Around The League V.2

Totty

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Spend the next few years losing and trading every possible asset away to get 5 picks in the top 15 and draft every QB in a draft, and hope and pray you don't wind up with Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, EJ Manuel, Paxton Lynch, and Jameis Winston. 

I've often thought that maybe every year we should trade our 2nd round pick for a first the following year, that way we could basically have two first round picks every year from them on...........

28 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I've often thought that maybe every year we should trade our 2nd round pick for a first the following year, that way we could basically have two first round picks every year from them on...........

My thought was to trade our 7th every year for a 6th.

Year 2 you trade a 7th for a 6th, and 6th for a 5th.

Year 3 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, and 5th for a 4th.

Year 4 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, and 4th for a 3rd

Year 5 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, 4th for a 3rd, and 3rd for a 2nd.

Year 6 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, 4th for a 3rd, 3rd for a 2nd, and 2nd for a 1st.

Year 7 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, 4th for a 3rd, 3rd for a 2nd, 2nd for a 1st but we have all of our picks plus a second 1st round pick to draft players.

Now we are essentially turning a 7th into a 1st every year.

Do you think the league would still trade with us?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Will Carr be the starter next season?

Highly questionable we pay him 40 million after this season 

The offense as constructed will count for 108 million towards the cap. There’s plenty of Logic moving on from Carr after the season

The cap next year is at 225M .  . . so 108 on O is under half. 
are you saying that 108 is too much on O?

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Year 4 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, and 4th for a 3rd

Year 5 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, 4th for a 3rd, and 3rd for a 2nd.

Year 6 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, 4th for a 3rd, 3rd for a 2nd, and 2nd for a 1st.

Year 7 you trade the 7th for a 6th, 6th for a 5th, 5th for a 4th, 4th for a 3rd, 3rd for a 2nd, 2nd for a 1st but we have all of our picks plus a second 1st round pick to draft players.

Sounds intriguing but I’m not sure we’d be able to pull off all those trades every year, although most teams are looking for instant gratification with their picks so it may take them a few years to realise what our 7 year plan is 😂😂

Realistically, I think it’s feasible to trade one pick every year for a future pick a round higher. Trouble is, you are never sure if you are trading, for example, a high 2 for a low 1 or a low 3 for a high 2. Some years it could be a huge steal, others you may only move up a half dozen spots.

I definitely think one pick per year is doable though, and you’re only losing a single pick the first year which maybe if you started in a weaker class you can trade down to recoup anyway.  It’s definitely a fascinating strategy……

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Sounds intriguing but I’m not sure we’d be able to pull off all those trades every year, although most teams are looking for instant gratification with their picks so it may take them a few years to realise what our 7 year plan is 😂😂

Realistically, I think it’s feasible to trade one pick every year for a future pick a round higher. Trouble is, you are never sure if you are trading, for example, a high 2 for a low 1 or a low 3 for a high 2. Some years it could be a huge steal, others you may only move up a half dozen spots.

I definitely think one pick per year is doable though, and you’re only losing a single pick the first year which maybe if you started in a weaker class you can trade down to recoup anyway.  It’s definitely a fascinating strategy……

I am almost always in favor of trading away picks for future assets.  It is also true that you need to be careful because you can end up recouping very little the next year if you trade with the wrong team.  after last year a trade for future assets from the Jets or Giants would look very good but it looks like you would get burnt with how they are playing this year.  After the moves we made there where teams out there that looked at us and said we will probably get a playoff draft choice back but we may end up picking top ten.  Looks like Seattle and Philadelphia are going to make out this year.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:00 PM, drfrey13 said:

After Super Bowl trade 32 into  45 range and 3rd

45 for 1st next season/ 64 pick BPA/70-80 from  trade BPA/ Trade up from 96 to 90 giving up 5th and getting their 7th

Trade 4th for 2 5ths, trade 6th and higher 7th for late 5th and then trade 7th for next years 6th as you mentioned. 

Step 3 PROFIT!!!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, G said:

After Super Bowl trade 32 into  45 range and 3rd

45 for 1st next season/ 64 pick BPA/70-80 from  trade BPA/ Trade up from 96 to 90 giving up 5th and getting their 7th

Trade 4th for 2 5ths, trade 6th and higher 7th for late 5th and then trade 7th for next years 6th as you mentioned. 

Step 3 PROFIT!!!  

We could rule the NFL.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We could rule the NFL.

Draft better than Grudock.

I could throw darts at the top 10 players on the board and draft better than Grudock. Must see TV in the Raiders draft room and I'd even air me throwing the dart. That way teams will move up if they see it land on their player. I also reserve the right to throw favorite/best 2 out of 3. lol

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, G said:

Draft better than Grudock.

I could throw darts at the top 10 players on the board and draft better than Grudock. Must see TV in the Raiders draft room and I'd even air me throwing the dart. That way teams will move up if they see it land on their player. I also reserve the right to throw favorite/best 2 out of 3. lol

I think the problem with the last staff was they used the same strategy but had the top 40 players remaining on it.  Still better than Reggie.  I think he removed the top 20 players and then used the the dart board.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I think the problem with the last staff was they used the same strategy but had the top 40 players remaining on it.  Still better than Reggie.  I think he removed the top 20 players and then used the the dart board.

The dart must have ricocheted and stick in someone’s backside when they drafted Damon Arnette 😄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

This is not entirely true. Reggie did draft Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. But yes... some of his other picks were head scratching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steins Gate said:

This is not entirely true. Reggie did draft Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper. But yes... some of his other picks were head scratching.

I would hope he could draft in the top 5.  Other than those two with Carr and Jackson he consistently drafted guys a round or two early.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I would hope he could draft in the top 5.  Other than those two with Carr and Jackson he consistently drafted guys a round or two early.

Grudock had those moments too. To be fair, Grudock had a top 5 pick as well. How did that go?

Reggie was better at drafting in the 1st round IMO. When there was an obvious blue chip guy available. Grudock was allergic to blue chip guys..... But was better on days 2 and 3.

• Like 1