The Saints post-Brees. Where do they go from there?

Championshiporbust

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

My inner Saints selfishness hopes this is the case, but my gut is telling me he is done if he wins it this year. He seemed pretty set to spend time with his family in the interviews I saw this summer, and there is no guarantee he holds off Tom Brady for that record. I also think the Teddy Bridgewater move suggests there may have been more conversations behind closed doors to support Brees being done sooner than we think.

It did sound this way before interviews this year.  But Brees has changed his tone on the retirement subject, and has outright said he wants to play beyond this year.

I had originally thought Bridgewater would start next year after Brees retires, but now I think the Bridgewater move was more insurance for the team if Brees zombifies at some point or gets hurt.  Bridgewater can win a playoff game with this team no doubt in my mind.  Taysom Hill cannot.

I think he'll play for a few more seasons yet. I also think the drop-off from Brees to Bridge would shock the franchise (I like Teddy, but...). It would be the same with any QB I guess.

I'd say the next QB to take NO forward is someone we're currently unaware of. Same story at NE.

6 minutes ago, Activated10 said:

I don't get reason everyone is saying Teddy B. Isn't he a FA this year. Why is he going to stay as a backup when he can go sign for Giants or Jags

Exactly. He’ll get a starting chance somewhere. That 3rd Round Pick I think was insurance if Brees gets injured like Week 16. Saints were very confident in their SB chances apparently.

1 hour ago, Activated10 said:

I don't get reason everyone is saying Teddy B. Isn't he a FA this year. Why is he going to stay as a backup when he can go sign for Giants or Jags

It would make more sense for him to stay in New Orleans. Brees almost done, step in behind a great OL with good weapons and Sean Payton and your value goes through the roof. Or you can go waste your career in Jacksonville or New York.

43 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

It would make more sense for him to stay in New Orleans. Brees almost done, step in behind a great OL with good weapons and Sean Payton and your value goes through the roof. Or you can go waste your career in Jacksonville or New York.

If he knows for sure next year is Brees last, it'd make sense.  If he has a great year next year, he might not retire.

2 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

So after 4 years in the NFL, making it back from serious injury , you want him to take the Garapolo approach? Sit for another 2+ years most likely bidding his time? Hoping?

Sorry makes no sense to me unless he's told by Brees personally, I'm playing one more season. Otherwise you move on and make a name for yourself as a Starter. Making Starter type 💰.

Plenty of teams potentially need QB's.

NYG, Jags, Dolphins, TB, 

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

It makes no sense for him to stay in New Orleans. They can't pay him as much, and he wont' start. He's years away from playing meaninful snaps in an NFL game, hasn't started in several years now and you're asking him to put that on hold even longer for what is likely to be less money? 

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

It makes no sense for him to stay in New Orleans. They can't pay him as much, and he wont' start. He's years away from playing meaninful snaps in an NFL game, hasn't started in several years now and you're asking him to put that on hold even longer for what is likely to be less money? 

The way I look at it. Do you want money right away and risk getting absolutely wrecked in some poorly run organization? Or do you want to wait and have a 10 year run with a proven organization? 

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

The way I look at it. Do you want money right away and risk getting absolutely wrecked in some poorly run organization? Or do you want to wait and have a 10 year run with a proven organization? 

Yeah, but given the money right away is pretty much guaranteed (unless I'm way overestimating his market share, and I don't think that I am, he should see 15-20 million guaranteed on whatever contract he signs based on similar deals to Mike Glennon, Case Keenum, etc) and what you are proposing is not, hard for those two things to really even out. It's a lot to ask of a guy to pass up that kind of money and chance to prove his worth over an unsecured promise with no guaranteed date. 

I suppose it would depend on his suitors too. I don't think that all of the teams vying for his services will be complete dumpster fires. Despite the Jags' struggles this year, that team still has a good roster. Bortles has clearly bottomed out and the coaching staff doesn't trust him, but if that is the major issue which can be resolved, then that's a really cushy landing spot for him to be honest. Depending on what happens in Washington with Smith's injury, that's another place that would be a soft spot to land. So I really do suppose it depends on who comes calling. 

Archived