πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

What did he say or do now?

Him and his wife were some of the many people that got jabaited by an anti-trans post that was untrue about Women’s boxing in the Olympics.

Not really something we need to get into further.

3 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Him and his wife were some of the many people that got jabaited by an anti-trans post that was untrue about Women’s boxing in the Olympics.

Not really something we need to get into further.

I'd comment on the situation but haven't seen nor read the comments?

As of now given the last 2 posts, I'llΒ  say WGAF! Not me!

On 8/1/2024 at 8:58 PM, Nabbs4u said:

I'd comment on the situation but haven't seen nor read the comments?

As of now given the last 2 posts, I'llΒ  say WGAF! Not me!

Not surprised by his stupid twitter comments, he is truly an idiot. He should not be a team captain again. You should not be a captain when you are in the league as many years as he has and still behave like a rookie. He's been a good player for us but he's not a good leader. For God's sake, stop doing in season podcasts. Nobody is watching that BS. How about focus on winning instead of getting on your podcast talking about "the team played bad but I played well." Making him a captain is not a good look.Β 

7 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Not surprised by his stupid twitter comments, he is truly an idiot. He should not be a team captain again. You should not be a captain when you are in the league as many years as he has and still behave like a rookie. He's been a good player for us but he's not a good leader. For God's sake, stop doing in season podcasts. Nobody is watching that BS. How about focus on winning instead of getting on your podcast talking about "the team played bad but I played well." Making him a captain is not a good look.Β 

Haven't seen his comments but I do agree he shouldn't be captain. That last sentence you mentioned sums it up pretty much.Β 

• Like 1

Don't the players themselves Vote for Captain? If Slay is chosen yet again by his peers, that's all that needs to be said on the subject.

As for the podcast stuff, sure didn't bother people when the Kelce's were doing it last year, didn't stop Travis from winning a SB?

It's seems like it's only a issue because of how last season ended?

Β 

Once again, What was his comments?

41 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Don't the players themselves Vote for Captain? If Slay is chosen yet again by his peers, that's all that needs to be said on the subject.

As for the podcast stuff, sure didn't bother people when the Kelce's were doing it last year, didn't stop Travis from winning a SB?

Β 

I'm very suspicious as to how the Captains are chosen on this team. There is players input but we know there has been cases in which some players are imposed as captains, as it was reported the last few years of Carson's time here. I'm more inclined to believe they're assigned more than they are chosen directly by the players.Β 

56 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Β 

After losing to the f-ing Cowboys - "Overall the game was great by me, but as a team ain't play worth sh**" No, that's not what I want to hear from a so-called team captain after losing to our arch rival.Β  I believe he said something about playing basically a perfect game after a loss. That may have been after the Cowboys too. If it was a different week then that's worse because it'd be two separate incidents.Β 

Also, I had an issue with Kelce doing that podcast as well but at least his podcast is relevant. Slay is just basically youtubing into the void. Nobody cares what he has to say. I don't care if Travis did it and still won with Mahomes. Last time I checked we don't have Mahomes or Andy Reid and the Eagles don't need any extra potential distractions.

48 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

I'm very suspicious as to how the Captains are chosen on this team. There is players input but we know there has been cases in which some players are imposed as captains, as it was reported the last few years of Carson's time here. I'm more inclined to believe they're assigned more than they are chosen directly by the players.Β 

Google search...

Β 

The Philadelphia Eagles' head coach typically allows players to vote for their team captains, rather than choosing them.Β Captains are usually named after the preseason ends and before the regular season begins

Β 

The EaglesΒ took a team vote for the nine permanent captains for the season, which the team's official website just announced.Sep 5, 2023

Β 

I'm not sure if this is a Sirianni thing he's chosen to do for the past few seasons or not? I'm fairly certain the players choose thier Captains . Now if two players were tied could the staff make the choice for them..., sure. Either way if Slay is chosen again that shows what "THEY" do or don'tΒ  think of him as a leader in that building.Β  "Our" opinions as fans, mean absolutelyΒ  nothing!Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Β 

Why say "once again" when that's the first time you asked for the quote? Saying that implies that you asked before and I was avoiding giving you the quote because it didn't exist or something. Now I provide the quote and you can't be bothered to respond/want to skip over my comment. Is the quote Slay gave becoming of a team captain and 10 year vet?

