The Saints post-Brees. Where do they go from there?

Championshiporbust

Just now, tyler735 said:

When? Last I heard he hinted his time is coming to an end as he has a couple goals he wants to try and accomplish so he can spend time with his family. One could assume those goals would include win another super bowl, and win an MVP. Both appear to be possible this year.

He said it in an interview with Reggie Bush on NFL Network. Reggie asked him that if they won the Superbowl this year would he retire. Drew said no. He has plans to play beyond this season.

3 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

He said it in an interview with Reggie Bush on NFL Network. Reggie asked him that if they won the Superbowl this year would he retire. Drew said no. He has plans to play beyond this season.

Curious to see if he holds true to that if we win it all or if he is simply not trying to distract the team with him possibly retiring. 

I hope Bridgewater. From what Im heard from Peter King, he said dont be shocked if the future is Taysom Hill. If thats the case then Saints fans better just throw up their hands and say "In Payton We Trust". I personally think that Bridgewater would be perfect for the Saints moving forward if they can convince him to stay and be the future. I wouldnt like the idea of Hill being the future. 

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I hope Bridgewater. From what Im heard from Peter King, he said dont be shocked if the future is Taysom Hill. If thats the case then Saints fans better just throw up their hands and say "In Payton We Trust". I personally think that Bridgewater would be perfect for the Saints moving forward if they can convince him to stay and be the future. I wouldnt like the idea of Hill being the future. 

Lol no way.

I love me some Taysom but nah.

11 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Curious to see if he holds true to that if we win it all or if he is simply not trying to distract the team with him possibly retiring. 

Even if the Saints win the Bowl, Brees isn't going to retire until he breaks the TD record.

4 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Even if the Saints win the Bowl, Brees isn't going to retire until he breaks the TD record.

My inner Saints selfishness hopes this is the case, but my gut is telling me he is done if he wins it this year. He seemed pretty set to spend time with his family in the interviews I saw this summer, and there is no guarantee he holds off Tom Brady for that record. I also think the Teddy Bridgewater move suggests there may have been more conversations behind closed doors to support Brees being done sooner than we think.

1 hour ago, SWATcha said:

Almost guaranteed Brees plays at least 1 more year. He still needs to break Manning's TD record.

1? No reason he won't play 2-3 barring injury. Who's coming out in 2021?

Teddy will be elsewhere. Giants, Jags, Dolphins, ect.

I feel like they kinda have to draft a new QB this off season. His contract is over in 2020 so they have an out with 0 cap space. As great as Drew Brees he's at the point in his career where the Saints need to start looking out for the next 10-15 years of the organization and not the next 1-3. You let Brees play out his contract and respectfully part ways.

Brees originally said he wanted to play til he was 45.  Then he changed his mind and said he was taking it one year at a time, but wouldn't play til 45.  He sounded like retirement was pretty close.  Then these past two years happened, and Brees has said he's not ready to retire, and has plans to play beyond this season.

8 hours ago, Malik said:

I feel like they kinda have to draft a new QB this off season. His contract is over in 2020 so they have an out with 0 cap space. As great as Drew Brees he's at the point in his career where the Saints need to start looking out for the next 10-15 years of the organization and not the next 1-3. You let Brees play out his contract and respectfully part ways.

If Brees wants to play, and it isn't 2015 Peyton bad, I seriously doubt Saints don't play him.

Well, maybe it doesn't have to get that bad, but if there is no significant drop off, I doubt they part ways if he doesn't want to.  

I don't think it's gonna get to that point though, I think he does play out his contract and retire.

Archived