16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

53 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Thanks for validating what I said, which was, Rodgers told Belichick "You're the best".  I said nothing more or less.  I wonder if Rodgers ever uttered those exact words to Mac?  Curious.

To be fair, I’ve said the same thing to friends who picked me up taco bell on the way over on several occasions. 

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I actually understood the concept of green19s post. I am not giving AR a pass for the drop in his on the field performance - based on some "cerebral" disconnect with MM.

Nor am I. Rodgers is a major reason why this team is where it’s at today. His hands aren’t clean. He is part of the Rodgers and McCarthy relationship, 50%.

Im stating the Packers this offseason picked who they would back, Rodgers... when they gave him all that money. Which most fans would too.

Im saying now we as a franchise are in a tough spot. Because we have given him a ton of leverage. So you either fight it and let’s make this really messy or you lean into the curve and understand what Rodgers wants and needs.

And move forward as a collective.

That why I’m saying that path of least resistance... is a guy like McVay, McDaniels, Kyle S, etc. We (the collective packer nation) put everything on him... we then need to give him want he wants. So he is focus on playing and not undermining his coaches.

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Who are the best defensive head coaches out there (other than Cowher)?

Gym shorts? @Norm

Another name I haven't heard before: Joe Woods out in Denver. Good DB play seems to follow him everywhere he goes.

Kris Richard for Dallas has really helped turn their defense around. Young at 39. Coached in Seattle before then. I believe his background is DB’s. Apparently he’s highly regarded as a future Head Coach.

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

Nor am I. Rodgers is a major reason why this team is where it’s at today. His hands aren’t clean. He is part of the Rodgers and McCarthy relationship, 50%.

Im stating the Packers this offseason picked who they would back, Rodgers... when they gave him all that money. Which most fans would too.

Im saying now we as a franchise are in a tough spot. Because we have given him a ton of leverage. So you either fight it and let’s make this really messy or you lean into the curve and understand what Rodgers wants and needs.

And move forward as a collective.

That why I’m saying that path of least resistance... is a guy like McVay, McDaniels, Kyle S, etc. We (the collective packer nation) put everything on him... we then need to give him want he wants. So he is focus on playing and not undermining his coaches.

A good take.

Sucks that Bruce Arians has stated he is only interested in the CLE HC position.  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/04/bruce-arians-not-interested-in-packers-job/

Arians tells Zach Gelb of CBS Sports Radio that the former Cardinals coach has no interest in replacing Mike McCarthy as head coach of the Packers.

No, not at all,” Arians says in an interview that will air later tonight. “If I ever return to coaching it will only be in Cleveland.”

Wondering if he views the GB roster as trending down vs CLE potentially trending upward?

Is coaching Rodgers too much of a task?

Is there too much pressure to win with GB or else it is a failure vs CLE where the bar may be a bit lower.....like making the playoffs, or just having a winning record?

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sucks that Bruce Arians has stated he is only interested in the CLE HC position.  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/04/bruce-arians-not-interested-in-packers-job/

Wondering if he views the GB roster as trending down vs CLE potentially trending upward?

Is coaching Rodgers too much of a task?

Is there too much pressure to win with GB or else it is a failure vs CLE where the bar may be a bit lower.....like making the playoffs, or just having a winning record?

Yeah .. this sucks.  I'm not sure why he wouldn't have interest in the Packers job .. kind of mystifying.  There have been several polls of late and people seem to think the Browns job is better than the Packers job.  

2 hours ago, Lieker said:

Kris Richard for Dallas has really helped turn their defense around. Young at 39. Coached in Seattle before then. I believe his background is DB’s. Apparently he’s highly regarded as a future Head Coach.

yep, him too. I actually had him in a few mocks to replace Capers at DC back in the day (while he was still in Seattle)

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. this sucks.  I'm not sure why he wouldn't have interest in the Packers job .. kind of mystifying.  There have been several polls of late and people seem to think the Browns job is better than the Packers job.  

Some coaches will see the CLE job as a blank slate, crappy history and winning there will be viewed as a much better "legacy accomplishment" vs winning in GB.  

Maybe the prospect of a 35 year old 'diva" QB making $30M over the next 5 years is less attractive than a rookie QB that has shown some flash, but is far from ready to lead a deep playoff run. 

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Is it? Coming to GB you need to have Rodgers buy off. He has a ton of power here.

Cleveland ... Arians tell Baker what to do and how to do it. Here he needs to convince Rodgers why they are doing it. Easier to install a system there... then here.

You need to want that challenge. Arians is smart... he is too old for that. He likely has heard stories about Rodgers and is like no thank you. That’s a younger man’s game.

4 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Is it? Coming to GB you need to have Rodgers buy off. He has a ton of power here.

Cleveland ... Arians tell Baker what to do and how to do it. Here he needs to convince Rodgers why they are doing it. Easier to install a system there... then here.

You need to want that challenge. Arians is smart... he is too old for that. He likely has heard stories about Rodgers and is like no thank you. That’s a younger man’s game.

It seems a lotof folks are declaring Rodgers is this diva who will be a major pain to coach.   Is there tangible proof of this out there?

46 minutes ago, Pugger said:

It seems a lotof folks are declaring Rodgers is this diva who will be a major pain to coach.   Is there tangible proof of this out there?

Changing plays regularly on McCarthy not allowing him to get into rhythm as a play caller?

** Also better question: does Rodgers strike anyone as someone that would be easy to work with? He is Kobe... he demands excellent ALL THE TIME. Not a bad thing... but some aren’t wired that way.

15 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Some interesting parallels between this go round and when Sherman was fired.  Both situations occurred at the threshold of the final years of our two HOF QB’s careers, and in both cases, it wasn’t like every coach on the planet was clambering to come to GB (though, I think it’s still too early to tell this go round).

Archived