Kyrie Irving Traded to Boston

CWood21

2 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

The Cavs really held out a week+ for a 2020 2nd round pick. I'm dead y'all.

Why not?  Not like waiting a week really was going to keep players from being able to practice together or anything.

Excellent.  The Cavaliers already had knowledge of Isaiah Thomas' injured hip.  In fact, according to a report I saw earlier, the Cavaliers doctors saw the reports made by the Celtics team doctors.  As far as I am concerned, the Celtics were pretty forthcoming with Thomas' injury and I am so glad the Celtics added a 2020 second rounder to finalize this deal.  Celtics won this trade and that will become even more apparent as the years go on.

I don't see how getting an extra 2nd round pick is a bad thing...?  Worst case it adds nothing...so they get the deal they agreed to anyways.  Best case Miami is locked into some bad contracts that don't age well and it's a pick between 31-40...which can be helpful.

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I don't see how getting an extra 2nd round pick is a bad thing...?  Worst case it adds nothing...so they get the deal they agreed to anyways.  Best case Miami is locked into some bad contracts that don't age well and it's a pick between 31-40...which can be helpful.

It's not a bad thing. The Cavs still won the trade.

5 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It's not a bad thing but it's a **** move to agree on a trade and then back out, only to agree to it again based on a 2nd rounder in 2020.

Could cause some teams to not do business with CLE in the future. 

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

No one is expecting him to become a drastically different player.  He's a slasher with a decent post game.  He went from incapable of shooting in college to an average NBA shooter.  He absolutely can improve his shooting.  His iso defense was pretty good.  The biggest issue was for him was missing rotations which is normal for a lot of young college players.

I have an embarrassing amount of posts on forums over the years.  Probably over 75,000.   Either way, 5k isn't exactly a tall podium to be preaching from lol.

So was Kawhi always an elite three point shooter?  Even without that kind of best case scenario, you're arguing it's impossible for an NBA rookie to improve his shooting.

Regardless, his game is and has always been slashing.  He doesn't need to be an elite 3 point shooter- just good enough that defenses have to respect that to make it easier for him to attack the rim and make him effective off the ball.  

I think it's a bit of a cop out to say basically "It's impossible to know for sure, and it's safe for me to say it's early so I'm going to just take a completely arbitrary and undefined position".  You absolutely can evaluate players in their rookie year.  You can evaluate NFL rookies.  NHL rookies.  NBA rookies.  MLB rookies.  Yes, there is a chance the evaluation isn't completely accurate, or opposing teams find holes in their games and they aren't able to adjust in the future.  But you can absolutely project players.

Shooting is probably the easiest thing for an NBA player to learn.  As a Celtics fan I've seen it first hand because a lot of Ainge's drafting strategy has been to draft undervalued athletes/elite at other things who can't shoot and hope that you can teach them to be good shooters.  Being able to elevate over people, blow past people off the dribble and finish with either hand is something much more difficult to do and Jaylen has shown he can do that at the NBA level.  Not college.  Not summer league.  Against real, legitimate NBA players.

In four-five years when Jaylen makes an all star game you can remember me. ;)

Shooting is one of the most difficult things for an NBA player to learn.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

If we listed categories I think shooting would be way closer to the easiest than the hardest. 

This is absolutely false.

EDIT: To expand on this, when someone learns to shoot, they have to essentially break the muscle memory they spent years developing. Few other things involve that.

Edited by utley4568