Players voting for captain just means that it's a popularity contest. Doesn't mean these players are nominating quality candidates for team captain. If a reputable head coach chose the team captains of their team I'd be inclined to believe they were deserving. Team captains being chosen by 24 year old players who are more likely to be awestruck by big name vets or impressed by personality characteristics that aren't necessary or are not conducive to being a team leader doesn't elicit that same level of respect. Certainly, the fact that the players are responsible for choosing the team captains is not some trump card that shuts down the entire argument like you propose/want it to be. Honestly, it helps to explain how someone so undeserving of being a team captain is able to achieve that title. I assume while he was in Detroit the HC chose the captains because he never had that title until he came to the Eagles where apparently the players get that responsibility.

Furthermore, it's irrelevant that us as fans don't have control over who the team captains are. We don't have any say over anything they do as a team. That doesn't stop us from commenting on what they do on this football message board.Β  Our opinions mean nothing so why even engage in discussion about anything related to the Eagles?

P.S. - Why (in your last post) are "You" putting quotations around certain pronouns and capitalizing them?Β 

5 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

Why say "once again" when that's the first time you asked for the quote?

Instead of being. A smart *** ,look back a page and you'll find the answer you're looking for.Β 

Edited by Nabbs4u

I saw a story on one of those Bleacher Report affiliates of a preseason All-NFC East team offense and I thought it was bad, so I thought I'd make my own:

• QB: Dak Prescott
    • HM: Jalen Hurts
  • RB: Saquon Barkley
    • HM: Devin Singletary
  • WR: AJ Brown, Terry McLaurin, Ceedee Lamb (slot)
    • HM: Devonta Smith, Malik Nabers
  • TE: Dallas Goedert
    • HM: Jake Ferguson
  • LT: Andrew Thomas
    • HM: Jordan Mailata
  • LG: Tyler Smith
    • HM: Landon Dickerson
  • C : Tyler Biadasz
    • HM: Cam Jurgens
  • RG: Zack Martin
    • HM: Sam Cosmi
  • RT: Lane Johnson
    • HM: Terence Steele

Commanders: 2

Cowboys: 4

Eagles: 4

Giants: 1

What stands out is how weak this division is all the sudden at some spots. No standout C, very low on talent at TE, and very low on talent at RB. I'm also surprised that the Eagles only came out on top at one spot on the OL. Their strength on the OL comes more from the unit as a whole and not having any weak links than individual players (which is noticeable if you see that they at least make the HM for 4/5 OL spots). Cowboys take 2/5 OL spots, and also have a former player in another. WR position is insanely strong. Even if Malik Nabers has the season I think he will, I'd be willing to hear the argument for excluding him in favor of the 3 guys I have above him right now.

That also makes me want to a defense. I originally wanted to go 12 players to include 3 off-ball LBs as well as a nickel, but after looking at the LB talent in this division, let's just go nickel and 2 off-ball LB.

• EDGE: Micah Parsons, Brian Burns
    • HM: Tank Lawrence, Kayvon Thibodeaux
  • iDL: Dexter Lawrence, Jonathan Allen
    • HM: Da'Ron Payne, Jalen Carter
  • LB: Bobby Okereke, Devin White
    • HM: Frankie Luvu? Bobby Wagner?
  • CB: Trevon Diggs, Daron Bland, Jourdan Lewis (nickel)
    • HM: Darius Slay, Tae Banks
  • S: CJGJ, Malik Hooker
    • Blankenship? Maddox? Chinn?

