Reggie McKenzie out as GM

Silver&Black88

A new GM search is certainly thread-worthy. It sounds as if Reggie McKenzie is a goner:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/raiders-will-conduct-a-gm-search-as-well-as-a-front-office-overhaul-this-offseason/

Jon Gruden's frustration with the Raiders' recent drafts and overall talent base has been no secret this season in his return to coaching and, not surprisingly, the franchise will be making considerable changes for 2019, sources said.

General manager Reggie McKenzie will not return, which is not a surprise and has long been assumed in NFL circles, and several other members of the scouting and football operations staff will be changing as well. Gruden has total control over the organization, and the Raiders are in the early stages of a deep rebuild. Gruden and owner Mark Davis will be looking to woo top candidates to the Raiders franchise in its final year as nomads before moving into their new digs in Las Vegas in 2020.

Not shocking at all. Reggie did some good things for us and some bad. He wasn't perfect as a GM, but we could have done much worse. Ironically, I feel like he would have strongly benefitted from a smart, confident coach with a consistent system he knows well. Someone to split the draft responsibilities with and build a team together. Now it seems we're going int he opposite direction and likely going to find Gruden a yes-man.

This was evident the moment Gruden was hired. Several of us posters pointed it out back then. They put on the fake charade show of "we can work together" for a year when they knew this would always be the result in the end.

Fakeness and Jon Gruden go hand in hand together. I'm not really bothered by it, as Reggie has been among the worst drafting GMs since 14. 

Reggie McKenzie, good for getting a tram out of cap hell which I am thankful for, also solid at contract structure. Front loads contracts, low guarantee money, and makes sure it doesn’t destroy the franchise. He even gave us an out of Carrs contract the end of this season and the end of next season in case he turned into Joe Flacco. Reggie was a contract guru. 

However he was probably the worst drafting GM in the league and signs terrible free agents. 

We all know Chucky is in control. Might as well get a yes man and let RM be a GM elsewhere. I really liked RM. Like most GM's he made mistakes and always tried to give a chance before making a change. Dennis Allen was young at the time and JDR actually was a good fit at the time. Honestly never should have fired him until Vegas but that's all Mark Davis. Loved how Reggie delt with contracts and cap. His drafting was on par with other GMs. Other than 14 his high picks were head scratchers but really good at later round UFA additions to fill in our holes.

Reggie took a dumpster fire and got us to the playoffs and earlier than I would have thought. I give him props and think he'll get another GM gig soon.

Was he really a bad drafter overall? I'm still not convinced, is they're some chart or comparison against other GMs?

The bigger problem is Mark Davis has a penchant for meddling similar to AL.

Gruden might be the only guy who will keep Mark in check, if so then maybe Gruden has a chance. Maybe Mark gave Gruden that contract so he couldn't fire him, sort of a fail safe against more emotional choices by Mark.

Archived