How good is Jared Goff?

jrry32

8 minutes ago, El ramster said:

It’s the old. Big Ben, Brees, Brady and Rodgers. 

Have done it longer 

I'm talking about this year, though.  How can we talk about how long Big Ben has done it for when this is only Mahomes first year as a starter?  Right now, there aren't five QB's better than Goff or Mahomes based off play this season.

11 minutes ago, El ramster said:

It’s the old. Big Ben, Brees, Brady and Rodgers. 

Have done it longer 

The question was who has been better this season. Not for an entire career. B|

And to be honest, Brees is the only one with an argument on your list.

edit: Nevermind, showtime beat me to it.

20 minutes ago, showtime said:

I'm talking about this year, though.  How can we talk about how long Big Ben has done it for when this is only Mahomes first year as a starter?  Right now, there aren't five QB's better than Goff or Mahomes based off play this season.

Nah it’s the old they have to do it longer so this player is DQ. Come on man it’s FF. Then we have our good folks of what have you done for me lately train 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

The question was who has been better this season. Not for an entire career. B|

And to be honest, Brees is the only one with an argument on your list.

edit: Nevermind, showtime beat me to it.

Yet people here are saying he needs to do it for longer to give him credit. Dome said hes in the second rier behind Brees mahomes and prime Brady/Rodgers. So not only is Mahomes already in the same tier as those three but hes not comparing current Brady and Roders. Its typical off how people judge Goff hell people wont credit him for what he does on the field its all McVay.

40 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yet people here are saying he needs to do it for longer to give him credit. Dome said hes in the second rier behind Brees mahomes and prime Brady/Rodgers. So not only is Mahomes already in the same tier as those three but hes not comparing current Brady and Roders. Its typical off how people judge Goff hell people wont credit him for what he does on the field its all McVay.

First of all, forget about all of these people talking about him being a "product of McVay system". Ignore that. Not only is that just a scapegoat in order to try an undermine success (ala Brady/Belichick), but it's also being a hypocritic themselves because McVay has only been a head coach for just as long as Goff has been a QB in a working system that was not controlled by one of the worst coaches to hold a job in history.

I'm a big fan of Goff and have been since his high school days. And no crap, it goes back that long and I have vouched for him since.

That said, I also happen to agree with the longevity aspect that some people are taking here.

Aside from the obvious-- he has to win a playoff game to prove himself (ala Rodgers). He also has to be able to not only play at the same level as years go on (which he has thus far in short time) but he also needs to prove that his level of success is sustainable and improve as well(ala Rodgers again). And this goes for any young QB. 

This is the difference between just another; solid, young rising star who looks good at the moment and a GREAT QB of the future.

We have seen plenty of the former that come and go and only time will tell whether or not Goff is part of the latter. He is certainly on his way to the latter--- anyone with eyes anyhow---but understand that it's going to take another similar year from Goff before people start to truly believe in him. 

Until then, If I were a Rams fans, I wouldn't try to refute anything from detractors. I would let Goff's play do the talking for me.

8 hours ago, showtime said:

Agreed. Things change fast and that's why people should rate players how they perform now and not in the past. And based on that Goff is in the top 3 and Mahomes in the top 2.

7 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

It's the same with other QBs.  Brees/Payton, Brady/Belichick, etc.  If it can be used against you, it's going to be.

You guys can get ready for it.  If the argument is about QBs, then Goff gets carried by Gurley and McVay.  If the argument is about RBs, Gurley is carried by Goff and McVay.  If the argument is about Head Coaches, McVay is carried by Goff and Gurley.  That's just the way it is.

9 hours ago, showtime said:

I feel like if people are saying that they are 7-10 for THIS YEAR and not simply just saying 7th-10th best in the league....they are wrong

I've changed my mind significantly about Goff after watching a lot of him this year. 

Man he's good. Guy reminds me of Manning so much, but with a better arm only not nearly as cerebrally gifted as Peyton was. That's the one thing with Goff that I am unsure of at this point...his "QB IQ and mental aspect". I am not saying he isn't a smart QB, but McVay has limited his ability to SHOW us what he's got up top because I really do believe McVay is the brains behind the offense in that he is talking in Goffs ear pre snap, diagnosing coverages and telling him to audible or not etc. 

Again, not knocking him on it. He very well could be a very cerebral player. I just don't know yet like I do with say Wentz or Wilson (in his 3rd year). 

Goff is that ideal, pocket QB that scouts would have absolutely sold their daughters for back in the day. Big arm with incredible touch and accuracy, pocket awareness that is so rare for guys his age, stays cool under pressure and doesn't seem to get too rattled ever. 

He and Wentz are always going to be compared because of where they were drafted, and both are so obviously incredible QBs who IMO are the top two young QBs in the league if I had to choose. But what's fascinating is how different they also are. They both do really special things, but not the same things per-se.  Wentz reminds me more of Rodgers. And Goff more of Peyton. Pretty sure fans of either the Packers or Colts would be very happy with either of those two. 

I'm still not ready to crown Mahomes yet. Goff and Wentz have 30+ games each that we have seen and can diagnose. Mahomes has 1/3rd that many. And considering that Mahomes truly is in the most QB friendly situation that maybe I've ever seen, I just need to see more. I wanna see what Mahomes does when Andy starts to falter at the end of games, or when Hill/Kelce maybe are out or not playing well. But the conditioning of those guys on KC like Hill is insane. It you watch him, you see that he's literally just as fast on his 30th route ran in a game as he was on the first. How does a DB ever hope to cover someone like that? It's impossible. 

Archived