Andy Reid vs Sean Payton

Activated10

Better OC  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Better offensive coach

• Andy Reid
    • Sean Payton

Went with Sean Payton.  Andy Reid has done well over his career, but this KC offense feels like it's just a super charged Philly offense due to the weapons that are available for it.  With the Saints they've always adjusted their offense to take advantage of what they have available finding ways to pick apart defenses.  Granted having Drew Brees helps in that, but so does all the weapons that Mahomes has.

TBH

Reid’s offenses haven’t typically been that good in his head coaching career and most of his best teams were defense first. That’s also where most of the talent (on his defenses) have been in his career.

Payton basically always has great offense, but that is where his teams talent is.

Reid is a better coach (SB or not), Payton might be better on offense, but Payton generally has more to work with. Now that Reid seemingly has a QB and elite weapons on offense, his offense is elite. But who knows, maybe this will go the same way as 2010 Vick.

I don’t really have an opinion.

25 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

TBH

Reid’s offenses haven’t typically been that good in his head coaching career and most of his best teams were defense first. That’s also where most of the talent (on his defenses) have been in his career.

Payton basically always has great offense, but that is where his teams talent is.

Reid is a better coach (SB or not), Payton might be better on offense, but Payton generally has more to work with. Now that Reid seemingly has a QB and elite weapons on offense, his offense is elite. But who knows, maybe this will go the same way as 2010 Vick.

I don’t really have an opinion.

Payton has only ever consistently had Brees and then was able to find solid players that between the offense and Brees they turned into elite players.  There's a reason that outside of the OL the offensive players for Saints that leave seem to have a massive drop off in play.  Granted I think Michael Thomas, Alvin Kamara, and Mark Ingram would still be able to perform on other teams.

I feel like Payton's offenses has been more consistent over the years. I think Sean's had an offense in the top 5 all but 1 year and that year it was number 6. Reid has never had QB like Brees but I don't think Payton can be faulted for consistency either. As seen in Greenbay, a HOF QB does not mean you have a great offense all the time. You have to have the right system to make it work. 

Seans system has made lower level guys serviceable. The offense have thrived with guys like late round picks, UDFA's and cast offs Pierre Thomas, Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Willie Snead...etc being a major part of it.

But my point of view is biased and I don't follow Reids career as much so he may do alot of those same things.    

11 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Andy Reid has had winning seasons with multiple QBs and with two different teams/divisions/conferences. There is no doubt that Reid elevated the play of his QBs, where it isn't as clear with Payton.

This is where I'm at. Not a knock against Payton in anyway, but we've seen Reid consistently have talented offenses over a longer period of time with like half of dozen QBs of varying skill sets. 

Could argue it either way, I think. The decision basically comes down to the fact that Payton has averaged better offensive numbers, through his career. Reid's average offense was about 10th in scoring, Payton's was about 5th. Obviously more impressive statistically for Payton. But Payton has had one very important asset Reid hasn't, and that's a stable QB throughout his career. Reid's had a lot of good QBs, but he's been through quite a few of them, and none of them were on the level of Brees.

I think this debate will become drastically easier once Brees retires. If Payton is still coaching top tier offenses, that kind of removes any doubts there. If he falters, that makes what Reid has done over the years with a rotating cast of QBs more impressive. As is, I could see it argued either way, justly.

What are they best known for?

A 5 minute clock killing drive in the Super Bowl where Belichick said to his coaches on the other sideline "What the hell are they doing?"

vs

A completely ballsy onside kick to start the 2nd half and change the dynamic of the Super Bowl

Edge - Payton

FYI, They are both great coaches.

I don't know if the onside kick "completely changed the dynamic" of the game. True, the Saints were down 10-6 at the half, but they ended the half by getting two defensive stops in a row and then kicked a FG as time ran out. They had all the momentum on their side.

I don't think Payton even tries the onsides kick unless they were at a point where the game seemed to be turning their way. One of the things about him that makes him different from most other coaches is he treats momentum like a tangible thing and will make decisions based on it. It's kinda high-risk, high-reward but it's at least never boring.

Archived