Commanders: 1

Cowboys: 5

Eagles: 2

Giants: 3

The defensive front in this division is absurdly strong. Players like Bryce Huff, Josh Sweat, Mazi Smith, Jordan Davis, and Brandon Graham don't even make honorable mention. CB is relatively strong as well, but there are a few interesting notes there-

1. The Eagles have a good group, but it is comprised entirely of good players who are pretty clearly past their prime (Slay, Bradberry) and promising rookies who haven't even played yet (Mitchell, Dejean).
  2. The Cowboys get the nickel spot by default as they are the only team in the NFC East that aren't expected to have a rookie filling that spot (Washington has 2nd round rookie Mike Sainristil penciled in as their starting nickel, Giants 3rd round rookie Dru Phillips, Eagles 1st round rookie Quinyon Mitchell). Funnily enough, the Cowboys also have the best slot receiver in the division with Ceedee Lamb. The rest of us should be hoping he holds out all season and doesn't play, given the inexperienced player we'd have covering him.

Off-ball LB is pretty weak after Bobby O. Devin White kind of gets that 2nd spot by default, as he's the only other guy of some reknown there in the division that can actually move (sorry Bobby Wagner). I don't even think Luvu will actually play off-ball, so it's probably not even right to have him there. Cowboys and Commanders are very weak at LB. The division as a whole is weak at safety as well. With Xavier McKinney and Kam Curl leaving the division in FA, CJGJ gets the top spot by coming back. Malik Hooker kind of takes the 2nd spot by default. The Giants are insanely young at S, and in the secondary in general. I don't feel great about the S choices, meaning both in the ones I made and overall just the choices available, after CJGJ. Side note: why are Bradberry and Maddox listed as S on the Eagles depth chart? The biggest surprise for me in putting this together is that the Eagles don't have any winners on the defensive front. They're obviously very talented, but there are just more talented guys in the division.

Overall?

Commanders: 3 players

Cowboys: 9

Eagles: 6

Giants: 4

Conclusions:

Cowboys and Eagles are still clearly the class of this division. Giants and Commanders have ways to go. The Giants and the Commanders have pretty decent talent that they are hoping to eventually get to the class of the division (Nabers, Daniels, John Michael Schmitz, Tae Banks, Quan Martin, Tyler Nubin, Johnny Newton), but the Eagles also have a pretty talented bench of young players that are hoping to do the same, specifically in the secondary where they are poised to get weaker in the near future (Mitchell, Dejean, Ringo, Sydney Brown).Β 

I see a lot of people celebrating the demise of the Cowboys, but IMO, that is premature. Assuming Lamb and Micah come back and play this season, they should be just about as good as they were last year in 2024. Beyond that though, we could see a huge drop off. You have to assume they are able to keep at least one of Dak, Lamb, Parsons, but even losing 2/3 of those guys with nobody ready to step up and take their place would be huge for the prospects of that team. The Cowboys have kept their OL stocked, but their weapons pantry is pretty bare. If they keep all 3? They're fine. Losing 1, they'd probably manage. Losing 2 or 3 would be catastrophic. Dak gets a lot of crap, but he's still one of the better QBs in football.

Kind of the complete opposite of that, I do expect a regression from the Eagles this year from last year due to some key pieces actively leaving (Kelce, Reddick, Cox) and having to replace both their OC and DC again from last year, but they are MUCH better poised for the future than the Cowboys are. They've kept their pantries stocked like doomsday preppers. I don't know how well Jurgens is actually going to do at C, and there is no way he is as good as Kelce, but they've been prepping him specifically for that role for years now. Carter and Davis were prepped to take over and replace Cox's impact for years now as well. It's good team building, but I think they do take a small hit this year.

Washington is really weak on paper mainly across the board, with their strengths being at WR and iDL, and I am really down on their offensive coaching staff, but that all could be alleviated if Jayden Daniels is a guy. I wouldn't have picked him over Maye, and I think him behind that OL could be a disaster (seriously, why would the Commanders make no moves to improve there AND hire former Giants OL coach Bobby Johnson as their OL coach???), but he was the 2nd overall pick for a reason and there's a chance (probably small, but still) that he could be another CJ Stroud. That immediately would catapult the team's trajectory. For now, I think they make very little waves this year, Daniels improves throughout the year, and next year you see a Washington team that can compete.

