DeShone Kizer announced starter

BwickRedux

15 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I might be one of the few in here that's like Cattleman.....I think that we should start Kessler.....IMO he's had the most steady (if Unspectacular) play in the preseason. And also last season, as a third round rookie, with no reps, a Wr corps in shambles and an Oline that lost three of its 5 starters, he played very solid IMO....and that was vs. real bullets flying....

I recognize that Cody Kessler has some limitations, but what QB doesn't...I think H ue already knows that Kessler is an Andy Dalton....Couple things starting Kessler too, I think that would give some additional time to assess Kessler, it would provide some extra prepping time for Kizer, and then we could turn the key's over to him after the bye week (Unless Kessler is 7-1 and completing %68 of his passes).

Both young QB's would get assessed, and we could have a clear vision of which way we need to go.

Also wanted to point out...that not only is the QB draft class potentially special (I think Darnold stays, but Rosen, Faulk, the kid from Wyoming all come out), but in Free Agency next year....Drew Brees, Cousins, Garapolo and AJ McCaran all could be hitting the Free Agent Market.....

My dream is Kessler looks good, Kizer comes in at the bye and looks like he's going to develop into an absolute star.......then we sign Drew Brees next offseason to a two year deal and Load up in the draft.....make a run at this Playoffs thing....we would have a top 5 QB, two youngsters that look like they are going to develop.

I was absolutely on board with starting Kessler too and loved bridge that he offered, but then the reality of the situation came crashing down once TC began. I think it's important to note that while we only have two preseason games to go off of, these coaches (and reporters) see him everyday and by all accounts he has looked mediocre to bad on a consistent basis and regressed to the point that he really isn't starting material despite some areas of promise he showed last year. I don't think him being QB3 right now is Hue's choice; I think Kessler made that decision for him. 

1 hour ago, BwickRedux said:

I was absolutely on board with starting Kessler too and loved bridge that he offered, but then the reality of the situation came crashing down once TC began. I think it's important to note that while we only have two preseason games to go off of, these coaches (and reporters) see him everyday and by all accounts he has looked mediocre to bad on a consistent basis and regressed to the point that he really isn't starting material despite some areas of promise he showed last year. I don't think him being QB3 right now is Hue's choice; I think Kessler made that decision for him. 

And that could be absolute SPOT on facts right there......Unfortunately.

But its still the Win, Win.....Kizer was my #2 QB coming out, behind my Turbisky Man Crush.....but he is without a doubt the best Combo of most physically QB in the draft IMO....and having a season long look at him will be advantageous in two way's....It'll give him some experience, and if we can keep him healthy, a 16 game audition, and that will clear cut the direction we need to go in next year as far as QB acquisition......

I mean Hopefully Kizer continues to look like he's been developing.....BUT in the case of of a Buddy Holly/Richie Valenz plane crash, we would still be in position to Draft Darnold (if he comes out), Rosen or "Insert your favorite QB here", Sign Drew Brees and have Darnold sit for two years and learn.....I love our front office LOL.

Also I feel Kizer is in the best of a not ideal situation....with the team leaning on the Running Game and Defense...and Hue has been known to get Rookie QB's ready to play for big games. I think the Kid is going to be alright....

Biggest thing I've taken from Watching Kizer in two preseason games....he's got to remember...you cant hold the ball for 8 seconds....throw that thing away (and he has multiple times, but that needs to be consistent)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Can't deny that, however, good OLine or not, there will be pressures when facing teams like the Steelers, there likely will be picks and bad things happening on the fly, the type of things that can damage confidence if the QB is not mentally tough.  Mental toughness is not a trait displayed by Kizer at ND unfortunately.

Mental toughness is not a trait he displayed at ND? I think the complete opposite. Yeah he had issues with confidence but I think a lot of that stems from coaching. You look at him off the field and in pressers and just the way he handled himself. He acted and said everything in the right way possible. He never tried to throw someone under the boss unlike his HC and he took on and accepted a lot of accountability for the teams issues when it wasnt 100% him unlike his HC. Kelly now has said things along the lines of taking blame for last year but that was way too late. 

There was a lot of things going wrong with that team and I dont think it was just kizer. I could see his confidence def being shaken when he makes a mistake and than gets screamed and yelled at by Kelly.

