Raiders Defense

Rolni

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

My issue with the pick was that Mayock said "he's the guy" and that they would take him wherever their first pick was. I think we just got unlucky that QW and Bosa were both gone. That was my biggest issue, winning that useless Az game. I feel like his length and power will be more effective once he has time in an NFL weight program. Crosby is just a freak. I have no idea how he's been so impactful as a rookie. His last 6 or 7 games, his pressure rate has been Mack-like.

Agere. I understand trying to set the tone with character but we really needed to knock that pick out of the park value-wise. Even if he turns out to be Carlos Dunlap 2.0 then is that worthy of a top 5 pick?

19 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Agere. I understand trying to set the tone with character but we really needed to knock that pick out of the park value-wise. Even if he turns out to be Carlos Dunlap 2.0 then is that worthy of a top 5 pick?

Considering the rest of our class, I'll take the consistent good starter/8-10 sack guy. It's fine with me. Mayock is trying to build a patriot like team. High floor players who fit the scheme. Therefore I'm looking more at the aggregate results of his classes as opposed to "how many guys are living up to their exact draft position".

6 hours ago, reddevil said:

No. It's that NASCAR front. Jordan is doing what Guenther had Key doing on 3rd downs. Cle isn't in on most 3rd downs. It's usually:

Maxx---Hurst---Jordan---Mayowa

Pg really likes de/lb in the 3t last year I remember he had Ben leber at 3t. He likes to have the versatility of having a guy that can rush or drop into coverage. He evolved from the double a gap lb. cause of personnel or new formations idk

16 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Il take Carlos Dunlap 10 out of 10 times if that’s what he turns into. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm surprised Benson had that few.

Again only going by snaps count but Will Compton had 20 snaps (most for him this season so far) while Whitehead and Morrow played every snap. So that means we were in our 43 base more than usual. Mayowa isn't playing in the base, that's probably why he had so few snaps last week.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yes because most top 10 picks are lucky to become even pro bowl players when you actually look at it.

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

We were in very few obvious pass downs. 

The defense looked really bad.  I stayed away from the good, bad, and ugly thread because I had no idea where to begin.  I was thinking at the beginning of the year that Cable was the coach on the hot seat but I am starting to think it will be Guenther.  Time will tell but it is hard to criticize with only one week 1 starter in the back 7 still playing.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

The defense looked really bad.  I stayed away from the good, bad, and ugly thread because I had no idea where to begin.  I was thinking at the beginning of the year that Cable was the coach on the hot seat but I am starting to think it will be Guenther.  Time will tell but it is hard to criticize with only one week 1 starter in the back 7 still playing.

Good comparison actually. Cable goes from hot seat, everyone wants him gone (myself included) to solid coach. He dealt with injuries all last season. Now, his rookie LT matures. He gets Incognito and Brown and now his unit is fierce. Better talent = better results

So maybe be patient with Guenther?  He's dealt with injuries and suspension to his team captain. He's got rookies playing all over the field learning on the fly. So maybe let them develop and add some FA talent to his unit before we case him off.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Good comparison actually. Cable goes from hot seat, everyone wants him gone (myself included) to solid coach. He dealt with injuries all last season. Now, his rookie LT matures. He gets Incognito and Brown and now his unit is fierce. Better talent = better results

So maybe be patient with Guenther?  He's dealt with injuries and suspension to his team captain. He's got rookies playing all over the field learning on the fly. So maybe let them develop and add some FA talent to his unit before we case him off.

I am although there are others I like more than him as we are discussing in the other thread.  I really do not like his scheme but in the end if it works then who am I to judge.

3 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Yes because most top 10 picks are lucky to become even pro bowl players when you actually look at it.

7 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

Il take Carlos Dunlap 10 out of 10 times if that’s what he turns into. 

Fair points. If Cle can manage 7+ sacks a year, play the run well, add leadership then I'm happy. Would be great if he could slide inside sometimes like Tuck used to as well.

20 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Fair points. If Cle can manage 7+ sacks a year, play the run well, add leadership then I'm happy. Would be great if he could slide inside sometimes like Tuck used to as well.

He needs an offseason to pick up those sorta things. I'm super torn on adding a DE in the draft. Also depends on how Mayowa and Jordan finish out.