Steve Wilks will be fired at season's end

Elky

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

And right now they’re on pace to finish -209.

Well yeah, that’s part of being 3-13 lol

3 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

And the Patriots fired him after 3 very ineffective seasons

Some coaches need to grow and learn before they’re good. Carroll was a great DC who didn’t become a good coach until he went to USC.

I honestly thought Carroll got kind of screwed in New England.  While it’s true that he got handed Parcells’ team, I thought he did a solid job considering he was sandwiched in between 2 legend coaches.  His 1997 Patriots team was definitely stout and his 1998 team was pretty good as well before Bledsoe got injured 2 games prior to the playoffs (11th in total offense in both points and yards, top half of the league in defense in terms of points and 7th in rush defense though the secondary did give up a lot of passing yards despite having both Lawyer Milloy and Ty Law). And I didn’t think it was his fault that Drew Bledsoe self destructed after the 6-2 start in 1999.  He went from throwing 13 TDs and 4 INTs over the first 8 games (6-2) to 6 TDs and 17 INTs over his last 8 (2-6)

9 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Most teams shouldn't fire a head coach after just one season, but this seems justified to me. There was very little positive areas by the Cardinals this season. Credit the Cardinals with realizing their mistake early and moving on.

The Cardinals are pretty devoid of talent.  They have a bit of talent on the defense, but overall their roster is probably among the bottom 5.  I suppose I understand this if they're wanting to bring in an offensive-minded HC.

43 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Well yeah, that’s part of being 3-13 lol

It would be the worst pt/diff since 2013.  Not even the 0-16/1-15 Browns were that low.   For the record he shouldn’t have been hired and the whole program needs an overhaul.  I’m guessing Keim will go and PP gets dealt during the draft

10 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Cardinals are pretty devoid of talent.  They have a bit of talent on the defense, but overall their roster is probably among the bottom 5.  I suppose I understand this if they're wanting to bring in an offensive-minded HC.

Time to steal Taylor and Fisch from the Rams.  RIP @El ramster

7 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

People that say it’s an “overreaction” or it’s “too early” to fire Wilks haven’t watched a Cardinals game this season unless it was against their own team. Keim should go as well.

This is true, but I'd also argue he (Wilks) was largely setup to fail (not intentionally, but it still happened).  He was, IIRC, the last HC to be hired in the cycle which left him picking from the scraps that no one wanted for assistants - granted, whether his and Rivera's combined histories with Mike McCoy might have led him there regardless is a righteous question but the pickings were slim by the point he got around to making that hire.

Wilks will land on his feet as a DC somewhere either next year or the year following (he has ties to some of the more talented secondaries in the league right now with young, publicity-friendly players in Carolina, Buffalo, and the Chargers, where he could do 1 year as a DB's coach or some similar capacity to rebuild his street cred).  

41 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Depending on how some rate Keim, Arizona might actually not be the worst place for MM to end up.  But if they can't get better production out of their OL, McCarthy isn't saving them from Jeff Fisher records, at best.

Just now, The LBC said:

Depending on how some rate Keim, Arizona might actually not be the worst place for MM to end up.  But if they can't get better production out of their OL, McCarthy isn't saving them from Jeff Fisher records, at best.

You'd have to figure that Cleveland is probably the preferred destination for Mac given that a good chunk of their FO consist of former Packers' FO personnel.  Plus, they've got the rookie QB who has shown the most so far.  Right now, they've got 4 picks in the first 96 selections where as the Jets have 3 and the Cardinals have 3 as well.  But I think it's the general talent level in Cleveland is more than Arizona.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You'd have to figure that Cleveland is probably the preferred destination for Mac given that a good chunk of their FO consist of former Packers' FO personnel.  Plus, they've got the rookie QB who has shown the most so far.  Right now, they've got 4 picks in the first 96 selections where as the Jets have 3 and the Cardinals have 3 as well.  But I think it's the general talent level in Cleveland is more than Arizona.

This is true, and in a vacuum I'd agree, but there is still Jimmy Haslam, who is ultimately the man with the stroke and while he's no doubt fine as long as the Browns continue to trend upward, if they suffer a hiccup or even stagnate slightly, he doesn't have the kind of track record that a coach who can, largely, pick his next destination from among the available openings may be all that keen to hire on with.  Wilks is largely a lone exception to the rule in terms of, just using them as an example here, Arizona not giving it's HC's plenty of leeway.  

10 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

People that say it’s an “overreaction” or it’s “too early” to fire Wilks haven’t watched a Cardinals game this season unless it was against their own team. Keim should go as well.

Wilks was in a bit of an unfair situation. He was following a great coach in Arians with a craptastic roster and bad injury luck. However, there's no arguing that he made mistakes. His scheme isn't a great fit for Patrick Peterson. Of course, that's not Wilks' fault. What is Wilks' fault is how dreadful the Mike McCoy hire ended up being. Still, I could see Wilks being successful under different circumstances. I still like him a lot as a defensive mind. 

Archived