Sopranos Prequel FILM "The Many Saints of Newark"

Acgott

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Isn't Gandolfini's kid playing young Tony in this?

Looks just like his pops too. Similar facial expressions in the trailer. It’s gotta be so special for him to be a part of this and his father’s larger than life legacy. 

I really hope we don't get inundated with cringe racial material from Chase in this one, which I'm worried about as the Newark Riots are obviously involved. To what degree though... it remains to be seen. Looks like that one black character wants Dickie Moltisanti dead. My guess/theory is Dickie is possibly performing hits on select black people targeted by some corrupt figure(s) in politics/policing. Assassination for pay type scenario. Probably leaders or important figures in the community. Dickie has been referred to as a super soldier of sorts by different characters during the original series too, so it would make sense that his services would be sought after. 

Then my follow up theory would be that those involved in the work with him(Paying, Assisting, and Coordinating with him), don't want the information to ever get out and decide to have him clipped. Tony told Christopher that Lt. Barry Haydu killed his father on contract. This could tie up those loose ends, and reveal just how truthful Tony's claim is/was.

The Sopranos verse timeline is kind of janky, but Tony did reference Dickie taking a war to a New England crew and did so in a way that implied he was a full on associate of the Dimeo family at the time- not the young blood simply getting a taste of the new life level he seems to be at in this movie. There's also this Jilly Ruffalo guy whose prison beef with Dickie led to Dickie's death- according to Tony. So I don't know where those event are going to fit into this whole thing, if at all or if they've been retconned out of existence. 

The original Sopranos series introduced a ton of interesting and unforgettable characters who established themselves in the many years prior to the actual timespan covered by the show. And then you have James Gandolfini's son, who actually looks like him and is capable of playing a young Tony Soprano... There is a prequel series looming that could be like the resurrection of Christ for HBO. 

A Sopranos prequel set during the 80s featuring young(er) versions of Tony Soprano, Jackie Aprile Sr, Richie Aprile, Sil, Tony Blundetto, Paulie Walnuts, Big PXssy, Junior, Johnny boy, Ralph Cifiretto, Feech, Johnny Sack, etc etc etc?.... I mean it would a crime against humanity for it not to get made. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

A Sopranos prequel set during the 80s featuring young(er) versions of Tony Soprano, Jackie Aprile Sr, Richie Aprile, Sil, Tony Blundetto, Paulie Walnuts, Big PXssy, Junior, Johnny boy, Ralph Cifiretto, Feech, Johnny Sack, etc etc etc?.... I mean it would a crime against humanity for it not to get made. 

I found it interesting that the title card said "a Sopranos story". reminded me of the branding Disney was doing with its star wars spinoffs. Maybe HBO/Chase are planning on several projects in this world. With the battle for content with the streaming wars, I can see HBO going back to that world. Their is a lot of lore they can dig into like you mentioned.

• 2 months later...
37 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

just finished my rewatch last week and just like The Wire, each time is even better.  The last 3 seasons are esp phenomenal.

I feel like I need to rewatch Sopranos again just to remember all the ways these guys are connected and I just rewatched it last winter lol

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how it plays with someone who was unfamiliar with the show (plus the HUGE show spoilers in the first few mins) but I really enjoyed it. Some tremendous performances esp by Vera Farmigia wow give her the Best Supporting Oscar. Watching Gandolfini’s son play him was like deja vu. He captured Tony’s vulnerability and mannerisms perfectly most of which I’d imagine are innate. What a special experience this must be for him. And lastly, Dickie Moltisanti was such a force. Christopher is so much like him it’s poetic. 

• Like 1

Wow this was phenomenal. It's been over 10 years since I've watched the show so I had some issues tying together the storylines. But as far as the casting and the characters they absolutely nailed it. Not only Tony and Janice, but Junior, Silvio, P----, Paulie. 

@thrILL! I absolutely agree with you about Vera. She totally nailed Livia

Michela De Rossi is a total babe 😍

• Like 1

It was alright. Junior’s actor hit the nail on the head in hysterical fashion. Tony’s moms character was excellent. The story itself kinda left me wanting more, like essential bits and pieces that weren’t in it or could’ve been added to it in a miniseries. I hope for another prequel. I don’t get the race war concept out of nowhere that kinda stole the entire movie away. I wondered if Harold had killed dickie if that would’ve been why Tony hated meadows black college bf. I can’t quite age these characters in my head cause sopranos is like 30 years after this, making Sil like 70? 

I’m probably gonna watch it again after watching more of sopranos (on s3 and don’t remember much). 

I liked it quite a bit. I dont think they were making an unnecessary leap using race as a backdrop as this was Newark, the riots were a huge deal there and fit the storyline. 

What I dont understand is this:

Spoiler

How on earth is Harold still alive? I assume Junior used the war with the black gang as a way to kill his brother w/o raising eyebrows. Would the italians not be going for blood against the black gang after Dickys murder? How is this guy buying a fancy house at the end and appearing on the top of the world? Or did Jr. make a deal with them I suppose? But how? How do you get the italians to go along with a truce against the gang that just killed the boss. Its just nonsense. They should have had that last scene be Harold getting offed by one of the italians. It was incredibly stupid, so much so that I found it to be the main thing I associate with the movie over the great performances. Am I missing something?