Around The League V.2

Totty

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

He out played Burney.... 

we should bring in 2 of LB: Nicholas Morrow, Jabril Cox, Brandon Smith, Mykal Walker 

also a few good G: Zach Bailey, Germain Ifedi, Michael Dunn

Personally, I’d have liked to have kept Thomas but I can see why people might be suspicious. He is small and he’s not an uber athlete but when I saw him he was just making plays and buzzing about everywhere. I suppose you would say he just ‘has a nose for the ball’.

I just have a feeling about him that he might just be the exception to the rule  of LBs who don’t have great size, length or are great athletes. Maybe not………..

Now, Burney has length and is an explosive athlete but he seems to me to be the polar opposite, allergic to taking on blockers and flashy but not fundamentally sound though I think they were enamoured with his potential ceiling. I think they kept the wrong one but maybe neither end up working out or both do 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

He out played Burney.... 

we should bring in 2 of LB: Nicholas Morrow, Jabril Cox, Brandon Smith, Mykal Walker 

Andrew Norwell and Dalton Risner the two best Guards out there.

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

He out played Burney.... 

According to you, if a 4th round pick was cut, he's a bust..... so those 3 guys are out I guess. 

The reason they likely kept Burnet is because he offers something that none of our other LBs do and that's coverage ability. I think he moved from Safety just a few years ago, so the coaches probably hope he can still develop into a actual LB and learn to take on blockers and all that gritty.

I'm one that believes that physical mentality is something you either have or don't, I can't remember it being developed in any player recently?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

The reason they likely kept Burnet is because he offers something that none of our other LBs do and that's coverage ability. I think he moved from Safety just a few years ago, so the coaches probably hope he can still develop into a actual LB and learn to take on blockers and all that gritty.

I'm one that believes that physical mentality is something you either have or don't, I can't remember it being developed in any player recently?

Actually Diablo is a converted safety too. Seems to be the trend. 

1 hour ago, OldManWillis said:

Eh Thomas was a undersized LB, and no world beater. We seem to grab one of those every season.

It's a shame how the LB positions are so neglected and depleted of talent that we are upset when a UDFA gets picked up on waivers. 

Sam mills? Zach Thomas? And more, hell mills was listed at 5’9”. Thomas could shed better, because he played lber, burney ole’d several times in preseason, he has physical tools yes, but “ it ain’t the size of the dog in the fight......” and plz, i ain’t coming at ya stupid, or crying about Thomas. Just strictly devils advocate. No ones upset, just doesn’t make sense. Burney would’ve cleared waivers easier, strictly imo tho. But he’s a draft pick, and they can “say” everyone from this draft made the team. Fwiw, I absolutely hope burney improves and works out. 🍻👍

4 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

Burney looked pretty good taking on blockers here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Sam mills? Zach Thomas? And more, hell mills was listed at 5’9”. Thomas could shed better, because he played lber, burney ole’d several times in preseason, he has physical tools yes, but “ it ain’t the size of the dog in the fight......” and plz, i ain’t coming at ya stupid, or crying about Thomas. Just strictly devils advocate. No ones upset, just doesn’t make sense. Burney would’ve cleared waivers easier, strictly imo tho. But he’s a draft pick, and they can “say” everyone from this draft made the team. Fwiw, I absolutely hope burney improves and works out. 🍻👍

Nah I don't think ya coming at me, it's a football conversation.

Those two are some of the all time greats at ILB, and I'd say chances are that Drake doesnt become one of those. 

I think the coaches went with the player they invested a draft pick in, had higher athletic traits, and provided coverage skills. They went with the player they felt had a better chance to develop into something. Was it the right choice?  We won't know right away.

I know that coaches make mistakes all the time too, and that's been proven by past Raiders coaches for years. 

Here's to everyone of our players improving 🍻

• Like 2