Around The League V.2

Totty

7 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Did he get injured running or from a hit in the pocket?

Doesn't matter hits are hits. That's why you try to minimize them by staying in the pocket. If the QB can get an easy 1st then go for it but some of the hits QBs get running up the middle are crazy.

• Like 1

Not a lot of good teams this year. Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Vikings.

Then the Ravens, Bucs, Packers, Cowboys, Bengals and a few others who are solid but have significant weaknesses. Giants are playing inspired and credit to Daboll but they're no postseason threat.

Everyone else is atrocious 

Edited by Dodo

19 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Imo while running qbs can dictate the type of hits they endure more than in the pocket. Tua hit in the pocket, Gannon, carr, Brady all majorly injured etc etc

I’d rather get hit while in motion vs just standing there and getting hit by a moving person.

True but in Gannon's case he got pancaked by Goose in the pocket but broke his vertebrae running.  I would love to see Carr run more but he needs to learn to be more decisive when deciding to run and when deciding to slide. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

True but in Gannon's case he got pancaked by Goose in the pocket but broke his vertebrae running.  I would love to see Carr run more but he needs to learn to be more decisive when deciding to run and when deciding to slide. 

I agree about carr.

I’m actually curious how many serious qb injuries happen in the pocket vs on the run. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Gannon hurt his neck and retired as he was running up the middle

On 10/15/2022 at 8:42 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

I liked sweat too and I remember he was there for our late 1st iirc. 

I wanted DE/LB Josh Allen and would have double dipped with Sweat. Also would have double dipped at WR. Like Metcalf and Brown so if traded down with third 1st could have gotten both and maybe Jacobs with our 2nd. Probably wouldn't have gotten Maxx or Renfrow as triple dip may have been excessive use of player replacements. lol (Mack and Cooper)

On 10/18/2022 at 6:20 PM, Bitty 2.0 said:

Doesn't matter hits are hits. That's why you try to minimize them by staying in the pocket. If the QB can get an easy 1st then go for it but some of the hits QBs get running up the middle are crazy.

Hits can be very different.  Getting hit from the blind side is different from getting tackled from someone chasing you or a defender you see coming.  You do not minimize hits by staying in the pocket.  You minimize hits by being decisive and being smart and decisive about sliding.  If the play is not there get up field quickly and slide.  Carr is always trying to beat guys to the sideline.  Just go and get down quickly.  Worst thing that happens is they keep a LB close to the line to stop you but that will open up passing lanes.

42 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Hits can be very different.  Getting hit from the blind side is different from getting tackled from someone chasing you or a defender you see coming.  You do not minimize hits by staying in the pocket.  You minimize hits by being decisive and being smart and decisive about sliding.  If the play is not there get up field quickly and slide.  Carr is always trying to beat guys to the sideline.  Just go and get down quickly.  Worst thing that happens is they keep a LB close to the line to stop you but that will open up passing lanes.

Look at what happened to Cam. Hurt his shoulder and went from a top 5 QB to scrub in one play and no QB is bigger then Cam. Designed run plays for a QB is just too risky. If you want to run that play bring in a different QB like NO does.

46 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Look at what happened to Cam. Hurt his shoulder and went from a top 5 QB to scrub in one play and no QB is bigger then Cam. Designed run plays for a QB is just too risky. If you want to run that play bring in a different QB like NO does.

I said nothing about designed run plays.  Cam thought he could absorb more hits than he could and if I am being honest Cam was never a good passer and was a goal line vulture.  Now anyone's career can end on any play whether a QB is in the pocket or running.  Being a smart and decisive QB will mitigate the risk much more than saying he should stay in the pocket or he should run.  It is knowing when to do it and how.  Carr's biggest issue I have seen is being indecisive and gets caught between doing 2 different things.  Those are his brain fart moments.  Him breaking his ankle was just an unlucky play that does happen sometimes.  Him breaking his vertebrae was him awkwardly getting spun around while trying to get away from the pass rush.  On that play it is another example of his linemen not maintaining blocks.  Lee Smith is the only player that maintains his block while Jackson is the only other player within 5 yards of someone to block.

Carr’s issue is not being able to extend plays very well like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson (not anymore), Aaron Rodgers, Justin Herbert, etc. Even Trevor Lawrence is much better than Carr at this. And Rodgers was the best at this before all the elite play extenders came in like Mahomes and Allen which is now the play extension era of football. 

Carr is absolutely terrible running around the pocket and extending a play. He had zero agility (good straight line speed but he’s as agile as my grandma), and his pocket awareness is dreadful. 

You can argue Tom Brady can’t extend plays, well Tom Brady has the greatest pocket presence ever. One or Carr’s weakpoints. 

No one is saying we need a running QB like Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. We need an elite play extender like the guys I just mentioned. The longer we go without one, the longer we will suffer. 

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr’s issue is not being able to extend plays very well like Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson (not anymore), Aaron Rodgers, Justin Herbert, etc. Even Trevor Lawrence is much better than Carr at this. And Rodgers was the best at this before all the elite play extenders came in like Mahomes and Allen which is now the play extension era of football. 

Carr is absolutely terrible running around the pocket and extending a play. He had zero agility (good straight line speed but he’s as agile as my grandma), and his pocket awareness is dreadful. 

You can argue Tom Brady can’t extend plays, well Tom Brady has the greatest pocket presence ever. One or Carr’s weakpoints. 

No one is saying we need a running QB like Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. We need an elite play extender like the guys I just mentioned. The longer we go without one, the longer we will suffer. 

While I agree with most of this. Why don't you take this up with the Raider front office? Send them a letter or email or whatever. It seems like you are trying to convince the forum of something that it has no control over.

FYI - The Raiders better not draft a Kyler Murray / Russell Wilson clone. Being under 6'0 takes away their ability to see the middle of the field. Once their mobility declines, you get results like this year's Broncos.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

These types don't grow on trees. And there is more to their game than being able to extend plays. They have accuracy, arm talent, poise, etc. They are the best of the best and were drafted high in the draft for their intangibles. 

There are a lot of mobile guys who can make play off script that are not good QBs in every draft. 

You want that type QB, you have to draft him early. That wasn't going to happen with Carr in the fold, trying to build around him. Now that he's older, maybe McD and Z look at that position earlier where you find the QB with all the intangibles. 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

These types don't grow on trees. And there is more to their game than being able to extend plays. They have accuracy, arm talent, poise, etc. They are the best of the best and were drafted high in the draft for their intangibles. 

There are a lot of mobile guys who can make play off script that are not good QBs in every draft. 

You want that type QB, you have to draft him early. That wasn't going to happen with Carr in the fold, trying to build around him. Now that he's older, maybe McD and Z look at that position earlier where you find the QB with all the intangibles. 

This is why I left off guys like Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts. They can do the play extension but flawed as passers. 

11 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is why I left off guys like Kyler Murray and Jalen Hurts. They can do the play extension but flawed as passers. 

So what's you solution for the Raiders to get that type player?

Everyone wants to get rid of car for the unicorn mobile passer with all the intangibles but nobody seems to have a real answer for how to draft that guy.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

So what's you solution for the Raiders to get that type player?

Everyone wants to get rid of car for the unicorn mobile passer with all the intangibles but nobody seems to have a real answer for how to draft that guy.

Spend the next few years losing and trading every possible asset away to get 5 picks in the top 15 and draft every QB in a draft, and hope and pray you don't wind up with Sam Darnold, Carson Wentz, EJ Manuel, Paxton Lynch, and Jameis Winston. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1