Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
vike daddy

Are we at the end of the Rhodes...?

Recommended Posts

I bet the Raiders could be persuaded to part with Osemele given the direction that they seem to be going in. His contract runs the same length as Cousins' and doesn't carry any dead money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I bet the Raiders could be persuaded to part with Osemele given the direction that they seem to be going in. His contract runs the same length as Cousins' and doesn't carry any dead money.

He also had a career worst year. Granted, he wasn't surrounded by a ton of other talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

He also had a career worst year. Granted, he wasn't surrounded by a ton of other talent.

He won't be surrounded by a lot of OL talent in MN either. Reiff is mediocre and Elflein is terrible. At least last year's version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vikestyle said:

Who are some guards out there we could trade for? Usually, a player isn't gonna get traded unless they are old and no longer playing up to their contract, young and the team doesn't want to pay them, or the team has a surplus at the position. Are there any good candidates out there that you can think of?

I am not thinking that this is a likely option.  It's a rarely used option for a reason.  But, it's an option nonetheless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Imagine a situation we tag and trade Barr + Rhodes to the Raiders for Osemele + 2 1st.

 

im game

I'd settle for Osemele and 1.4! :D

In all seriousness I think I'd prefer to keep Rhodes heading into 2019. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd prefer to keep all the CBs and trade Barr, but as another poster alluded too, tag and trades are rare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd prefer to keep all the CBs and trade Barr, but as another poster alluded too, tag and trades are rare. 

Tag and trade is pretty risky too. If the trade fell through the team would be left holding Barr at his ~$15M cap hit for the year. That is an unacceptable number for Barr IMO.

Even if the trade didn't fall through the team would have to have that much space clear on their cap until the trade is complete. Where is that going to come from? At the expense of being able to sign Roger Saffold or Ramon Foster when the best options are signed early in free agency? No thanks.

If Barr wants to sign a reasonable deal before free agency, that is great. Or if Barr wants to explore free agency and than come back to the Vikings at a reasonable price after not getting what he wants out there, that is great. If Barr finds someone to pay him $15M per year, I am happy for Barr. Good for him. The Vikings shouldn't be looking to pay him that kind of money though.

If the choice is going into the draft with Idisora and Barr as starting OG and OLB versus going into the draft with Saffold and Wilson as the starting OG and OLB it is really a pretty easy decision for me. Barr would be getting his money somewhere else. It isn't that I don't like Barr as a player. It is just the reality of the cap, personal team building philosophy, and the numbers game.

How Rhodes factors into this? Probably not at all IMO. Adding him to the equation would be entirely dependent on getting a great trade offer for him. If they can get a great trade offer I would entertain the thought of Barr and a top free agent guard with Waynes, Hughes, Alexander, and Hill as the top four CBs. That would be fine but dependent on getting great value in the Rhodes trade. If the team can get an elite guard in a trade that would be great. If the team could get a first round pick and the cap savings to sign a guard while keeping Barr I would think about it. Though I still would rather have Rhodes than Barr on defense. Much rather save cap space at LB than CB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Tag and trade is pretty risky too. If the trade fell through the team would be left holding Barr at his ~$15M cap hit for the year. That is an unacceptable number for Barr IMO.

But at the same time, I doubt that Barr would be thrilled to sign the tag and which may give the Vikings time to see if a trade materializes with a team that could sign him to the deal he is looking for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we need to try and trade Rhodes for a first in 2021.  Start the tank on offense, aquire 3+ 1st rounders in 2021 and draft Lawrence.  Lets do this right.  Trade Rhodes, play next season out with Hughes and Waynes, if we succeed then bonus, if its a failure or step back, we need drastic change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say we keep Rhodes. The man was THE MAN for two years straight before this year. He may of had some injuries that he needed time to heal from, he did not look as fast as normal and he kept getting hamstring injuries. Give him some time this offseason to heal, I think he will be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, byuvike88 said:

But at the same time, I doubt that Barr would be thrilled to sign the tag and which may give the Vikings time to see if a trade materializes with a team that could sign him to the deal he is looking for. 

The Vikings would still need that amount available on their cap. Franchise players cannot be traded until after they are signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

I think we need to try and trade Rhodes for a first in 2021.  Start the tank on offense, aquire 3+ 1st rounders in 2021 and draft Lawrence.  Lets do this right.  Trade Rhodes, play next season out with Hughes and Waynes, if we succeed then bonus, if its a failure or step back, we need drastic change.

Ummm, no.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×