GDT: Saints (10-1) @ Cowboys (6-5)

Canadian Saint

I still say the Refs played a big part of the loss, but the Saints were still in it even with the bad officiating and blew it so props to Dallas.  Hopefully we use this game like we did the Tampa game to bring us back down to earth and focusing on the fact that we aren't immortal to win the next 8 games.

From what I caught of the game tonight, I mostly blame our receivers. So many dropped passes... also refs were horrible but it is hard to blame them when they usually are. We all knew it would be hard to go 15-1 and this just happened to be the game where we showed up sloppy. Like y'all have mentioned before though, I think this game is a wake up call and with 4 games remaining, I expect us to really focus in and get what needs to be done done for the the rest of the season.

Trying to find a bright spot, let's look at this.  We've heard all week how our rush defense wasn't actually any good, that it's only because we were out to a big lead early etc.  But we held Zeke to 76 yards on 3.3 ypc and the entire Cowboys offense to 100 yards rushing and 3.23 ypc.  That's pretty elite level of rush defense if I do say so.

Our receivers were pathetic, then Brees followed suit. That pick he threw was reminiscent of a frightened rookie, not an HOF QB.

I realize everyone has a crap game, but man, this game was cumulative crap by the entire offense.

Defense played really well.

As an aside, this Dallas team is the exact type of team I like to run franchises with back when I had enough patience to stomach all the frustration that comes with playing Madden. Above average team (but not godly by any means) with a really good defense and interesting pieces on offense (Dak and Zeke, specifically) where I can pound the rock and pass efficiently, drawing imaginary praise from Gruden, Phill Simms, and just about every color commentator really for my "hard nosed" and "old school" offense. Both Texas teams actually, except something tells me that even when Lamar Miller runs a Texans chise his first order of business is to bench himself

41 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

Our receivers were pathetic, then Brees followed suit. That pick he threw was reminiscent of a frightened rookie, not an HOF QB.

I realize everyone has a crap game, but man, this game was cumulative crap by the entire offense.

Defense played really well.

Agreed. The pressure was getting there so fast, Brees just shut down after the first quarter. No QB in the league could handle the pressure he was under, but his accuracy sucked even when he had time.

We did have some drops, but many of those came on throws coming too hard, poorly timed or just downright inaccurate.

Brees throwing to the flat last night looked TERRIBLE. They weren’t on the same page at all, Brees underthrew that route 4 times last night, once resulting in the game ending pick and once a near pick on the first drive that looked eerily like his last play.

Brees nearly got Thomas killed a couple times, making him jump up for balls that should’ve came at his body. Kirkwood’s TD was under thrown and that’s what KK had to commit the OPI that wasn’t called. A couple passes over the middle on hitches/curls were poorly placed too, one of Kamaras drops was a heater to his left side, while he was turning the opposite way. That’s a tough catch. 

Brees knew the defense was flying and was pushing the ball harder than normal and his accuracy took a hit because of it, it also messed with our timing and rhythm and just flat out makes the ball harder to catch. We’re very lucky more of those tipped passes didn’t turn into picks as well.

If we start playing like this again we need to change things up. We needed to commit to the run sooner, as well as our RPO and shorter horizontal passes. Playcalling was lackluster last night and we didn’t really change it up, we just kept taking the same shots.

24 minutes ago, Dome said:

We did have some drops, but many of those came on throws coming too hard, poorly timed or just downright inaccurate.

Brees throwing to the flat last night looked TERRIBLE. They weren’t on the same page at all, Brees underthrew that route 4 times last night, once resulting in the game ending pick and once a near pick on the first drive that looked eerily like his last play.

Brees nearly got Thomas killed a couple times, making him jump up for balls that should’ve came at his body. Kirkwood’s TD was under thrown and that’s what KK had to commit the OPI that wasn’t called. A couple passes over the middle on hitches/curls were poorly placed too, one of Kamaras drops was a heater to his left side, while he was turning the opposite way. That’s a tough catch. 

Brees knew the defense was flying and was pushing the ball harder than normal and his accuracy took a hit because of it, it also messed with our timing and rhythm and just flat out makes the ball harder to catch. We’re very lucky more of those tipped passes didn’t turn into picks as well.

If we start playing like this again we need to change things up. We needed to commit to the run sooner, as well as our RPO and shorter horizontal passes. Playcalling was lackluster last night and we didn’t really change it up, we just kept taking the same shots.

An all accurate statement.

One minor argument, the pass to TreQuan Smith was money, and should have either been a TD, or down inside the 2. That one play alone was a game changer. That pass was right at his eyes, the right speed/touch, and he didn't look it in. A straight up drop. But that's a rookie, so I'll not harp on him too bad.

We were overdue for a letdown performance from the offense. On the bright side we are still 10-2, and I think we likely win at least 3 of our next 4. I'm guessing this team got the reality check the needed after a 10 game win streak.

Just to put things in perspective with the last 9 Super Bowl winning teams:

Eagles (13-3 record)

Patriots (14-2 record)

Broncos (12-4 record)

Patriots (12-4 record)

Seahawks (13-3 record)

Ravens (10-6 record)

Giants (9-7 record)

Packers (10-6 record)

Saints (13-3 record)

These performances have happened to every team to win the Super Bowl the past 9 years, including our team when we last won it. I still like our odds, and will be hoping for a Rams loss, as home field advantage would certainly be nice.

The offense played about as bad as they could, and they still could have won. This doesn't mean much. There's still a lot to be proud of. Our defense was great, despite Marshon Grabbimore and Eli Grapple. Our offense had their chances. We beat ourselves as much as the Cowboys did.

That was an incredible game to be at. Saints fanbase showed up. As much as I joked, I really like Drew Brees.. He is one of us (Austinite). So I went into the game thinking we would lose, but I will get to see one of my fav non Cowboys (Plus Dez's new team). Obviously I am ecstatic about the win. And I love defensive football, so that was a plus. 

I hope to god we dont have to play you again this year. I dont want a revenge game in the Superdome. Id much rather take my chances in LA.

We shouldn't have started the game out with three straight passes.  That was just Payton being cocky.  

And we should have kicked the field goal.  Against great defenses, I am of the opinion you should take the points, unless it would be a long field goal and a short conversion.  Even then I'd think about it.

2 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

We shouldn't have started the game out with three straight passes.  That was just Payton being cocky.  

And we should have kicked the field goal.  Against great defenses, I am of the opinion you should take the points, unless it would be a long field goal and a short conversion.  Even then I'd think about it.

I love the call of going for it on 4th. I hated the play call. That was an option handoff, Lawrence came right through because anyone in their right mind knew Brees wasn't going to keep on an option. Horrible call. Better play call if Hill is under center, as then you have two legit running options.

Archived