Around The League V.2

Totty

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

That would be a bitter pill to swallow but it is only dead cap.  I believe all the real money has already been paid.  Cap would take a huge hit next year but if you are going with a rookie QB (Tua) and you believe he is better it is a $15-17 million increase in cap for 1 year.  2021 the cap number would drastically fall from $33 to around $7.  Real cash is increased by the rookie contract.

It's just not something that happens. I'd say no one does this, but the Steelers just did to get away from AB.  This is clearly not the same.

3 minutes ago, true2form said:

It's just not something that happens. I'd say no one does this, but the Steelers just did to get away from AB.  This is clearly not the same.

If you are going to draft a QB to start then the cap money balances year 2.  It would come down to whether Tua is an upgrade.  Year 3 you are saving money but would have been able to cut Stafford with very little dead money.  I would not touch cutting Stafford and then spend on a FA QB.

Edited by drfrey13

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

If you are going to draft a QB to start then the cap money balances year 2.  It would come down to whether Tua is an upgrade.  Year 3 you are saving money but would have been able to cut Stafford with very little dead money.  I would not touch cutting Stafford and then spend on a FA QB.

But that's not a good plan. If you want Tua that's fine, go ahead and draft him at #3. It would be foolish to expect him to start for any team this season though, he's pretty much said that himself.

5 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It would be like you are using the 30M on the rookie this year tho, and prevents you from adding much help around him or improving the team on top of a top drafted QB contract is still not cheap.

2 hours ago, true2form said:

But that's not a good plan. If you want Tua that's fine, go ahead and draft him at #3. It would be foolish to expect him to start for any team this season though, he's pretty much said that himself.

I think Tua will start Week 1. At least by Week 5. This is why you invest in a good backup. 

Lions trading Stafford for a Top 10 pick and picking Tua at 3 is a very good aggressive move. They also get a defensive stud like Brown or Okudah. 

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think Tua will start Week 1. At least by Week 5. This is why you invest in a good backup. 

Lions trading Stafford for a Top 10 pick and picking Tua at 3 is a very good aggressive move. They also get a defensive stud like Brown or Okudah. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/31/tua-tagovailoas-agent-hopes-he-doesnt-have-to-start-this-year/

He prefers to sit. Health will play a factor too.

Then you still have the $30+ million in dead money. Logic doesn't live here.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It's a stupid move. The money just dont make sense. 

15 hours ago, raidr4life said:

It would be like you are using the 30M on the rookie this year tho, and prevents you from adding much help around him or improving the team on top of a top drafted QB contract is still not cheap.

That is why I said "if you think he will be better".  There is a give and take with this situation and I do not believe they will do it but it is possible under the right circumstances.

maybe they get a first, no one knows for sure if that's staffords value, especially when A) teams know you`re dumping said player(especially qb`s) and B)with his current contract numbers being not too friendly. very few teams are interested in giving up top 10 picks nowadays it seems like.imo

16 hours ago, true2form said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/31/tua-tagovailoas-agent-hopes-he-doesnt-have-to-start-this-year/

He prefers to sit. Health will play a factor too.

Then you still have the $30+ million in dead money. Logic doesn't live here.

The cap hit is only one year and they aren’t winning the Super Bowl this year anyways.  Then you get two all star players and a QB on a Rookie Contract. 

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

That is why I said "if you think he will be better".  There is a give and take with this situation and I do not believe they will do it but it is possible under the right circumstances.

Would you like AB's 30M on our books because we can draft a rookie WR?