Greg's 4th and 1

Kiwibrown

4th-1 from the 10 with 1 point lead without much time to go.  

23 members have voted

1. 1. ??

FG 100% of the time.

Make them drive the field and score a TD to near you, not just get within FG range.

Greggggg is lucky we got the stop, or that’s a blunder that’s hard to recover from. I feel like that would have cost him any chance at being the HC next season tbh (still think his chances are slim).

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I agreed with the play. You have a beast at RB and FGs aren’t guaranteed. Greg Robinson blew his assignment. 

Yep Robinson got destroyed by the inside move. Totally unacceptable. He has to know that an inside stunt is the one thing that can hurt you, so you got play it hard. 

It was a terrible call for numerous reasons. The obvious reason being that the odds say making the other team drive the entire field for a TD is much more in your favor than making the other team drive 2/3 of a field for a FG.

The other reason I absolutely hat the call was because it showed no clear plan or direction. It was a living in the moment call. If the plan was to go for it on 4th down from the beginning then the ball should have been put in the air on 1st or 2nd down via play action. You knew the other team was selling out to stop the run and even with an incomplete pass one run would have taken it to the two minute warning.

Greg Williams too a big step back in his bid for head coach IMO.

For me it boils down to the series that got him to that decision:

*I LOVED the decision to go out on 4th down and draw them offsides, but Greg panicked and called timeout...but I’d also bet that they were going to run a play and he didn’t like what he saw instead of just doing that.

*At this point, you have to kick the field goal. You can’t call a second timeout after the first or it’s a penalty. 

*You have to go up 4 points and make a TD beat you. They’d need to score a TD with under 2 minutes left and no timeouts. 

*If you’re gonna go for it in that situation, I’d prefer some type of read option or RPO look, not a 7 vs 9 running play begging to get stuffed, although Chubb is the man.

I understand what he’s trying to do with this team, believe in them, change the awful mentality over the last 3-20 years, and let it ride because we win if we get a yard. Unfortunately no one was in his ear or he wasn’t listening.

4 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

It was a terrible call for numerous reasons. The obvious reason being that the odds say making the other team drive the entire field for a TD is much more in your favor than making the other team drive 2/3 of a field for a FG.

Agreed.  You’re giving the opposing team a much simpler path to victory.

The other reason I absolutely hat the call was because it showed no clear plan or direction. It was a living in the moment call. If the plan was to go for it on 4th down from the beginning then the ball should have been put in the air on 1st or 2nd down via play action. You knew the other team was selling out to stop the run and even with an incomplete pass one run would have taken it to the two minute warning.

They should have been throwing it more tbh with their injuries at corner. If theyre in man, assumed your WR can beat a safety 1:1.  If they’re zone, flood one short and move the ball.  Way too conservative and concerned about the clock when it came to play calling.

Greg Williams too a big step back in his bid for head coach IMO.

Yeah this is a “more balls than brains” move.  Can’t have those imo. 

I thought that whole last drive was dumb. We take the ball out of Mayfields hands and go all conservative by playing for a field goal and then gamble by going for it?  If we were up against a better team we probably lose because of it. But that’s Williams in a nutshell. 

41 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I thought that whole last drive was dumb. We take the ball out of Mayfields hands and go all conservative by playing for a field goal and then gamble by going for it?  If we were up against a better team we probably lose because of it. But that’s Williams in a nutshell. 

Yeah they’ve got offensive tackles and ball boys playing CB and we start trying to pound the ball “cuz the clock”...

Go 5 wide, expose their depth issues and score.  The clock won’t matter then.

I think it was an emotional decision based on the refs. Shouldve been spotted closer and I dont think anyone wanted the game slip away like it did in Oakland where a sneak couldve gotten the 1st.

That being said, Denver was not going to find the end zone if we kick a fg. Luckily for Greg he showed his guts and more importantly the defense had his back and shut it down when they needed too the most.

Guts and luck

I didn't mind the call. Although it would have been a chip shot FG, we all know Joseph isn't exactly reliable at this point. If we had a more consistent kicker, then I'd say take the FG. Otherwise, I like the aggressiveness to go for the first down so the Broncos wouldn't be able to stop the clock. It didn't help that the refs gave us a crappy spot - even if Njoku didn't get the first down, he was still closer than the spot they gave us. Greg Robinson just did a horrible job of executing on the running play, and that's what costed us.

Archived