I have faith in him this year because I can def see Hue handling him a lot better than Kelly did. 

Players will always project their HCs. Best example would be tOSU. During that playoff run with Jones, he was confident because the coaches were confident in him. Hell man Jones could of fell apart after that start vs Bama. Didnt shake him. 

There is a reason ND has changed a few coaches on their offensive staff and why Kelly is now starting to accept some responsibility for last year.

IMO he is a garbage coach 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Generally crapping on Brian Kelly will always get a like from me, that dude is joke.

What kind of coach and grown azz man throws his players under the bus?

I know right...

Kizer acted like he was the mature ole ball coach and Kelly was the 19 year old QB.

Everything he had to deal with at ND, shows me that Kizer is mentally tough. He went through some stuff off the field and on the field but yet he kept a positive attitude and was a true leader for his teammates.

I really like the things Joe Thomas has said about him being named the starter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BwickRedux said:

I think that Kessler should start.

Personally I think Hue just doesn't like him, for whatever reason. Maybe because he is 6'1.5", instead of Hue's 6'2" baseline?

Wonder why Hue didn't set the base at 6'7/8"?

Wonder why Hue pulled him against NYG when he was on a 7-7 roll and moving the team?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I know right...

Kizer acted like he was the mature ole ball coach and Kelly was the 19 year old QB.

Everything he had to deal with at ND, shows me that Kizer is mentally tough. He went through some stuff off the field and on the field but yet he kept a positive attitude and was a true leader for his teammates.

I really like the things Joe Thomas has said about him being named the starter.

Yeah facing Pittsburgh is no comparison to having to be coached by Brian Kelly. 

Id much rather face James Harrison than have to be instructed by that lunatic 

47 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Personally I think Hue just doesn't like him, for whatever reason. Maybe because he is 6'1.5", instead of Hue's 6'2" baseline?

Wonder why Hue pulled him against NYG when he was on a 7-7 roll and moving the team?

What was he showing against the 3rd/4th stringers that he didn't show last season in the 8 games he played?

If there's one guy who shouldn't need as many reps, it's him.  

If you want to argue he should get Hogan's reps I won't argue, but it seems like picking nits IMO.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What was he showing against the 3rd/4th stringers that he didn't show last season in the 8 games he played?

If there's one guy who shouldn't need as many reps, it's him.  

If you want to argue he should get Hogan's reps I won't argue, but it seems like picking nits IMO.

From what I have read, Kessler is fighting Hogan for the 3rd QB spot. 

Kessler had the #1 QB job going into camp, and slipped to 3rd and is fighting to not be 4th.

Let's all rid our thoughts of any delusions of Kessler starting.

I feel like how everything played out in this QB competition favored Kizer the most.

Every part of early camp he split time with Kessler with the 1s. So he got a lot of good reps with the top players on the team. Hue names him the 3rd string QB for game 1, which means he will get the most reps out of any QB. In Game 2, he is bumped up to #2 and yet again plays the most reps out of any QB. In game 3, he is named the starter, again he will play the most snaps.

What I am getting out, I feel like Hue dictated the depth charts so far in the preseason games to get Kizer as many game reps as possible. I know Ken Carmen and Lima have been complaining about giving Brock all their 1st team reps the past two weeks was stupid of Hue if Brock had no real future. I believe Hue set it up so Kizer got the most reps and most game action so Hue can see how Kizer reacts in a real live game situation. You can have live periods in practice but you will never be able to get the feeling of live football vs an opponent.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Come on Bruce. Kessler has not been good thru mini camps and the pre season. 

And hue pulling him against NYG has to stop. He had one good drive that game. The rest he was immensely ineffective. 

I personally was hoping he'd be a good back up but he's in danger of being cut. He needed to step up and just didn't. 

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

From what I have read, Kessler is fighting Hogan for the 3rd QB spot. 

Kessler had the #1 QB job going into camp, and slipped to 3rd and is fighting to not be 4th.

Let's all rid our thoughts of any delusions of Kessler starting.

That's absurd to me.

Kessler may be limited, but he's shown he can at least play competently and not lose a team games, Osweiller is consistently terrible.

Hogan isn't an NFL qb IMO.

Kessler may not be a starter, but he's a reasonable backup IMO.