Reggie McKenzie out as GM

Silver&Black88

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I agree with this very much. I've been one of Reggie's biggest supporters here and vehemently disagree with the notion that he's been a terrible drafter. He hasn't been the greatest for sure and has a lot of 2nd round misses but he also put in place a the two most important pieces of the puzzle plus a few other top notch players - Franchise QB, All Pro pass rusher, what appears to be a shut down CB in Conley, a #1 WR in Cooper plus lot's of value late round picks. He purged the roster he inherited of overblown salary, complete disfunction and totally restructured our finances to streamline us into the modern age. In FA he put together an elite interior OL, added guys like Penn, Cook, Irvin, Lynch and Crabtree and turned around what had for years been the worst franchise in all football to be a 12-4 playoff bound team with huge aspirations. He gave us all hope and excitement again after so long in the wilderness.

I'll be forever grateful to big Reggie and wish him the very best in his next venture.

That said, I'm very nervous about handing all the nuclear codes and the big red key to Gruden moving forward.  

I'd argue some of this to a degree. Cooper/Mack were both top 5 picks. Margin for error certainly shrinks there. The Raiders had no plan at LT and then the Bucs cut Donald Penn. It was the definition of right place right time with him. Otherwise, this teams tackles would have been a complete disaster for years. 

I'm not excited for Gruden to be in control, but same time, I'm not to sad to see Reggie go. Too many misses early for my liking. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I want Louis Reddick as GM... worked with Gruden covering drafts for ESPN... experience as a scout, executive, former player, smart football mind.... comes off as a a likable guy who could close deals in free agency....

Pretty sure he wouldn’t want to have to answer to gruden if Chuck gave up total control yeah possibly 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Relax bro..... it's the holiday season

UnluckyPlaintiveBaldeagle-max-1mb.gif

50 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

Beating the Steelers is always great! Even though I want Bosa I love beating the Steelers! 

I can't even enjoy the W. Like, can we not be dysfunctional for 5 seconds?

41 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

It was the perfect time to do it. Hit the fans while they feeling good. 

Dude right?

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/12/10/18135109/jon-gruden-wishes-reggie-mckenzie-well-mark-davis-strangely-silent-raiders-official-announcement

Oh, come off it. Does anyone believe Gruden? Mark Davis' silence is deafening right now. Its fine that we moved in a different direction, but this charade is a load of bull. I'm sick of the facades. How can you lead a franchise without a spine? One of Mark or Gruden need one, and it appears neither does.

7 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2018/12/10/18135109/jon-gruden-wishes-reggie-mckenzie-well-mark-davis-strangely-silent-raiders-official-announcement

Oh, come off it. Does anyone believe Gruden? Mark Davis' silence is deafening right now. Its fine that we moved in a different direction, but this charade is a load of bull. I'm sick of the facades. How can you lead a franchise without a spine? One of Mark or Gruden need one, and it appears neither does.

Yeah that’s what annoys me most with Gruden, the charade that he puts on about denying responsibility for the front office actions.  We all know you’re in charge, literally every single beat reporter/insider is confirming it, so stop trying to shield yourself by acting like you’re really only the coach.

I’d much rather he just pulled a Belichek and say as little as possible.

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I agree with this very much. I've been one of Reggie's biggest supporters here and vehemently disagree with the notion that he's been a terrible drafter. He hasn't been the greatest for sure and has a lot of 2nd round misses but he also put in place a the two most important pieces of the puzzle plus a few other top notch players - Franchise QB, All Pro pass rusher, what appears to be a shut down CB in Conley, a #1 WR in Cooper plus lot's of value late round picks. He purged the roster he inherited of overblown salary, complete disfunction and totally restructured our finances to streamline us into the modern age. In FA he put together an elite interior OL, added guys like Penn, Cook, Irvin, Lynch and Crabtree and turned around what had for years been the worst franchise in all football to be a 12-4 playoff bound team with huge aspirations. He gave us all hope and excitement again after so long in the wilderness.

I'll be forever grateful to big Reggie and wish him the very best in his next venture.

That said, I'm very nervous about handing all the nuclear codes and the big red key to Gruden moving forward.  

Good post @Darbsk this is how I see it. I get the criticism of the drafts but to claim his free agency pickups have been poor is ridiculous. Under Reggie we weren’t being called dysfunctional, unfortunately since Grudens return that word has been attributed to us far too often.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/10/raiders-gm-firing-reggie-mckenzie-jon-gruden?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb

3. As for what to look for in Oakland’s next GM, it sounds like the team will seek someone with the chops to push back on Gruden. That indicates previous GM experience would be a plus for candidates.

I really hope we do look for a GM with a modicum of power and the sand in the pants to fight back, enough to keep Gruden at least partly in check..........though TBH I don't see how that would work given the obvious power and hold Gruden already has over MD. 

I found this bit interesting:

2. Say this for McKenzie, too: He worked the trade market. A lot of other teams became frustrated with him as he shopped players he’d spent high draft picks on, some going so far as to say he was sandbagging deals because he didn’t really want to deal his guy. But holding a hard line wound up positioning the Raiders with three first-rounders in 2019 and two more in 2020, as a result of the Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper deals. The flip side? Players like Karl Joseph weren’t dealt.

Makes me wonder how little we might have got if Gruden had had his way completely O.o also, we could traded the likes on Conley and Joseph who now appear to be playing well - especially Conley.

Archived