Jets hire Adam Gase as HC

barnaby8787

54 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Another guy who isn't with the team lol

He drove them off the team, is what I'm saying. I see you were responding to someone else though.

There were reports of many in the Miami locker room no longer respecting Gase. Most of them implied it was beacuse they knew they would not need to answer to him at the season's end. He seemed to be well liked in general though by the locker room. There are certain players he tends to clash with, though. Most of them probably deserve being called out but it can be a detriment if that player's talent exceeds Gase's ability to coach nobodies.

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

He beat us and he beat the Pats at home too. Knowing the division well is a big deal IMO.

Not unimportant: Gase had a 5-1 record against the Jets and went 3-3 against the Pats. 

He went 15-21 against all other teams.

2 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He definitely overachieved. Dolphins fans complaining about Gase don't understand the dire state of our roster. Gase obviously had a terrific 10-6 campaign with a healthy Tannehill. But since then, he's not had a quality starting QB. Obviously last year was Cutler and this year Tannehill was in and out of the lineup (and playing hurt the last few games). His ability to get the most out of a lackluster bunch is what makes me like him.

He did, against teams like Chicago and New England. Then again, he terribly under-achieved against objectively inferior teams far too often playing down to his level of competition.

During his tenure in Miami, Gase had a far-inferior point differential than Philbin did during his milque-toast reign.

He also brought in coaches like Chris Foerster (cocaine guy), and a young, unproven DC in Matt Burke who basically bombed.

He vouched for Cutler, who bombed, even though they had a decently-paid backup QB in Matt Moore already on the roster. He vouched for Osweiler, who bombed outside of his career game against the league's best defense (very odd). His hand-picked backups (Doughty, Fales) were non-factors.

He couldn't sort out the QB spot, basically told the owner to kick rocks when he suggested he use some assets for a better backup QB, had no control over his defense (remember the Reshad Jones benching? Pathetic), his offense was constantly getting drive-killing penalties, and he couldn't convert 3rd downs as a play caller saying (this is a quote) "We don't really have many plays for 3rd and long". What??

58 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Which players, other than Landry who isn't with the team anymore?

Landry, Ajayi, Jordan Philips, Kenyan Drake, Ju'Wuan James, DeVante Parker, Frank Gore (according to some reports). Those are the ones we are aware of. James (a good RT - one Miami should retain this offseason) basically came out and said that his desire to re-sign in Miami would be dependent on "who would still be there". Twitter also found a very obvious burner account by James that had been bashing him all season.

List of players who vouched for Gase after his firing: Albert Wilson

Look, he is smart. He has made good adjustments and shown offensive creativity. He plays good teams hard and wins close games.

If he is successful in Miami, it's because they give him a good DC, get him an OL coach that can actually teach blockers to pick up stunts, and checks his own ego just a bit. I like egotistical coaches, but eventually you gotta back it up.

Gase will certainly get his chance to prove people wrong (partly myself included who question the move).  Rumor was it was Gase and Monken as the top 2 according to reports and Monken was my top choice so really hope Gase does well and Monken doesn't go off to be the next great HC.

Darnold was PFF's highest graded QB from weeks 14-17 so lets hope he can build off that.  With a top 3 pick, 100M in cap and a 21 year old QB trending in the right direction he'll have every chance to do so.  

People say Gase overachieved like he sat in the corner and sucked his thumb while the management made the decisions. He had major power in this organization. He a lot of say in who we signed and drafted. The roster is just as much his fault as anybody. They built the roster in his image. But even then, the roster isn't as bad as people are making them out to be. It's a .500 roster that has pieces in place. They don't magically go 7-9 every year. If the roster is so bad that they are really a 2-14 team in disguise, why have they been a .500 team competing in December every year for a decade? The answer is because the roster has been decent, but has lacked two key components. A head coach and a QB. Adam Gase just ended up being another Joe Philbin and Tony Sparano. He couldn't get the team over the hurdle like the coaches before him. A decent roster that just needed to be improved on and one that needs a franchise QB. Instead, there was no progress at all. 

This has no impact on the Jets as it's a different situation. I'm just answering people who say he overachieved like he was a victim of the management. 

Archived