Sopranos Prequel FILM "The Many Saints of Newark"

Acgott

Sources tell Variety that Alessandro Nivola is in negotiations to star as Dickey Moltisanti in “The Many Saints of Newark,” the prequel movie to the critically acclaimed and massively successful HBO TV series.

In the series, Moltisanti is the deceased uncle of Tony Soprano, played by James Gandolfini, and father of Christopher Moltisanti, played by Michael Imperioli. In the show, the character never appears, as he was murdered prior to the drama’s timeline, but is talked about as someone who, along with Soprano’s father and Uncle Junior, helped turn their small gang into the New Jersey crime family that Soprano eventually heads.

Alan Taylor is directing from a script that series creator Chase penned along with Lawrence Konner. Chase is also producing the pic.

Plot details are vague other than it being set during the Newark riots in the ’60s. More players from the “Sopranos” lore are expected to be joining Nivola’s character.

2 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Or a story that's actually worth exploring, like with Better call saul.

That’s the perfect example.  The backlash over this by some ppl cracks me up.  Do they think it's some kind of cash grab?  Heaven forbid David Chase may have an incredible story in mind for this.  How has he not earned our trust after such an exceptional series?

Edited by thrILL!
  • Like 1

This could be good. But with the politcal correctness of Season 6. I'm afraid this will get the same treatment which it shouldn't.

God season 6 was gross.

I am open to this though. But make it realistic. A group of mafia guys in the 60's would undoubetly be miles from the norms of today. Womanizing and racism would be a given. They cant be scared to show that, while also making said people empathetic. Thats what made Tony so interesting as a character.

10 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Prequels are the dumbest damn thing ever. 

I hate them so, so, so, so, so, so, so much. 

I may be forgetting one, but I can't remember a prequel that I found truly entertaining as a standalone film/tv show and not just a cash grab.

• 2 years later...

I'm very excited for this, although I really hope that was an HBO made trailer and not a David Chase made trailer, because I can't even begin to picture Chase calling Tony Soprano a 'legend'.

It looks great, but I hope Chase doesn't go against any of the important themes he firmly set with the show.