What do you think of Kyle Shanahan so far?

patriotsheatyan

10 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think he's a better HC than Sean McVay. He just has had bad luck with injuries. Once Jimmy G comes back the NFC West is going to be the most fun division to watch.

Not sure how one can say he is better than Sean McVay. I mean he may one day prove that to be the case, but certainly there has been nothing to indicate that. McVay is working with a lot more talent, but he's hardly had any missteps. 

When SF gets more talent then we will be able to properly evaluate Shanahan. His constant RZ woes is worrisome though, needs to fix that this offseason. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The Niners weren't exactly setting the world on fire with Jimmy G at QB, either.

5-0 after a midseason trade? His start this season wasn't as spectacular, but 3 games is small sample. With Jimmy G, I think the 49ers get 4-5 (LAC, ARIx2, GB, NYG, TB) more wins.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not sure how one can say he is better than Sean McVay. I mean he may one day prove that to be the case, but certainly there has been nothing to indicate that. McVay is working with a lot more talent, but he's hardly had any missteps. 

When SF gets more talent then we will be able to properly evaluate Shanahan. His constant RZ woes is worrisome though, needs to fix that this offseason. 

I think McVay is a great HC and I definitely can't provide any objective reasoning to say KS >McVay, but I think KS is going to shine once he gets his QB for a whole season.

3 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think he's a better HC than Sean McVay. He just has had bad luck with injuries. Once Jimmy G comes back the NFC West is going to be the most fun division to watch.

That's a mighty tall mountain to climb. He didn't inherit a significantly worse team. I think Kyle Shanahan is a good coach, but I don't think he has the respect around the NFL that McVay does or McVay's humility.

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's a mighty tall mountain to climb. He didn't inherit a significantly worse team. I think Kyle Shanahan is a good coach, but I don't think he has the respect around the NFL that McVay does or McVay's humility.

Yes he did. Rams have Donald and Gurley and those two are  significantly better than any of the talent the 49ers have. Not to mention that McVay has had a healthy QB for two straight seasons. Kyle got his QB mid season last year and this year the dude got injured game 3.

31 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Yes he did. Rams have Donald and Gurley and those two are  significantly better than any of the talent the 49ers have. Not to mention that McVay has had a healthy QB for two straight seasons. Kyle got his QB mid season last year and this year the dude got injured game 3.

Goff and Gurley weren't being hyped up as elite pieces when McVay joined. Here's what each guy inherited:

McVay - LAR

QB: Jared Goff

HB: Todd Gurley

WR: Kenny Britt

WR: Brian Quick

WR: Tavon Austin

TE: Lance Kendricks

LT: Greg Robinson

LG: Rodger Saffold

C: Tim Barnes

RG: Cody Wichmann

RT: Rob Havenstein

No First Round Pick (traded for Goff)

Shanahan - SF

QB: Colin Kaepernick

HB: Carlos Hyde

WR: Jeremy Kerley

WR: Quinton Patton

WR: Torrey Smith

TE: Vance McDonald

LT: Joe Staley

LG: Zane Beadles

C: Daniel Kilgore

RG: Joshua Garnett

RT: Trent Brown

#3 overall pick

We now know that Goff and Gurley are superstars, but both were coming off terrible seasons when McVay took over. His coaching and scheme have at least partially helped them become the players they are today. Further, Kromer's coaching helped Jamon Brown, Rob Havenstein, and Rodger Saffold all play quality or better football after struggling in 2016.

Meanwhile, Carlos Hyde was coming off a pretty good season. The 49ers had the ability to draft either Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes at #3. They had a TE in Vance McDonald who has emerged as a good TE this year. They had book-end OTs.

Say what you will but McVay elevated the useful talent on the Rams and drafted/signed/traded for a lot of offensive talent in a short period of time. We signed Robert Woods to a reasonable contract, we traded for Sammy and Cooks, we drafted Kupp, Reynolds, and Everett, we plucked Blythe off waivers, we spent a bunch of money on Whitworth, we signed Sullivan for nothing, and we cut loose a lot of deadweight.

Yes, Jimmy being out is a big part of your problems, but you guys started 1-2 even with Jimmy. Plus, you could have Mahomes or Watson right now and chose otherwise. Shanahan walked into a situation where he could choose his QB. We'll see if Jimmy was the right choice. But part of your lack of talent when compared to the Rams is that y'all have made worse choices than us. And frankly, Shanahan hasn't done as good of a job maximizing the talent he had originally.

Archived