality than most realize. When things aren't going well, he'll force some throws that he normally wouldn't. But every bad game is a learning experience for him.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:52 PM, Pool said:

I thought I was being real bro? You didn't barely lose that game yesterday. Ya'll got dominated. Lost by 10 to the Saints. I'd have to watch the recap but a ten point loss doesn't scream close game. I don't see how that wouldn't make you a little nervous. 

Let's put it this way, this is the first time all season that we played a genuinely bad game. Yes, the Bears dominated. But the Bears still only won 15-6. Goff had arguably the worst game of his career. Our offense had their worst game of the McVay era. We played you in freezing weather in Chicago. And y'all only won 15-6.

Do I want to play the Bears again? No, I'd rather play the Seahawks if I had my choice. But I'm just not very troubled by that game. We laid eggs against Minnesota and Seattle last year. The next time we played them, we dropped 42 points on Seattle and 38 points on Minnesota. McVay is the type of guy who takes it very personally when he's made to look bad. I have a lot of confidence that he's going to have a much better plan the next time we play Chicago.

Now, odds are that Trubisky won't play as poorly as he did. Odds are also that Goff won't play as poorly as he did. However, barring the Rams somehow blowing all three of their games, the rematch happens in LA (if it happens). That's a very different environment. As for the Saints, it's a very different game the next time we play them. I don't know if we'll win, but it's going to be a lot harder for the Saints with Aqib Talib back. He's the sort of DB who will make things very difficult on Michael Thomas. They won't have the Thomas/Peters mismatch to exploit.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

If Goff doesn't rebound, I'll be concerned. Him laying an egg in that game just doesn't worry me at this point. That game was a total disaster all around. Goff has more of a gunslinger mentality than most realize. When things aren't going well, he'll force some throws that he normally wouldn't. But every bad game is a learning experience for him.

Let's put it this way, this is the first time all season that we played a genuinely bad game. Yes, the Bears dominated. But the Bears still only won 15-6. Goff had arguably the worst game of his career. Our offense had their worst game of the McVay era. We played you in freezing weather in Chicago. And y'all only won 15-6.

Do I want to play the Bears again? No, I'd rather play the Seahawks if I had my choice. But I'm just not very troubled by that game. We laid eggs against Minnesota and Seattle last year. The next time we played them, we dropped 42 points on Seattle and 38 points on Minnesota. McVay is the type of guy who takes it very personally when he's made to look bad. I have a lot of confidence that he's going to have a much better plan the next time we play Chicago.

Now, odds are that Trubisky won't play as poorly as he did. Odds are also that Goff won't play as poorly as he did. However, barring the Rams somehow blowing all three of their games, the rematch happens in LA (if it happens). That's a very different environment. As for the Saints, it's a very different game the next time we play them. I don't know if we'll win, but it's going to be a lot harder for the Saints with Aqib Talib back. He's the sort of DB who will make things very difficult on Michael Thomas. They won't have the Thomas/Peters mismatch to exploit.

I want the Bears again and not the Seahawks. I dont want to face the Seahawks for the third time and they have Wilson. I dont trust Trubisky. He couldnt even get his team to score but 13 offense points despite the HFA and his defense playing lights out. You think he can go to LA where the Rams are in their element, Goff is playing at an MVP level at home that Trubisky is going to keep up with Goff? The Bears arent shutting the Rams offense down in LA. Ill say it again and nobody has to agree with me, that Bears game in Chicago reminded me alot of that Vikings game in Minnesota last season. When the Rams had a chance to play that same Vikings team but this time it was in LA, McVay made it his goal to show Zimmer, you werent as good as you was in the game in Minnesota and the Rams werent as bad as they looked in the game in Minnesota. Plus if you give McVay an extra week to prepare for the Bears because the Rams will have a BYE. I think McVay is going to have a gameplan where people are going to be saying, "is this the same Bears defense that shutdown the Rams Week 14 of the regular season?". Plus McVay doesnt make the same mistake twice against the same team. Week 5 against the Seahawks Gurley had 16 touches for 50yds. People questioned, why Gurley wasnt involved more? Week 15 against the Seahawks, McVay made it his goal to feature Gurley. He had 24 touches for 180yds and 4 tds. Week 11 against the Vikings Gurley had 18 touches for 56yds and 1 td. Most of that came on the first drive of the game. Again people talked about how the Vikings defense took away Gurley after that first drive. What happened Week 4 this season against the Vikings? Gurley had 21 touches for 156yds and 1 td. Point is McVay might make a mistake once against a team but best believe he is going to go back into the lab and that same team dont want to see him again. So again I take nothing away from the Bears because they did shut down the Rams offense but if they really think about it, they shouldnt want to face McVay again even. I dont want to face the Seahawks for the third time. How many times do you think the Rams will beat Wilson in a row? So far we have beaten Wilson three straight dating back to last season. Do you want to test your luck with four straight? Also keep in mind that last season in LA the Seahawks won even though Kupp dropped what wouldve been the game winning td and this season in LA Wilson had the ball marching down the field to score the game-winning td but came up short. 

