Raiders Defense

Rolni

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:
13 hours ago, Dessie said:

More irrelevant stats 🤦‍♂️,  one was a TD reception. 

Seeing as you like to go by stats, Hankins was the top rated D-Lineman after week 7 in run defense. 

Expand  

If only the NFL had a 7 week season, he finished 38th in run defense according to PFF and 71st overall, while he was 37th in 2019

Not really sure how you could have watched our team play in 2020 and not think Hankins was a very good run defender. Great discipline, held up the PoA really well, strong against double teams, admittedly he wasn't in the backfield making plays but that wasn't really his job. Of course, Crosby was regularly over pursuing, erratic setting an edge and Collins was constantly getting washed out or blown backwards ( he seemed to be on the floor with regularity) so there were always gaps there. Ferrell was good when he was in but he was in and out too. The chain always breaks at the weakest link with regard to the run defence I feel.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Not really sure how you could have watched our team play in 2020 and not think Hankins was a very good run defender. Great discipline, held up the PoA really well, strong against double teams, admittedly he wasn't in the backfield making plays but that wasn't really his job. Of course, Crosby was regularly over pursuing, erratic setting an edge and Collins was constantly getting washed out or blown backwards ( he seemed to be on the floor with regularity) so there were always gaps there. Ferrell was good when he was in but he was in and out too. The chain always breaks at the weakest link with regard to the run defence I feel.  

Apparently PFF begs to differ lol 

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Well it's all on film for anyone to see for themselves and make their own mind up 😁

Oh I know I agree I was just being sarcastic. I think it's pretty well documented how much I SMH at PFF and how I talk about what the film shows on each player individually player.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darbsk said:

If Ferrell and Hankins are such great run defenders why was our run defense so terrible? 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

If Ferrell and Hankins are such great run defenders why was our run defense so terrible? 

Because you also had Crosby and and Collins there also.  Not only that it looked like Guenther had players doing things that put them in bad spots or the players where just out there guessing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

See above posts, you can't be that niaive, or are you just being argumentative? 🙂

Ferrell wasn't fit all games of course and he was good not elite, Crosby was erratic to say the least plus Collins was a liability. As I said my post, run defence is only as strong as the weakest link IMO and we had a few. Littleton wasn't great and looked to be misused as the strong side backer and Morrow is a poor run defender but good cover guy. The corners missed a fair bit too, especially Arnette (who in fairness was nursing an injury) but 'my boy' Lawson is a great run defender 😁. Abram is a missile.........a scud missile (wildly inaccurate) and Harris is a poor run defender. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why was there such a huge drop off between 2019 and 2020?

Could be a lot of reasons.  Our opponents, Hall vs Collins, Crosby being more aggressive, teams figuring out Guenther,  total collapse loses where a team can just keep running the ball to win,...  2019 we had 5 games where we gave up 100 on the ground.  Last year it was the opposite.  Maybe the players gave up on Guenther.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why was there such a huge drop off between 2019 and 2020?

1, justin ellis and pj hall are both remarkably better than maleik collins lol. 
2. Josh Mauro is a way better rush defender then crosby, who was in on run downs. 
3. Karl Joseph was actually a very good run game player for us. 
4. Littleton wasnt the greatest this past year, maybe our lb unit regressed in the run?
5. Vontez was actually good in the 4(?) games he played for us

We had a lot of different players from 2019 compared to 2020. 
2019, we really didnt have much talent anywhere, but players who could at least play the run game lol. 
We tried to switch it up, and get players to impact the pass game, Collins and Littleton come to mind, and it really hurt us. 

Also, it takes time in general for units to gel, and we had just turned over a lot of stuff on our D with no OTAs, it is tough for units to just start out strong. 

But in sumary, id say those are some major differences, factors to why it was better in 2019.

But the biggest one is probably, Teams just realized in 2019, they could just have their way with us through the air, so just did that instead haha

• Like 1

just saw the other two answers, as well and agree, on D, its all about playing your role. 
Abram and Crosby come off as undisciplined, and if they over pursuit on the same side, it could leave a massive hole on our D. 

Crosby was thrown into the starting role last year, and I love the guy, but he was not ready for it. 

Run D was allowing 113yds/G through the first 11 games, 153yds/G in the last 5. The first 11 games were already a drop off from 2019 (98/G) but 113/G was still average. 153/G was bottom of the league stuff.

In those final 5 games, Ferrell missed the last 3 and played 7 snaps in a 4th. Vickers started 1 game at DT and Hurst had his only 3 starts (Collins missed 3 games). Nassib was also inactive for 2 of those 5 (gave up 200+ in each of those).

So i guess Collins was better against the run than any other 3T on that roster (tallest midget though).

And Nassib was unsurprisingly a much better run defending DE than Key or Beasley. In the final 3 games with Nassib back in the lineup, they were at 116/G so not much of a difference from the beginning of the season. Back to back 200+ allowed when Nassib was inactive is the huge drop off. Guenther was fired after that 2nd one.

Edited by oakdb36
  • Like 2