Random Raider Stuff

RaidersAreOne

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Watching the Renfrow play again is making me think about letting him play a little safety.  Good read, form tackle, an put his helmet right on the football.  He is already better than Abram.

Renfrow is the definition of "football player."  He is not an athlete by any means (decent 40 though), just his ability to play the game is at the pinnacle.  No other way he could play at such a high level with his measurables without being so great at so much when it comes to the game of football.

• Like 2

This made me happy. When McDaniels was talking about how the Adams trade got started, he was talking about how Zeigler has an established open line of communication in place with all the other GM's. And I was just thinking, how much easier is going to be to improve the team when you know what's going on around the league. Nothing against Mayock, but Zeigler was working as an established GM prior and had relationships in place. 

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Gross. I'm not a fan of DB's/WR's wearing single digits. Moehrig wore 7 at TCU, so that makes sense. Edwards wore 89 at USC and is changing to 3 of all weird numbers?!

Edwards is probably predicting his receptions for next season.  3 sounds about right.

On 3/28/2022 at 4:01 PM, NickButera said:

This made me happy. When McDaniels was talking about how the Adams trade got started, he was talking about how Zeigler has an established open line of communication in place with all the other GM's. And I was just thinking, how much easier is going to be to improve the team when you know what's going on around the league. Nothing against Mayock, but Zeigler was working as an established GM prior and had relationships in place. 

Is there any reports of Mayock not having communication with other GMs?  Ziegler may have better relationships with the majority of the GMs but I highly doubt other GMa wouldn’t take or return Mayock’s calls.

42 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Is there any reports of Mayock not having communication with other GMs?  Ziegler may have better relationships with the majority of the GMs but I highly doubt other GMa wouldn’t take or return Mayock’s calls.

We regularly had issues trading back during the draft.

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Not directly. But like NYRaider said, there were reports that certain things didn't get done, like trade backs or trade rumors that never got done. Regardless of any report or lack of report, someone who has been working as GM and assistant GM, etc, who has spent the last several years calling and building relationships, working trades, etc.... Is going to be able to get more info and get more done than someone who jumps into the industry from outside who has never had working relationships or accomplished anything cooperatively with any other GM before.  

Established relationships matter, and in the end you should be able to get more done for your team. That's all I meant. How many reports did I read about Mayock that went like "oh yea, I was having my regular conversations with these guys and the let on to me that these players may be up for grabs if certain things happen", I just don't think those kinds of things happened with him. 

On 3/29/2022 at 5:58 PM, NYRaider said:

We regularly had issues trading back during the draft.

That is a totally different issue.  Has nothing to do with him not being able to communicate with GMs in the least bit.  

Mayock many times locked onto a prospect and just refused to trade back.  For instance, TB tried to move up 2 spots and get Wirfs and we didn’t want to risk losing out on Ruggs (which was a very very low chance) so we turned down the offer.  With AL we valued him above other OTs so we took him at 17.  We had the “well, he was our favorite available player so we took him” approach.

If anything Mayock’s issue was not being able to properly assess where the players he liked would be drafted if he didn’t take them prior AND the desire to try and trade back to get the players he wanted as late in the draft as possible.

I think it’s safe to say one of Mayock’s problem was he wasn’t active enough reaching out and having conversations with other GMs about making deals if certain circumstances arose.

Also, Ziegler was never a GM before this.  He was a director or pro personnel for 4 years then an assistant director of player personnel for 1 year, then the director of player personnel for 1 year.  He wasn’t likely the one on the phone calling other GMs.  That was likely BB.  Maybe Ziegler in the most recent years was in the room or maybe sat in on the call when they were made by BB but that’s it.