I like the Bears v Rams....

ibt734

I do think we have a puncher's chance if a lot of things break our way. We HAVE to stop their run, everything is predicated off that and my God do they love throwing ******* corner routes (based on the limited "film" I watched of them). You shut that part of them down and get a lead on them, I do think we can have our pass rushers tee off on them. Also, Fuller and Amukamara have to ball out, and Eddie Jackson is going to have to make Goff pay for any errant throws that he commits.

Can Roquan shut down Gurley in the passing game? So many questions and at minimum the chess match I hope is going to be fun.

Offensively... draw a huge red circle around Aaron Donald. Move the pocket, quick hitters, screens, slants, get the ball out fast. We HAVE to find a ******* way to get the run game going. Donald punctures the pocket so quickly that if you can off-set that with a missed tackle you can gash them in the run game. Will Nagy stick to it, though?

The Rams have some quality corners so we are going to have to win our matchups... is this the game where we see more Trey Burton and Adam Shaheen? I wouldn't hate coming out in 12 personnel to establish the run and then build off the play action game (haven't seen that yet this year).

Should be a blast, I hope.

7 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

It seems like the Bears D can be killed with the short quick passes.  How are the Rams at that? I mostly think of them as lots of scheming receivers open for big yards, but admittedly don't watch them much. 

Long developing routes nothing short but a rare screen here and there

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

All jokes are violence and rape. 

Oh no. Feminism got to you too? Nnnnnnoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, El ramster said:

That’s not how a joke works homey. 

Thats a buzz kill. 

You'll fit in fine here. lol

As for there being only a handful of chill Bears fans, this subforum is made up of like 10 of us, so that we can't even argue with if we wanted to.

CW wisdom says stop the run first.  Then you can rush passer. Don't give up big play.

I think that is true to an extent.  But as D coordinator you should also factor in psychology of OC.  

McVay wants to pass the ball.  Nagy too.  I guarantee that 90% or more of practice time is spent on passing concepts and reads.  He wants to pass even when run game is working or is right call.  Even when team has terrible run defense. 

He wants to run and run effectively primarily just so he can run play action, which is part of most of his pass concepts.  

I say when you are playing these types of OCs you stop the pass first and stop the run on the way to passer.  You aggressively attack the passer on every down against every formation, but you still submarine on goalline or 4th and 1. 

These guys are going to score and have big plays at times while you are being aggressive. You have to accept that.  One missed tackle means a 50 yard play.  Key to winning agaisnt these high flying offenses is turnovers, hitting the QB and 3 and outs giving you the extra possessions to score yourself.  NOT simply playing run on first and second and mixing prevent or blitzing on 3rd.  OCs know that game and aren't playing by those rules anymore. Even when you get your 3rd and long and go into standard prevent or blitz mode you are giving up first down on screens.  Maddening, play the sticks and the screen. Send an extra player off one edge overloaded (they arent going to run draw and if they do who cares collapse on it) and have interior down linemen not aggressively rush instead reading the block for screen so they can slide down onto RB in flat if need be.  Everyone else in zone at sticks. Not everytime, but first time. Stuff that screen on 3rd and long and they won't go back to it.  Psychology.  

Study and know their concepts and reads as well as they do.   Pressure them and know the hot reads and safety valves and then you can preemptively break on ball for a turnover or make tackle on spot. Go disguised cover 0 as much or more than prevent. Be the cat and not the mouse.  

Another thing that drive me nuts - when in zone get in phase with nearest eligible receiver so you can make a play! Standing around in an area with no one within 6 yards of you is worthless! You are covering grass. 

Unless of course your name is Ogletree and Daniel is throwing then just stand there and he will throw it to you.

11 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Study and know their concepts and reads as well as they do.   Pressure them and know the hot reads and safety valves and then you can preemptively break on ball for a turnover or make tackle on spot. Go disguised cover 0 as much or more than prevent. Be the cat and not the mouse.  

That's just not possible with this offense. That's what makes it so difficult to defend. You can't assume you know what's coming next. Here's Dan Orlovsky explaining one of our biggest plays of the year:

Vikings thought they knew what was coming, and McVay used it against them. He's a guy who can use a ton of different concepts out of a single formation and make it all look the same. When you start thinking you have it figured out, he hits you with a play that baits you into believing you know what's coming but is actually something totally unexpected.

11 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's just not possible with this offense. That's what makes it so difficult to defend. You can't assume you know what's coming next. Here's Dan Orlovsky explaining one of our biggest plays of the year:

Vikings thought they knew what was coming, and McVay used it against them. He's a guy who can use a ton of different concepts out of a single formation and make it all look the same. When you start thinking you have it figured out, he hits you with a play that baits you into believing you know what's coming but is actually something totally unexpected.

That sounds like an Eddie Jackson nightmare. 

45 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

That sounds like an Eddie Jackson nightmare. 

They will have their nightmares as well.

Wade loves to play single high safety, which has been on of the defenses the Bears have been very successful against. The Rams play a lot of man to man, which means that a LB will have to cover Cohen or Burton, which is a win for us.

1 hour ago, Damikeeeee said:

You need a hug?

No, I need everyone to shut the **** up about the Rams being the apparent second coming of the 2007 Patriots.

Rather than appreciating Eddie Jackson, we're assuming he's going to be horrible on Sunday CUZ MCVAY AND GOFF AND GURLEY R DECEPTIVE!!!!1

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Edit: maybe Jackson won’t even have a chance

RT @danwiederer: Eddie Jackson has been designated as questionable for Sunday night with a shin issue.

Oh snap who's going to play FS if Eddie can't go?  Bush is doubtful.  That leave DeAndre Houston Carson. O.o

Archived