The Saints post-Brees. Where do they go from there?

Championshiporbust

1 hour ago, H.E Pennypacker said:

Don't see why Brees would've signed a 2 year deal if he planned to retire after 1?

He'll definitely be back next year and maybe a year after that..If I'm New Orleans - I keep Bridgewater around and draft someone I like this offseason. Let them both learn under Brees and fight for the job in 2020.

I think he signed 2 years because not only because he thought he would play that long, though obviously he could change his mind if he wasn't playing well which he set as a benchmark for when to retire, but also because the Saints were looking to rework the cap space and needed that added year to spread money over.

It's going to suck when Brees retires, the Saints are almost guaranteed to never have another QB as good as Brees ever again, not just as a QB but also as a teammate and leader.  Seeing moments like Zach Strief's retirement speech and how he talked about Drew Brees... I can't think of another player or coach in sports period that has gotten that type of response.

On 11/25/2018 at 5:27 AM, Jlowe22 said:

It did sound this way before interviews this year.  But Brees has changed his tone on the retirement subject, and has outright said he wants to play beyond this year.

I had originally thought Bridgewater would start next year after Brees retires, but now I think the Bridgewater move was more insurance for the team if Brees zombifies at some point or gets hurt.  Bridgewater can win a playoff game with this team no doubt in my mind.  Taysom Hill cannot.

Well that is certainly a good thing for us Saints fans then if he decides to stick around. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Would love to see the saints Draft Haskins, let him learn from Brees. Haskins to Thomas was an tOSU dream, make its a saints reality!

I think Haskins has shown more than enough that an NFL team should take a chance on him this year even if they aren't required to start him immediately.  He needs to work on his fundamentals some more, something he would develop with another year of college though probably not quite as fast, but he's got everything you're looking for in a QB in regards to size, release, arm strength, accuracy, etc.

I'm thinking of John Elway's last 2 seasons with the Broncos. He had a really good defense, a good receiving corps, a great running back, and won back-to-back SuperBowls and then called it a day.

If we could see the same from Brees, then we'd all love that story book ending. Of course, then we'd probably be in the same boat Denver's been in since. Who, how, and from where? How do you replace Elway? Wait for a Manning and killer defense?

Taysom Hill's not the answer. Teddy may be, but I doubt it.

The big thing with Brees, right now, is that the entire team wants to win it all for Brees, along with winning for themselves. Skill takes a back seat to emotions like this team has for Brees, and you can see it in their current play. Everyone is achieving a higher level of play, even Brees himself.

10 hours ago, showtime said:

When is he going to retire?  He and Brady are unreal in terms of playing at a really high level at an older age.

I'd like to see them both play until they zombify, just to see how long it takes.  I think Brady might actually, not so sure about Brees though. I think Brees was pretty close to retirement, and then the team got really good.  He has said in interviews that he had more fun last year than he had in a long time, which is obvious when you're winning, but it sounded like he wasn't planning on going through too many more 7-9 seasons.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I'd like to see them both play until they zombify, just to see how long it takes.  I think Brady might actually, not so sure about Brees though. I think Brees was pretty close to retirement, and then the team got really good.  He has said in interviews that he had more fun last year than he had in a long time, which is obvious when you're winning, but it sounded like he wasn't planning on going through too many more 7-9 seasons.

The Saints are built to win for a few more seasons, even if and when Brees begins to fall off significantly. I don’t think that Brees has the physical skills he had in 2009-2011 but the guy is so frickin smart and they surrounded him with guys like Thomas, Kamara, Ingram, and now Smith who can keep this short-to-intermediate passing game elite for a very long time. 

Archived