Giants will go as far as Daniel Jones takes them, IMO. I think the OL will be much improved from last year. I think injuries across the board will go down (much better S&C coach, one who has proved before limits injuries, and also that bad luck can't happen two years in a row, right?), they've actually got a formidable WR corps this year, and Daboll is calling plays. The secondary is suspect, but the front 7 is one of the best in football. The pieces are there to win some games and maybe sneak into the playoffs again, but it all rests on Daniel Jones. If he plays well, even 2022 level, it should be a decent season. If he gets hurt again or plays poorly, the Giants will stink and they'll most likely be looking at another top-5, 10 pick next year. Of all the teams in the NFC East, I think the Giants should be the most improved from last year of all 4 teams given the injury situation last year and the improvements they made to the most important position groups in football (OL and DL). Again though, none of that matters if DJ is garbage.

Predictions:

Commanders: 0-6 in division, 3 wins outside division, 3-14 record

Cowboys: 4-2 in division, 7 wins outside division, 11-6 record

Eagles: 5-1 in division, 6 wins outside division, 11-6 record

Giants: 3-3 in division, 5 wins outside division, 8-9 record

52 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

That also makes me want to a defense. I originally wanted to go 12 players to include 3 off-ball LBs as well as a nickel, but after looking at the LB talent in this division, let's just go nickel and 2 off-ball LB.

• EDGE: Micah Parsons, Brian Burns
    • HM: Tank Lawrence, Kayvon Thibodeaux
  • iDL: Dexter Lawrence, Jonathan Allen
    • HM: Da'Ron Payne, Jalen Carter
  • LB: Bobby Okereke, Devin White
    • HM: Frankie Luvu? Bobby Wagner?
  • CB: Trevon Diggs, Daron Bland, Jourdan Lewis (nickel)
    • HM: Darius Slay, Tae Banks
  • S: CJGJ, Malik Hooker
    • Blankenship? Maddox? Chinn?

Commanders: 1

Cowboys: 5

Eagles: 2

Giants: 3

The defensive front in this division is absurdly strong. Players like Bryce Huff, Josh Sweat, Mazi Smith, Jordan Davis, and Brandon Graham don't even make honorable mention. CB is relatively strong as well, but there are a few interesting notes there-

1. The Eagles have a good group, but it is comprised entirely of good players who are pretty clearly past their prime (Slay, Bradberry) and promising rookies who haven't even played yet (Mitchell, Dejean).
  2. The Cowboys get the nickel spot by default as they are the only team in the NFC East that aren't expected to have a rookie filling that spot (Washington has 2nd round rookie Mike Sainristil penciled in as their starting nickel, Giants 3rd round rookie Dru Phillips, Eagles 1st round rookie Quinyon Mitchell). Funnily enough, the Cowboys also have the best slot receiver in the division with Ceedee Lamb. The rest of us should be hoping he holds out all season and doesn't play, given the inexperienced player we'd have covering him.

Off-ball LB is pretty weak after Bobby O. Devin White kind of gets that 2nd spot by default, as he's the only other guy of some reknown there in the division that can actually move (sorry Bobby Wagner). I don't even think Luvu will actually play off-ball, so it's probably not even right to have him there. Cowboys and Commanders are very weak at LB. The division as a whole is weak at safety as well. With Xavier McKinney and Kam Curl leaving the division in FA, CJGJ gets the top spot by coming back. Malik Hooker kind of takes the 2nd spot by default. The Giants are insanely young at S, and in the secondary in general. I don't feel great about the S choices, meaning both in the ones I made and overall just the choices available, after CJGJ. Side note: why are Bradberry and Maddox listed as S on the Eagles depth chart? The biggest surprise for me in putting this together is that the Eagles don't have any winners on the defensive front. They're obviously very talented, but there are just more talented guys in the division.

Jalen Carter is at least the 2nd best iDL in the division. Probably the overall best. You're not gonna agree with me but I don't care. Bradberry moved to safety full time. Maddox reps at both slot and safety. He's really focusing on safety this year since he's already proficient in the slot. When healthy I think Maddox is the best slot. I'd have Slay over Bland. I know Bland takes all the risks and gets all the picks, but you never see Slay get beat like an absolute drum like Bland did at times last year.