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

How many times do you think the Rams will beat Wilson in a row? So far we have beaten Wilson three straight dating back to last season. Do you want to test your luck with four straight? Also keep in mind that last season in LA the Seahawks won even though Kupp dropped what wouldve been the game winning td and this season in LA Wilson had the ball marching down the field to score the game-winning td but came up short. 

First, you gotta break up those blocks of text, my man haha. Second, yes, I want to test our luck. I think the Bears are a better team.

25 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

First, you gotta break up those blocks of text, my man haha. Second, yes, I want to test our luck. I think the Bears are a better team.

Yeah I was just typing away and wasn’t thinking lol. But I agree the Bears overall is better but the thought of facing a divisional opponent who has a Superbowl experienced elite QB for the third time in one season scares me. Especially knowing that both games was so close and a play here or there could’ve been the Seahawks sweeping the Rams. 

On 12/10/2018 at 11:37 PM, Pool said:

Serious question. No shade. Assuming the Cowboys, Saints, Rams, and Bears are the top 4 teams in the NFC, does it concern you that you've lost to two of those teams and haven't played the third? I mean, ya'll are obviously a very good team and I want no part of ya in LA but I feel like it's got to make you just a little more nervous than maybe you were before.

McVay hasn't lost to a team twice - so if anything, those losses actually boost our confidence a little.

The question has already been answered, but our schedule has been very tough. Seattle is now 8-5 (8-3 aside from the Rams) and beat down Dallas earlier in the year. Dallas is obviously better now than they were then, but there's an argument there that Seattle is a top 4 team in the NFC. We have five wins against teams currently in the playoffs (and IMO that will be in the playoffs), and the two losses you talked about. I'm not concerned at all because of those losses - both games were closer than the scores ended up being and you can argue that the Rams lost those games as opposed to the Bears or Saints winning them, which always makes fans feel better (I'm not saying that's definitively the case, but you asked if it's a concern losing to the Saints and Bears - it's much less of a concern when your team plays so poorly or makes some uncharacteristic mistakes, which happened in both games).

I don't think the match up matters - Seahawks, Vikings, Bears, Cowboys - all play defense, two run the ball more and two pass the ball more. I'm nervous about the Rams in the playoffs because outside of Talib, the rest of the roster has never won a playoff game. So until we do, I'll be nervous. But as far as who we play, they shouldn't be able to come to LA and win, so that part I won't be stressing about.

Arguments and crap-flinging just follow the Ram fans around here. Saints one week, followed by Cowboys, then Chiefs, now Chicago. It's like anyone who dares to cause concern is going to get the treatment. Must be a new-found success thing. It's a good thing they've got Non Issue (fantastic poster) to bring balance.

Anyway, Goff is still really good, for me. And for those saying he can't play in the cold - I doubt he'll need to, so what then? I think he wins the SB this year. Next season, when we're bored and doing our top 10 QB lists, I bet he's in top 4.

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Arguments and crap-flinging just follow the Ram fans around here. Saints one week, followed by Cowboys, then Chiefs, now Chicago. It's like anyone who dares to cause concern is going to get the treatment. Must be a new-found success thing. It's a good thing they've got Non Issue (fantastic poster) to bring balance.

Anyway, Goff is still really good, for me. And for those saying he can't play in the cold - I doubt he'll need to, so what then? I think he wins the SB this year. Next season, when we're bored and doing our top 10 QB lists, I bet he's in top 4.

Goff also has some tight games in the not so cold weather as well, 

He's very good. Just need more years of consistency to be elite. Obviously, he needs to avoid having more bad games like one against Chicago, but every QB has a bad game. McVay, in particular, needs to stop being so pass happy when he's behind. He's almost the exact opposite of someone like Marty Schottenheimer.

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

Brady threw 4 picks in 2002 against the Bills. Peyton Manning threw 6 picks in one game. 

It happens to the best. Like McVay says, consistency is the truest measurement of performance 

He really only threw 3. As the 4th was a Hail Mary. 

21 minutes ago, Xenos said:

He's very good. Just need more years of consistency to be elite. Obviously, he needs to avoid having more bad games like one against Chicago, but every QB has a bad game. McVay, in particular, needs to stop being so pass happy when he's behind. He's almost the exact opposite of someone like Marty Schottenheimer.

McVay just tries to do too much as times. The gameplan should be simple, that is run Gurley alot on the road and at home if you want to pass the ball alot then do so. If Im not mistaken, Goff throws the ball on average 35 times at home. Gurley runs the ball on average 28 times on the road. So when I look at that game on Sunday on the road, Goff throwing the ball 44 times and Gurley only running the ball 11 times is a recipe that was sure to fail. Its not like Goff cant have a great game in cold weather on the road. Last season the Rams went to Tennessee in the cold late in the season and he threw for 304yds 4 tds and no ints and actually had his first 4th quarter comeback win. The reason why Goff was so effective was because Gurley touched the ball 32 times for 276yds and 2 tds. He ran the ball 22 times. 

Its funny though because speaking of last season, Goff only threw 2 ints on the road all season long. He was better in general way better on the road than at home. This season he is way better at home than on the road. Overall Goff still has the most wins of any starting QB in the NFL dating back to the start of last season and the Rams only have 3 road losses under McVay. 

Archived