Bears interested in Kareem Hunt?

malagabears

Why Bears dropped the ball not claiming him off waivers.  Now he is a FA.

Maybe there was some NFL wink wink thing that said nobody do it in this case. 

There would have been a huge short term media outcry if some team grabbed him right away.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

@malagabears All things being equal I think he comes to Bears because of Nagy and Bears as a contender, but I think it will ultimately be whoever has best monetary offer.  

He isn't coming on some steep discount because Nagy made a phone call. 

If you think any team is going to offer him much money in terms of guarantees then I think you will be surprised.

Wherever Hunt ends up signing he will likely get around the veteran minimum with lots of incentives to earn more money.

And one of the reasons no teams claimed him through waivers is because no one is sure how many games he will be suspended for once the NFL concludes their investigation on him.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

There would have been a huge short term media outcry if some team grabbed him right away.  

Did you see the ****show with the R-words when they claimed reuben foster off waivers? not a single team was going to claim hunt when kc cut him

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

That's my mindset and why I said he should be claimed when we was going to be released. There would have been an outcry, it would have diedout, and the Bears would have a dynamic player. Not taking him then might be something that bites the Bears later. 

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Did you see the ****show with the R-words when they claimed reuben foster off waivers? not a single team was going to claim hunt when kc cut him

They are different cases, Foster was actually arrested and charged. Hunt has not. Foster was a legitimate DV issue unlike Hunt. Foster was within 3-4 days of the incident, while Hunts was over months before, etc.

I understand teams not signing him, but to me the cases aren't that comparable IMO. 

EDIT - Not sure how I quoted you twice. Lol

3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

If you think any team is going to offer him much money in terms of guarantees then I think you will be surprised.

Wherever Hunt ends up signing he will likely get around the veteran minimum with lots of incentives to earn more money.

And one of the reasons no teams claimed him through waivers is because no one is sure how many games he will be suspended for once the NFL concludes their investigation on him.

He might not get a lot, but he is still going to wherever he gets the most.  

4 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Anybody talking about Foster now?

It's 48 hours of crazy rage then next issue.  Twitter world.  

32 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That's my mindset and why I said he should be claimed when we was going to be released. There would have been an outcry, it would have diedout, and the Bears would have a dynamic player. Not taking him then might be something that bites the Bears later. 

They are different cases, Foster was actually arrested and charged. Hunt has not. Foster was a legitimate DV issue unlike Hunt. Foster was within 3-4 days of the incident, while Hunts was over months before, etc.

I understand teams not signing him, but to me the cases aren't that comparable IMO. 

EDIT - Not sure how I quoted you twice. Lol

This.  Except take out the might.

Bears are either going to not get him or pay more than they would have.   Either way they would have been better off taking him off waiver.

On 1/25/2019 at 4:20 PM, dll2000 said:

He might not get a lot, but he is still going to wherever he gets the most.  

Maybe but I still don't think the difference in what he'll be offered from the highest bidder is going to be monumental over other offers. 

He's a good talent that could thrive anywhere, but quickest way to rehab his value IMO would be to play in a system he's already familiar with. The two teams that present that are Bears and Eagles. 

@WindyCity right? The interesting part though was reading quotes from people that knew him that said he never had an issue like this in his youth.

Shocking that an athlete who allegedly gets called racial slurs, spit on and slapped loses his temper. Shocker.

Goodell said that he expected that investigation would conclude “soon” and that there has been a “tremendous amount of progress” over the last month or so. Hunt can sign with a team, but he’d be unable to play as long as he’s on the exempt list and still faces a suspension.

Archived