Tathan Martell transferring to Miami

naptownskinsfan

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Only if they graduate and their new school has a graduate program their current school doesn’t offer. 

Jucos are not a part Of the NCAA process tho. 

They the student athlete truly cared they would transfer to the D2 or D3 level, that way they don’t have to sit out a year. 

why u gotta bootlick this hard

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I wasn't whining about Bama or Clemson. I was hyped for that game.

I was making fun of you for somehow thinking that CFB doesn't already have super teams. To be fair, I own some of that because I'm so infrequently serious in my responses to you that it's easy to get lost in the sarcasm.

Yeah they have like 2 super teams that are a result of recruiting and coaching, the way things are to be done. I'm at least glad you didn't try to argue against the fact that super teams are bad for CFB b/c you'd only make yourself look more foolish.

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The answer to your question is that there are already super teams in CFB. That's why your former head coach had to invent a brain tumor that makes him delete his cell phone contents every 20 minutes so he could leave OSU.

A different, slightly less sarcastic answer to your question is that the players aren't responsible for parity. They're students, and should be able to transfer like any other student unless they're locked down with a multi-year contract. That's how all of society works. And, honestly, super teams don't make a bad CFB product. We've gone in every year now with at most 15 teams that are actually capable of winning the national title, and ratings, revenue, popularity, it's all through the roof. The idea you're implying here, that CFB is better when the worst team in a conference has more than a puncher's chance against a behemoth, hasn't actually been proven right.

Something you said caught my attention. Is there any sport that has seen a ratings decline....?

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

IIRC, hockey never came back from their lockout.

Hockey has been woefully mismanaged. It's also a niche sport since you gotta be rich by default to play it professionally.

Also NBA ratings dropped this year overall despite doing higher on "event" games like Christmas day and the like.

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Also yes, we all know that if this was the super talented QB transferring TOO Ohio State that this discussion doesn't happen.

Don’t be jealous that Day is already out performing Harbs...

20 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Once, confirmed 😂 😂 

Yeah, seems like years ago, some young punk from scUM was taken in the late rounds by the Patriots. I laughed and said what a waste of a late round pick. Kid ended up being Tom "MFing" Brady. Who do you think I was talking about? 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

20 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah he is, the NCAA has spent thousands of hours in court arguing that football players are normal students. The only thing that makes him different is that he gets a scholarship, but students with academic or private or any of the other kinds of scholarships transfer all the time without any penalty. 

Hell, even "student athletes" transfer all the time without penalty as long as they happen to graduate that year, with no reason whatsoever.

What's especially hilarious about this whole "it will ruin the game if we have powerhouse schools" is that the exact same system already exists with JUCOs, and no NCAA power wants to remove that process (which is why the grad transfer process exists, since the NCAA has yet to be able to figure out how to specifically let players leave from JUCOs).

They're students. They aren't under contract, nor are they being paid. It's absolutely none of our business whether they should transfer or not, and if they're that integral to the entertainment value of the product that they're transfers should be restricted only by contracts. You know, how the rest of this goddamn country works.

A scholarship is absolutely a contract.  Part of that contract is abiding by NCAA rules, of which includes the rule that transfers have to sit out a year unless they can prove a specific hardship.

1 minute ago, THE DUKE said:

A scholarship is absolutely a contract.  Part of that contract is abiding by NCAA rules, of which includes the rule that transfers have to sit out a year unless they can prove a specific hardship.

Fair, I should have specifically noted they aren't under an employment agreement or something like that.

As far as I'm concerned, if the way around this is that a kid has to hire some traffic ticket lawyer to say someone said something racist to him or that his coach was mean and the hardship is proven, the rule is effectively dead, even if it wasn't literally struck down. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

You could even argue they're being paid. How much do they pay for their educations opposed to your standard college student who just signs up to go to school? It may not be a direct monetary transfer but they are absolutely getting something for free that normally costs a lot of money.

Archived