Vegas Too Early Mock

vegas492

I want to try to keep this simple.

Offseason....

Keep all EFRA's and RFA's.

Notable cuts....Tramon Williams.  Saves 4.75M.  He's a candidate, at safety, to be replaced for something better for less or equal cost.

Saying goodbye to most of our free agents.

That should leave GB around $37M under the cap, according to Spotrac.

Re-signing...Clay Matthews-EDGE/MLB.  Soft market, keep him in GB to play ILB and spots on EDGE.  2 years, $8M.  Cap hit of 4 M, year one.  Would like a different ILB to pair with Martinez, thinking though that will be Burks future home.  Getting Clay back brings more versatility than another pure ILB.

$33M to spend.  

Brings me to...free agent signings!

Big splash...Earl Thomas, 3 years, 33MCap hit of $7M in year one. Need a safety badly.  He's the best and will help mentor the young CBs. (26M left)

Image result for Earl Thomas pic

Next up...Shaquille Barrett, EDGE.  4 years, $30M.  (Spotrac value)  Tier 3 Edge to eat snaps with upside.  Cap hit of $5M year one.  (21M left)

Image result for Shaquille Barrett pic

Next up...Jesse James, TE Still young and with upside.  3 years, $15M.  Cap hit of $4M, year one.  (17M left)

Image result for Jesse James Steelers pic

Next up...A.J. Cann, guardDip from Jacksonville.  #45 guard in PFF, still young.  3 years, $12M.  4M first year cap hit.  13M left.

Image result for AJ Cann pic

That is it for free agency, leaves GB with $13M left to rollover and sign rookies.

Sorry, Perry still on the team.  Wilkerson not retained.

ONTO THE DRAFT!!!  I used CBS board and Draft Tek board...eliminated some guys from Draft Tek as I thought they were rated too low (Paris Campbell was a 5'th rounder...)

1.12--Christian Wilkens, DL, Clemson.  Board was depleted of EDGE, quickly.  Took a disruptor.  From the Draft Network..."Christian Wilkins projects favorably into an even front as a true 3T defensive tackle. Wilkins’ versatility would allow him to play at a high level in odd fronts as well, provided he’s tasked with B-gap assignments and allowed to penetrate the pocket. Wilkins has a great nose for the football and is technically advanced, he should be capable of making a positive impact for a defense very early on in his NFL career. Starter with Pro Bowl ceiling.

Image result for Christian Wilkins Clemson pic

1.32.  Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma.  GB gets a playmaker with unique skills.  From Draft Network..."Marquise “Hollywood” Brown projects as a game-breaking speed receiver in the NFL. Brown has explosive speed and the ability to tear open secondaries in all levels of the field. Brown has tremendous quickness at the top of his routes and could be successfully implemented into many kinds of offenses, although his best usage would be as a Z-receiver in a vertical passing offense. High impact player.

Image result for Marquise Brown Oklahoma pic

2.12.  Jaylon Ferguson, LA Tech.  He is a beast.  Large/long.  Set the collegiate sack record.  Slips some due to level of competition.  From Draft Network...This is where he makes his money. Terrific speed-to-power conversion with low pad level and hands inside. Strong, physical player he utilizes long arms and cross chops at the top of the arc to beat tackles’ hands. Push-pull and ****** is his signature move. Tossed around LSU’s right tackle like he was a D-III kid.

Image result for Jaylon Ferguson picture

3.11--TRADE ALERT!  GB send pick 3.11 and pick 4.12 to move up back into the second round and selects....Nasir Adderly, CB/S, Delaware.  From Draft Network...One of the most exciting things about being a draft evaluator is finding players like Adderley that you never expected to be anything special, yet they blow you away on tape. The toughest thing about Adderley’s evaluation was finding a weakness, as he appears to be a top-notch athlete with exceptional short-area quickness and fluidity, while also possessing the ability to open up and cover ground with speed and range as a single-high safety.

