16th Coach of the GB Packers (let the search begin)

squire12

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I forgot about Brett

When I said there's nobody Rodgers would hate working with more than McDaniels.

Hey if that’s the cost of doing business...

I just want a game to happen where Favre benches Rodgers and throws a helmet on to lead the offense himself.

If you go the defensive HC route, is Fangio a guy being overlooked? Perhaps a defensive HC isn’t a high possibility but difficult to find a better DC resume. Also steal the guy from Chicago responsible for much of their success this season. Rumor was GB was high on him this offseason before Pettine but hard to know if that was just MM.

At this point, early in the head coaching hunt, I'm not that enthused by any of the potential candidates. I'm sure i'll warm up to one or two over time, but at the moment, it's all a tub of icewater. i want a guy I can really get enthusiastic about, like I did when Pettine took over the defense (I still think he was a steal).

12 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

If you go the defensive HC route, is Fangio a guy being overlooked? Perhaps a defensive HC isn’t a high possibility but difficult to find a better DC resume. Also steal the guy from Chicago responsible for much of their success this season. Rumor was GB was high on him this offseason before Pettine but hard to know if that was just MM.

Fangio wasn't interested in coming to Green Bay, that is what I had heard on WSCR out of Chicago.  True, they said Green Bay was talking to him, but again, he didn't want to come north.  I do agree with your point, would hurt the Bears.

How about this, Dave Toub HC/ST, Zak Taylor OC, Alex Van Pelt QB/PGC, Hue Jackson WRC, Ben Sirmans RBC, Brian Angelichio TE, Joe Philbin OL/Asst.HC and James Campen OL/RGC?

Defensive staff stays in place and Toub hires someone to help with STs and replaces Moss with either Kevin Greene, Jim Haslett or Mike Caldwell as the OLB coach.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

Fangio wasn't interested in coming to Green Bay, that is what I had heard on WSCR out of Chicago.  True, they said Green Bay was talking to him, but again, he didn't want to come north.  I do agree with your point, would hurt the Bears.

Maybe for a lateral position change to DC. This wouid be a HC gig.

16 hours ago, Green19 said:

All that matters is whoever is the HC... they bring Brett Favre in as their QB coach.

He is interested in coaching in GB and this needs to happen. Even if it means he is the highest paid positional coach in the league haha.

I just want Rodgers to have to end his career with Favre with him in some form.

Where have you heard Brett is interested in coaching in GB?

"Packers president Mark Murphy has decided against using a search firm to assist with the hire, choosing instead to put the entire process in the hands of the top executives inside Lambeau Field, such as Murphy, GM Brian Gutekunst and vice president Russ Ball"

Here's an SI article on ST coach Dave Toub, somebody mentioned him as a candidate for the Packers

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/05/dave-toub-kansas-city-chiefs-2018-nfl-coaching-carousel

Here’s a handful of coaches who have started out on special teams:
Marv Levy, Bill Cowher, Bill Belichick, John Harbaugh, **** Vermeil and Mike Ditka. All of them have reached or won the Super Bowl.

“I personally feel that this is the year that, not only is he a good candidate but he actually gets it this year,” Gabriel said. “He’s been through the interview process in the past. When you look at his resume, he’s been the top special teams coordinator in the league for like forever. He’s held coordinator positions longer than any of these other candidates have been coordinators. He’s from the Andy Reid tree, and the history of those guys having success as coaches is tremendous.

“Talk to anyone he’s ever worked with or coached and they’ll say the same thing. This guy deserves to be a head coach.”

38 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"Packers president Mark Murphy has decided against using a search firm to assist with the hire, choosing instead to put the entire process in the hands of the top executives inside Lambeau Field, such as Murphy, GM Brian Gutekunst and vice president Russ Ball"

Stupid. Absolutely no harm in using a search firm. Just to do background checks it's worth the investment.

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Stupid. Absolutely no harm in using a search firm. Just to do background checks it's worth the investment.

I couldn't agree more!  When I read this, my head literally fell into the palm of my hand.  You find the very best head coach talent evaluation firm that can create a sophisticated matrix of every living coach that has the redeeming qualities you seek.  This data can be further distilled through other vetting processes and a strong, short list can be generated for the folks at 1265 to evaluate. 

Murphy and Gute may have experience in player recruitment, and Murphy some experience at the college level in coaching recruitment, but to proclaim themselves fit to run a comprehensive head coach recruitment process concerns me greatly.

Perhaps they have their guy identified and thus no reason to make that significant investment
The Packers also have an entire HR department and a fully staffed Security department to handle background checks. 
They also have a 6 member Executive committee and 42 members on the Board of Directors, all with ties to major corporations like Kohler.

Perhaps they want to keep this in-house. Lots of reasons to go away from the search firms - many of whom have different goals than the Packers do.

2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

I couldn't agree more!  When I read this, my head literally fell into the palm of my hand.  You find the very best head coach talent evaluation firm that can create a sophisticated matrix of every living coach that has the redeeming qualities you seek.  This data can be further distilled through other vetting processes and a strong, short list can be generated for the folks at 1265 to evaluate. 

Murphy and Gute may have experience in player recruitment, and Murphy some experience at the college level in coaching recruitment, but to proclaim themselves fit to run a comprehensive head coach recruitment process concerns me greatly.

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I think I read somewhere that they would be using Jed Hughes in some capacity ... perhaps he's doing some work for them outside of Korn Ferry?  Perhaps not?  I'd agree that it would be wise to get some input from the headhunters.

40 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pardon my ignorance here but genuinely I don't understand why would they hire a firm to really do the job they are meant to do? It's not like recruitment for top executive positions in the corporate world where the market is much broader and there is typically no one 'guys' job within a firm to headhunt talent, I would get it in that situation why you bring in a search firm.

Archived