Offseason/Coaching Rumors, 2019 Edition

TheKillerNacho

20 hours ago, DawgX said:

I'd prefer an offensive minded HC, but he's definitely an intriguing candidate. He's done really well with Indy's defense despite their relative lack of talent on that side of the ball.

I mean, just saying, lack of big names doesn't mean "lack of talent."  And even in that regard, they've got a fair amount of technically-sound guys who came from quality programs and toolsy small school guys who fit the scheme extraordinarily well.  The notion that this is a defense made up of Margus Hunt's and Jabaal Sheard's is a misnomer.

Not taking anything away from Eberflus, he's done very well.  But I just loathe this notion that just because people don't recognize the names of some of these small school guys that they're "low talent," rather they're just "low recognition."

20 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I hope they don't want him as their OC and he can come over here still lol.  I know Denver did him well and all but the talent level on both offenses is a drastic difference he could come in day 1 with Ryan, Julio, Sanu, Ridley, Freeman, and Hooper and be a top 5 offense and a SB ready offense imo.   Hes gonna have a bit of work to do with Keenum for sure but maybe he prefers the challenge and i can't blame him for being a loyal person.  Just think our situation would be a better one for him to succeed at a high level.

It's possible, but at the same time, I wouldn't jump to equating Kubiak's scheme to a sudden return to Lil Shanny's scheme.  Kyle took what his father and Kubes were doing and adapted, started getting more creative, and he made it his own.  Kubiak (ask the Houston fans) had/has a really bad habit of stagnating and never adapting his scheme to the modern game - in that respect, albeit with a different scheme, he's a lot like Cam Cameron that way.  I almost feel like you guys (Falcons) would be better off with - brace yourselves - Darrell Bevell as OC.

42 minutes ago, The LBC said:

It's possible, but at the same time, I wouldn't jump to equating Kubiak's scheme to a sudden return to Lil Shanny's scheme.  Kyle took what his father and Kubes were doing and adapted, started getting more creative, and he made it his own.  Kubiak (ask the Houston fans) had/has a really bad habit of stagnating and never adapting his scheme to the modern game - in that respect, albeit with a different scheme, he's a lot like Cam Cameron that way.  I almost feel like you guys (Falcons) would be better off with - brace yourselves - Darrell Bevell as OC.

They should be ballsy and hire Todd Monken.

1 minute ago, tom cody said:

Will be interesting to see how Kingsbury would do in the nfl. A lot of difference in the pro and college game. 

Yeah, that's one that baffles me. I could understand him as OC, but I don't get him as HC. Who does he know in the NFL? What sort of staff could he build? How will he solve the defensive problems that always plagued him at TTU? If the guy is so connected, why couldn't he find a decent DC for his CFB team?

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, that's one that baffles me. I could understand him as OC, but I don't get him as HC. Who does he know in the NFL? What sort of staff could he build? How will he solve the defensive problems that always plagued him at TTU? If the guy is so connected, why couldn't he find a decent DC for his CFB team?

Pure conjecture here, but could it have to do with TTech just not being a particularly attractive job in a conference that overall isn't known for D? I mean, I agree with you that his D's were laughably atrocious, but could that have played a role? Granted, I too think he needs to be an OC at the NFL level and don't understand the hype behind a guy who kinda failed as a HC at the college level. I feel like people have gotten over enamored with the Shanahan's and McVay's of the world and think that any offensive mastermind is somehow a genius.

Chip Kelly, for several reasons, wasn't likely to get another NFL shot after Philadelphia and was lucky to get the San Francisco job following a much better college run than Kingsbury has ever had. For what it's worth, I never felt like Chip resoundingly failed at the NFL level, indeed having a pretty good bit of early success in Philadelphia and arguably overachieving in San Fran, but his defenses were often the weak link by a mile (even dating back to his college days). I think his pride wouldn't let him be an OC and it became his downfall. Point being, Kingsbury was less successful at the college level and suffered from the same weak spots, so I don't get the hype. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pure conjecture here, but could it have to do with TTech just not being a particularly attractive job in a conference that overall isn't known for D? I mean, I agree with you that his D's were laughably atrocious, but could that have played a role? Granted, I too think he needs to be an OC at the NFL level and don't understand the hype behind a guy who kinda failed as a HC at the college level. I feel like people have gotten over enamored with the Shanahan's and McVay's of the world and think that any offensive mastermind is somehow a genius.

Chip Kelly, for several reasons, wasn't likely to get another NFL shot after Philadelphia and was lucky to get the San Francisco job following a much better college run than Kingsbury has ever had. For what it's worth, I never felt like Chip resoundingly failed at the NFL level, indeed having a pretty good bit of early success in Philadelphia and arguably overachieving in San Fran, but his defenses were often the weak link by a mile (even dating back to his college days). I think his pride wouldn't let him be an OC and it became his downfall. Point being, Kingsbury was less successful at the college level and suffered from the same weak spots, so I don't get the hype. 

The problem with Chip is that he thought tempo solved all problems. In college, it can. But NFL defenses figured him out. He refused to make his scheme more complex, and he just got progressively worse. Defenders were literally calling out the plays before the snap during his final couple of years.

As for Kingsbury, I expect that played some role, but keep in mind that his defenses never needed to be anything more than competent for them to win. Yet, they remained disastrous. I have a hard time believing that his inability to find anyone competent was due to Tech being a bad job.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Bite yo tongue mofo but nah honestly im not sweating it to much because you really never know what any Oc is gonna do until they get there and have the personnel you have to work with.  Top to bottom talent wise we might have more talent than most of these OC's have had and they could come here mesh well with Ryan and company and be phenomenal.  So im not gonna complain to much no matter who we get.  I would prefer certain guys over others based on what i have seen from them before thats why bevell is lower on my list in general.  But he could be the best of the group with our guys we have if they mesh with his play calling. 

Archived