Extremely physical and hard-nosed with an elite competitive motor. Played his heart out in a blowout loss to North Dakota State, chasing down every play from all over the field. Relentless competitor who does not back down from anyone and plays with excellent conditioning. Has made some of the best hustle plays in college football over the past couple seasons, including this:

4.16  Michael Deiter, OT/OG/C Wisconsin.  Took a while, but value finally matched up with an OL.  From Draft Network...

Michael Deiter is a scheme diverse prospect who will bring a diverse set of tools to whichever NFL franchise drafts him. Deiter has excellent mobility and his play in space allows him to be a lead blocker on boundary plays and screens. Deiter has the needed anchor and mass to hold his ground in one on one situations and has the lateral mobility to be an effective interior pass protector, despite a lack of length to consistently land strikes first against defenders.

Image result for Michael Deiter Wisconsin pic

5.12  Ross Pierschbacher, OG, AlabamaReinforcement at G position.  From Draft Network...

Size and frame are desirable for the position. Plays with pretty good hand placement and pad level in the run game. Clean, explosive pulls. Erupts out of his stance on outside zone to gain an early step on his opponent.

Works hard to seal off lanes with good body positioning. When he times up his strikes, has the length and strength to lock up his opponent. Sets up quickly out of his stance, playing flatbacked with a good base.

Image result for Ross Pierschbacher Alabama pic

6.12  Max Scharping, OT, Northern Illinois.  Depth.  From Draft Network...NFL-caliber size and athleticism with decent length — enough to play on the boundary. Wash-away power on down blocks who does well to explode into contact as a run blocker. Effective working up into second level with good off-ball explosiveness again, taking good leverage angles to execute outside run concepts.

Image result for Max Scharping pic

7.12  Drue Tranquill.  LB/S, Notre Dame.  Was captain.  Depth/special teams.  From Draft Network...Tranquill is older, wiser and more mature than most NFL Draft prospects, traits that will appeal to the NFL. His experience, toughness and football IQ should translate immediately to a special teams unit, but a backup role might be the ceiling for Tranquill in the NFL. He’s a sharp player capable of handling a versatile combination of responsibilities at the next level, but his limitations athletically and lack of natural instincts as a run defender will hurt his ability to be an every-down starter in the NFL. Whether he gets drafted or not will depend heavily on his medicals.

Image result for drue tranquill pics

If you made it this far...thank AG#20 for this.

Lauren Elise celebrating her victory with a big yes

Whatcha think?  Hated missing out on a top EDGE.  But the boards didn't allow for one at #12 without a trade up.  Went instead for impact guys higher...building o-line depth a little later.  Found a toy on offense.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Thanks about Deiter.  Meant to put him at OT/OG/C.  

Ah gotchya. Yeah I'm not even sure I'd like him as a backup OT. He should be a pretty decent OG in the NFL though. There are some athletic/scheme fit questions (not as much as it used to be with Wisconsin prospects as they've implemented a lot more zone), but he makes sense.

I could get down with this. 3 OL in a row seems like a little much, especially after bringing in Cann. Figure there's gotta be a RB or something in there that could be a little more valuable. Wouldn't complain much though.

I don't mind the area for Adderley, talking to the guy would go just as far as any of his combine scores IMO. He's still shown to get beaten over the top in deep middle against that comp, doesn't display super sticky man. Doesn't help how tight Delaware played the safeties. I think there's a lot of risk associated with him still, but it only takes one as they say. Definitely cant knock the passion though. Gets me excited for the senior bowl.

Pretty good. Would have liked to keep Mo Wilk around. If there was one free agent I would love for us to get it is Earl Thomas, the only thing is I put our chances of nabbing him around something like 5%, reckon Boys and especially the Niners, getting him back with Sherm, will be major suitors for him.

One of my favorite mocks. Some things  I'd change is cutting Perry. time to cut our losses and move on. I don't want to pay that much for a safety rather grab another edge FA with that money. The draft is solid, looks like we're gonna be a heavy running team according to Matt. Hopefully Madison comes back and we can use some of your OL picks on a pass catching TE and a big physical D. Henry type RB. Other than that great mock.

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:25 AM, jleisher said:

The only thing I don't like, Earl Thomas.  He has made it clear he wants to be a Cowboy.  Other then that, great job!

Yeah, I just down want to see us paying big money on ageing players who are or regressing or might be about to. Save the big money for guys on a second contract.

Thomas is going to be 30 and has had a couple of bad injuries. This has got potential for going south all over it.

We've had enough problems with injuries over the last few seasons to be warned off spending loads on 30+ players who have spent 2 of the last 3 seasons on IR

Archived