Raiders Defense

Rolni

I don't think Nassib is going to be a significantly better player than he was with the Bucs but he's a more complete player than the guys we had to use last season. He's a better pass rusher than Mauro and a better run defender than Mayowa. He isn't limited to one role. And if a starter is out, he can step into his spot. Even if Ferrell and Crosby stay healthy, they won't be on the field every play and Nassib will get his fair share of snaps.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I remember and liked Nassib coming out and the more I read about him, the more I like the signing. As you say, he was raw and didn't arrive in a great situation. If anyone is primed to make a jump then its probably him 😀

Absolutely.  He’s at that age 26-27 season where DEs usually peak.  And I think he’s following that projectory, based on his rawness coming into the league and the steady progression of back to back 6+ sack seasons.  I could see him ripping off 8-10 sacks.  I don’t think that’s a crazy projection.

So heading into the draft what does our depth chart look like?

DE - Ferrell | Nassib 

DT - Collins | Hurst

DT - Hankins | Hall

DE - Crosby | Key

WLB - Littleton | Morrow

MLB - Kwiatkoski | Wilber

SLB - Lee

CB - Apple | Lawson | Nixon

CB - Mullen | Joyner | Johnson

SS - Abram | Heath

FS - Harris | Leavitt 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

DE - Ferrell | Nassib 

DT - Collins | Hurst

DT - Hankins | Hall

DE - Crosby | Key

WLB - Littleton | Morrow

SLB - Lee

SS - Abram | Heath

FS - Harris | Leavitt 

With a couple of impactful rookies we might have the makings of a decent D there, however, it does show how vulnerable we are to injury if we dont get some good rookie contributors. Imagine if Crosby, Kwit and Mullen go down, not a pretty thought at all and hopefully a rookie CB, some LB depth and another depth rusher can be brought on board.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

DE - Ferrell | Nassib 

DT - Collins | Hurst

DT - Hankins | Hall

DE - Crosby | Key

WLB - Littleton | Morrow

SLB - Lee

SS - Abram | Heath

FS - Harris | Leavitt 

I wish we would move Joyner to FS and draft or sign a slot CB.  I feel much better about our front 7 going into this season.  With a healthy Crosby and hopeful an improved Ferrell we should get some added pressure.  Collins pushing through the middle should help our DEs out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Maliek Collins was one of 5 defensive linemen in the NFL last season who were double teamed on more than 66% of their rushes last season. Drawing similar attention to All-Pro's Chris Jones and Aaron Donald. 

EUSiLwkU0AAM_Wj?format=jpg&name=medium

Wow I didn’t realize Collins was doubled teamed so much.  I really think Collins is going to open up the edge rushers and get penetration up the middle when they decide not to double him (and sometimes even if they do).

25 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I wish we would move Joyner to FS and draft or sign a slot CB.  I feel much better about our front 7 going into this season.  With a healthy Crosby and hopeful an improved Ferrell we should get some added pressure.  Collins pushing through the middle should help our DEs out.

Meh on Joyner moving to FS it’s evident the staff don’t see him there given Harris’ comments and the lack of moving him there last year. It’s a pickup that is holding us back on recruitment and cap space. 

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

With a couple of impactful rookies we might have the makings of a decent D there, however, it does show how vulnerable we are to injury if we dont get some good rookie contributors. Imagine if Crosby, Kwit and Mullen go down, not a pretty thought at all and hopefully a rookie CB, some LB depth and another depth rusher can be brought on board.

This is why I’m still quite high on drafting either Murray or Queen at 19. They would  play in our starting D in place of Lee and would be 3 down players if either Littleton or Kwit we’re out at all. The depth their is atrocious.

It would then leave us the 3rd round to add depth/potential to our DB group where there happens to be a number of players to pick in that range rather than reach at 19 for fear of missing one of the late 1st/early 2nd guys. Could always combine 2 3rds to move up if a Johnson, Terrell, Gladney type is still there in the 2nd.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

This is why I’m still quite high on drafting either Murray or Queen at 19. They would  play in our starting D in place of Lee and would be 3 down players if either Littleton or Kwit we’re out at all. The depth their is atrocious.

It would then leave us the 3rd round to add depth/potential to our DB group where there happens to be a number of players to pick in that range rather than reach at 19 for fear of missing one of the late 1st/early 2nd guys. Could always combine 2 3rds to move up if a Johnson, Terrell, Gladney type is still there in the 2nd.

We can't be drafting in the 1st for a player who's going to see 25% of the snaps unless someone is injured. If we draft a LB at 19, Kwit becomes a 2 down player. I doubt that's their plan for him. Depth at LB can be added later in the draft (and maybe sign another one in FA, Bradham?). I don't think Queen and Murray are better players than some of the CBs. I'm not that high on Queen anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

that article I posted in the draft thread was a good read, and had good points for the "other" lber that might go late 1rst early 2nd. drafting baun might be the most "versatile" way to go.

Do we really NEED another LB though? A corner or free safety could have a much bigger impact in year 1. For once I want to have a secondary that isn't a liability. Where we count on guys to actually make plays and not extend drives because of stupid holding calls/forgetting coverages and getting toasted over the top.

1 minute ago, oakdb36 said:

We can't be drafting in the 1st for a player who's going to see 25% of the snaps unless someone is injured. If we draft a LB at 19, Kwit becomes a 2 down player. I doubt that's their plan for him. Depth at LB can be added later in the draft (and maybe sign another one in FA, Bradham?). I don't think Queen and Murray are better players than some of the CBs. I'm not that high on Queen anyway.

Trading down from 19 to get a corner is my play personally. We can use whatever picks we gain to trade up into the 2nd...

• Like 1